Powered by Outside

Mondraker Summum

PB Forum :: Downhill
Mondraker Summum
Posted: Jun 18, 2017 at 11:02 Quote
sickinthahyde wrote:
Hi all,

Lots of good info in here.

I'm looking at picking up a summum after finding a good deal local to me. What weight spring would suit me at 11 stone? With gear I would be about 12 stone or just over.

The bike currently has a 400lb spring. The sag seemed ok on a car park test but it was hard to measure.

The 888 RC3 Evo forks didn't really sag when sat on the bike but I guess that's because it's so slack. Standing up on it they probably compressed about two fingers width. Would you say that's too firm?

I'm coming from a VP free which I really love but it's not confidence inspiring on the steep stuff and when going fast which I really want now, especially as we're off to Morzine. Is this the right bike for me?

Thanks for your help in advance!

I suppose you're talking about the 27.5 one. I am about 72kg (11.3 Stone) and with de CCDB Coil I used a 400lbs. It was a bit softer than I would like. I have a 450 SA SPRING liyng around and a 450lbs Ti coil. I only tried the Ti on the parking test and It seemed harder, I'm waiting for proper testing

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 at 12:30 Quote
DynamiteMTB wrote:
sickinthahyde wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking at picking up a summum after finding a good deal local to me. What weight spring would suit me at 11 stone? With gear I would be about 12 stone or just over.

The bike currently has a 400lb spring. The sag seemed ok on a car park test but it was hard to measure.

The 888 RC3 Evo forks didn't really sag when sat on the bike but I guess that's because it's so slack. Standing up on it they probably compressed about two fingers width. Would you say that's too firm?

I'm coming from a VP free which I really love but it's not confidence inspiring on the steep stuff and when going fast which I really want now, especially as we're off to Morzine. Is this the right bike for me?

I suppose you're talking about the 27.5 one. I am about 72kg (11.3 Stone) and with de CCDB Coil I used a 400lbs. It was a bit softer than I would like. I have a 450 SA SPRING liyng around and a 450lbs Ti coil. I only tried the Ti on the parking test and It seemed harder, I'm waiting for proper testing

Thanks for the reply!

I should have specified it's a 2014 so a 26" and a medium as I'm about 5' 9". It's a fox dhx rc4 shock.

Are the shocks different on the 27.5" ones?

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 at 14:53 Quote
sickinthahyde wrote:
DynamiteMTB wrote:
sickinthahyde wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the reply!

I should have specified it's a 2014 so a 26" and a medium as I'm about 5' 9". It's a fox dhx rc4 shock.

Are the shocks different on the 27.5" ones?

I don't know on the 14', but on my old 26' 2012 Summum it was 240mm, while de 27.5 it's 222mm

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 15:43 Quote
Can anyone else shed any light on the 2014 26" summum spring weights for my weight?

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 16:37 Quote
Can't remember if I've actually posted my Summum, so even though I've had it a while, here it is after a wee few upgrades.

Summum after a few wee changes

Also, @sickinthehyde, I actually weigh a tiny bit more than you (75 - 80kg) and I'm running a 400 spring. I've never bottomed out (though I did once buzz the back of the seat till I adjusted it) and I've done some pretty damn big hits in Queenstown etc. The Summum has all that travel, use it! Just have it matched evenly to your forks and get the dampening to ramp up at the end. Nice and soft with no bottom out. tup

Posted: Jun 19, 2017 at 23:51 Quote
That looks good Skootur! Love how these bikes look.

Thanks for the info, sounds like the 400 should be just right for me then, if anything I was worried I'd need a 350!

The forks I can compress about 50% of the travel just bouncing on the bike in the car park. Does that sound about right? My current 888's will go down about 80% if I do the same but then maybe they're too soft...

Also what are they like in the air? Confidence inspiring?

Posted: Jun 20, 2017 at 1:36 Quote
My 2013 Summum is equipped with 400lbs spring and my weight is 66kgs... I`ve lost about 10kgs recently and mostly muscles but at least i am totally ripped right now with less than 4 % of FAT.

400lbs with my current 66kgs weight is perfect if you open the HSC on the shock and put some LSC on it.

Regarding the fork- i am running my FOX 40 with green spring - eg up to 95kg/s and it`s perfect , as before the lighter blue one was really soft .

