Powered by Outside

Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: Dec 29, 2023 at 16:58 Quote
Anyone had issues slamming a 180mm oneup v2 on a size large m2? I rode with it almost slammed for about 6 months without issue and pulled the dropper to rebuild it and now I cannot get it to work. The post has basically zero cable tension on it but goes up and down without the lever being depressed unless I raise the post up an inch or so. I think the extreme angle of the cable going into the actuator is creating enough tension to leave it partially engaged.

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2024 at 7:20 Quote
topherdagopher wrote:
Anyone had issues slamming a 180mm oneup v2 on a size large m2? I rode with it almost slammed for about 6 months without issue and pulled the dropper to rebuild it and now I cannot get it to work. The post has basically zero cable tension on it but goes up and down without the lever being depressed unless I raise the post up an inch or so. I think the extreme angle of the cable going into the actuator is creating enough tension to leave it partially engaged.

I had issues with slamming a 200mm PNW dropper in my Megatower V1, the cable housing kinked at the bottom and occasionally made cause the cable to jam up.

I recently installed a 210mm OneUp v2 into my Megatower v2 and I could not slam it to the collar, not even with it shimmed down to 200mm. Again the cable housing kinked with it slammed and put way too much tension on the cable/lever.
I managed to get it working nicely at a height that I'm happy with, but you'd need really long legs to make use of the full 210mm of drop.

I don't think a 180mm dropper would be such a problem.

Posted: Jan 5, 2024 at 17:40 Quote
drake88 wrote:
topherdagopher wrote:

I had issues with slamming a 200mm PNW dropper in my Megatower V1, the cable housing kinked at the bottom and occasionally made cause the cable to jam up.

I recently installed a 210mm OneUp v2 into my Megatower v2 and I could not slam it to the collar, not even with it shimmed down to 200mm. Again the cable housing kinked with it slammed and put way too much tension on the cable/lever.
I managed to get it working nicely at a height that I'm happy with, but you'd need really long legs to make use of the full 210mm of drop.

I don't think a 180mm dropper would be such a problem.

Hey, thanks for the response.

I am able to slam the post and can’t feel it hit the bottom or get even close, so I think it’s just the extreme angle of the housing bend. I was able to get it working but only after tweaking with it for a couple of hours and shaving down the cable end cap to give a little more flexibility to the cable end and increase the angle.

I swear when I bought the post that SC said that a 180 post was stated compatible on a large but now they say a 150 is the limit slammed.

Posted: Jan 25, 2024 at 13:50 Quote
If it can help, i've got a oneup 180 on my large v2, no problem slamming it to the collar.

Posted: Feb 8, 2024 at 20:55 Quote
Megatower 2 frame and vivid ultimate turned up this week, finally get to build it up after work tonight, interested to see how much better it is than my v1

Posted: Feb 8, 2024 at 23:27 Quote
Turboute wrote:
Megatower 2 frame and vivid ultimate turned up this week, finally get to build it up after work tonight, interested to see how much better it is than my v1

Is there a megatower 2 vivid tune or just generic tune?

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2024 at 6:15 Quote
Yes, they have a mega-specific one.

Posted: Feb 9, 2024 at 8:16 Quote
I’ve got the megatower specific one, it’s a tight fit and the rebound adjuster is right underneath the rear shock guard. Fwiw the xl Cc v2 frame is half a kilo heavier than my v1 xl c frame, I’ve only pedalled it up and down the street, I think it’s going to be a good bit of gear

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2024 at 12:07 Quote
Did you upstroke from 62.5 to 65mm?

I found going from the v1 to the v2 a massive improvement in dh performance. But it definitely took a few rides to get myself acquainted. The front center being quite a bit longer and the stack being 15mm higher (at least on the large) had me having to mindfully focus on keeping my weight more forward to maintain front end traction when cornering at speed.

Once I got it setup and became used to the bike I found it incredibly confidence inspiring on the downs. I find myself off the brakes a lot more and trusting the bike to handle what's coming at me. The faster you go the better it feels.

Posted: Feb 9, 2024 at 16:38 Quote
Nah still at 62.5, I’m running the same floor to bar height as my v1. I’m going to nz for a race in 3 weeks so I’m hoping I get a base setup and feel pretty comfortable quickly

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2024 at 18:22 Quote
I did the same with my MT2. Slammed the stem to get it the same stack as my MT1. Definitely helped. 3 weeks should be plenty of time!

Posted: Feb 12, 2024 at 5:09 Quote
I have the 2024 mod with the sram XO transmission and I am getting ALOT of chainslap. Especially over braking bumps in parks, or lots of roots on trails. Seems to resonate through the whole frame, like knocking hollow wood on hollow wood.
It's driving me absolutely crazy and I have tried to add extra dampening around exposed area's but it does not help. I am 100% sure it's chainslap because the bike is dead silent in lighter gear.
One of the main reasons for why I wanted a new bike was because I wanted the sram transmission system, so I don't wanne switch to shimano or other brands.

Does anyone have any suggestions here?

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2024 at 7:29 Quote
I’m not sure if they went to tube in tube internal routing on the rear ends of the 2024s, but I had to put foam tubing over my brake hoses to get the same sound to stop. I thought mine was chainslap originally, but it was the shift cab / brake hose against the carbon.

Jagwire makes the foam housing I think.

Posted: Feb 15, 2024 at 16:10 Quote
orangeMTBrider wrote:
I’m not sure if they went to tube in tube internal routing on the rear ends of the 2024s, but I had to put foam tubing over my brake hoses to get the same sound to stop. I thought mine was chainslap originally, but it was the shift cab / brake hose against the carbon.

Jagwire makes the foam housing I think.

Yeah I noticed mine rattling the other day, I’ll fix it this weekend.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2024 at 16:52 Quote
Marthybikes wrote:
I have the 2024 mod with the sram XO transmission and I am getting ALOT of chainslap. Especially over braking bumps in parks, or lots of roots on trails. Seems to resonate through the whole frame, like knocking hollow wood on hollow wood.
It's driving me absolutely crazy and I have tried to add extra dampening around exposed area's but it does not help. I am 100% sure it's chainslap because the bike is dead silent in lighter gear.
One of the main reasons for why I wanted a new bike was because I wanted the sram transmission system, so I don't wanne switch to shimano or other brands.

Does anyone have any suggestions here?

I had a crazy knocking (I described it as two giant lego blocks smashing into each other) when I first got my bike, too. The local shop manager and I were tearing our hair out, trying to figure it out. I had him borrow my bike for a bit and ride it and try to diagnose it that way, because we just couldn't figure it out. SC ended up sending me like virtually all rear-end components (new links, hardware, glovebox door, you name it) under warranty to help. We were pretty frustrated, so we just swapped everything, and I've never heard the noise again. Sort of wish we did one by one to figure out exactly what the cause was.

I have also had some intermittent noise from things in my glovebox. I found I have to have it jammed tight full of things or it's a giant dh maraka. I actually would rather without the glovebox personally, but it sounds like some others here like frame storage.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010115
Mobile Version of Website