Powered by Outside

Are Hydro Brakes Good For DJ/Street?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Are Hydro Brakes Good For DJ/Street?
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 13:58 Quote
thatdownhillkid wrote:
xt-shreder wrote:
bloodypalace wrote:
Riding brake less is f*ckin stupid. If you have the money, then buy hydro you wont regret it.
my thing is why waste money on a hydro(that il have to bleed over and over again) when i could spend that money on new parts
i rode my juicy fives for almost 3 years, never bled them, changed the pads twice, and they worked just as well as the first day. except for the worn out bushings. but you don't even notice that when you're riding.
i take it you never fall

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 17:09 Quote
just get a bb7 mate. save money, a lot less effort and a lot more reliable

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 17:13 Quote
yeh i agree with caravanking my bb7 is awsum

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 17:14 Quote
ben-20 wrote:
yeh i agree with caravanking my bb7 is awsum
yeah mine is apart from i smashed the little red knob off when i threw my bike over a fence to get to the other side once Razz and now it just pops off easy :/

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 17:25 Quote
haha super glue time:P

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 17:27 Quote
ben-20 wrote:
awesome idea Razz

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 17:33 Quote
caravanking wrote:
ben-20 wrote:
awesome idea Razz

or run hydros and not have that problem

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 17:35 Quote
camdenthekid wrote:
caravanking wrote:
ben-20 wrote:
awesome idea Razz

or just dont throw my bike over a fence in future:P nah thing i didnt like about my old juicy7 is the pads reset after like spins for some reason :S and bleeding was a pain in the arse copared to new cable

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 17:36 Quote
caravanking wrote:
camdenthekid wrote:
caravanking wrote:
awesome idea Razz

or just dont throw my bike over a fence in future:P nah thing i didnt like about my old bb7 is the pads reset after like spins for some reason :S and bleeding was a pain in the arse copared to new cable

haha yeah that might work too

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 17:37 Quote
camdenthekid wrote:
caravanking wrote:
camdenthekid wrote:

or just dont throw my bike over a fence in future:P nah thing i didnt like about my old bb7 is the pads reset after like spins for some reason :S and bleeding was a pain in the arse copared to new cable

haha yeah that might work too
meant to say juicy 7 ^^^

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 17:39 Quote
xt-shreder wrote:
thatdownhillkid wrote:
xt-shreder wrote:
my thing is why waste money on a hydro(that il have to bleed over and over again) when i could spend that money on new parts
i rode my juicy fives for almost 3 years, never bled them, changed the pads twice, and they worked just as well as the first day. except for the worn out bushings. but you don't even notice that when you're riding.
i take it you never fall

i dont know what falling has to do with bleeding brakes
ive fallen plenty of times
had my bike fall out of trucks and all that good stuff too
and have never had to bleed my brake

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 19:56 Quote
the closest i've ever been to breaking a hydro line was from the housing rubbing on my topcap while it was routed through my headtube. 6 months of riding and the outer part of the housing was worn through but never sprung a leak. after a proper bleed, i've never had to rebleed my brakes unless i was rerouting the housing through my headtube or needed to change the length of the line. if you're afraid of the occasional bleed (once a season maybe, more like every other, if that) then yea stick with mechs. if money is an issue, stick with mechs. if i had a choice, i'd go hydro every time, no matter what bike i'm riding. necessary? no. nice? heck yea!

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 19:58 Quote
ok so i ride a avid juicy 5 and i LOVE IT but i used to ride a bb5 and i could do tuck no handers and what not but when i put the juicy 5 on i cant. i think im just freaked bout landing and grabbing the lever any thoughts cuz i would really like to get them againFrown

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 20:05 Quote
with my fuicy 5 it blew up after a year. warranty? no, the piston is completely seized and the cable had a leak after i met a tree. now with a mech, 20 bucks and i wouldve been sorted out, but i had to pay quite a bit more to get a new hose and get my brake bled. and as for a bent disc ending your ride, with v brakes so would a taco'd rim, and bending a disc like that riding street is pretty hard, mines met a few hard landings and the worst was a little bend that i bent back by hand when it was still on the wheel. bottom line if you ride your bike alot, and your hard on it get some mechs, if your cable doesnt tend to get damaged consider a hydro, just remember that if you blow a hydro hose, your going to pay alot more than for a damn good bmx cable

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 22:20 Quote
camdenthekid wrote:
xt-shreder wrote:
thatdownhillkid wrote:
i take it you never fall

i dont know what falling has to do with bleeding brakes
ive fallen plenty of times
had my bike fall out of trucks and all that good stuff too
and have never had to bleed my brake
iv seen i bike get thrown mid air on a dirt jump and the brake was done right away iv also seen hydro lines ripped out of levers
but brakeless doesn't have that problem, and it doesn't limit my riding so its a win win

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 1.157622
Mobile Version of Website