I like the firm ride more so i can pull more easily and i prefer my rebound a tad faster and my bike is very playful.

Clutch derailleurs- i believe the clutch has some minor effect on the suspension, because of the rider weight and force put on the suspension even when the bike is only in SAG.
But nonetheless, this is an interesting topic i would like to discuss more with you and hear your thoughts.

Quote:
The forks I can compress about 50% of the travel just bouncing on the bike in the car park. Does that sound about right? My current 888's will go down about 80% if I do the same but then maybe they're too soft...

Also what are they like in the air? Confidence inspiring?

50 % and even 80% is huge, just huge- you need to run a firmer fork or a put a stiffer spring on it. They are definitely too soft for you now and you`ll get a lot of issues when riding.
Perfect fork SAG for me is around 15%-20%.
Consider to replace the fork spring with a stiffer one or run a higher pressure.

Posted: Jun 20, 2017 at 15:41 Quote
I got a 2013 with dhx rc4.
Im 70kg with full gear and i ride 350 spring, i think its too soft so i ordered a 375 ti spring.
400 sounds really stiff tho...?

Posted: Jun 20, 2017 at 16:44 Quote
I have a 2016 with a fox dhx2. I think it came 450 but I put a 550 on it. I am 210 pounds and I like my bike stiff.

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 0:03 Quote
my 2015 summum am running a rc4 kashmia with a 450 pound sls spring im 83kg or 182 pound
photo

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 0:52 Quote
Well, 400 lbs spring for me is just perfect or at least it was last season when i was heavier with around 8-10kgs.
I am not planning to replace is as the bike feels good now also but it is a rider preference as well.

Keep in mind that Summum is very progressive frame and the manufacturer recommends to run 35-40% SAG.
Most important is bike balance- fork and shock stiffness should be equal.
Air shocks are not recommended for this frame.

customcore: 350 vs 375 is a very small marginal difference so i would advise you to try with 400lbs spring which should be the perfect one for you.

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 7:43 Quote
Meet my new Beast!

Pro Team Carbon 2017

Changed the grips and Fox stickers.

photo

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 8:31 Quote
zixs wrote:
Clutch derailleurs- i believe the clutch has some minor effect on the suspension, because of the rider weight and force put on the suspension even when the bike is only in SAG.
But nonetheless, this is an interesting topic i would like to discuss more with you and hear your thoughts.

This could be an interesting topic.. Running a clutch derailleur definitely takes away some of the small bump sensitivity IMO. Remember when Gwin came down without a chain in Leogang and said he couldn't believe how much better the suspension worked without a chain?

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 at 1:21 Quote
Hello guys,
thanks for accepting in your forum. I have a MONDRAKER SUMMUM 2015, with FOX VAN R 400x2.80 and MARZOCCHI 380 CR with 6.5k spring. I would ask a question: I weight 75-77 kg dress, and I find the SUMMUM a bit stiff. What advice do I give to make SUMMUM softer, among the stones and roots of plants in the woods?

Thanks for your help.... Andrea from ITALY

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 at 1:56 Quote
staike wrote:
zixs wrote:

This could be an interesting topic.. Running a clutch derailleur definitely takes away some of the small bump sensitivity IMO. Remember when Gwin came down without a chain in Leogang and said he couldn't believe how much better the suspension worked without a chain?

Completely agree with you. Of course, there is a different affect of the clutch derailleur based on the suspension design and specifically, how much chain-growth the frame does( and rearward travel) . Summum has a middle chain-growth at around 30mm max.

Andrea83: Summum is a very progressive frame, thus way Mondraker suggest to run it at around 35-40% SAG.
I`m 65kg running a 400 lbs spring and it`s totally fine for me.
Can you try to open your shock HSC to the max, eg running no HSC at all ?
For the LSC i will advise you to run it in the middle-high setup in order to be able to pump the bike easier through high speed berms and corners ?

Additionally if you got a lot of feedback from the bike when ridiing roots and rocks, you can check your rebound settings if they are too fast.

For your MZ 380: Open up the HSC and run a higher LSC to prevent brake-dive and be able to pull easier.

Please note, bike balance is very important so your shock and fork should match their settings in regards to stiffness and SAG.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014329
Mobile Version of Website