wheres the younger generation gone?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
wheres the younger generation gone?
Posted: Jun 13, 2012 at 12:03 Quote
Yeah, it kinda sucks. I'm 17 and got into mountain biking about 6 years ago on a '95 Gt rebound. At the time, about half the people I knew around my age were riding, but now only two of my friends still ride with me on occasion. Everyone else either plays video games or does some other sport (other sports aren't a bad thing, I just wish there were more bikers). My brother is a sad picture, he's 13 and even though I've tried to get him into both mountain biking and dirt biking, he'd rather play COD on the Playstation all day. I'm slipping a bit myself since I don't like to ride alone. Maybe it's the crappy weather, or maybe it's my lack of transportation to a good spot to ride. All I know is that I'm moving to Vermont for college. Hopefully there's more active riders up there.

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 at 15:24 Quote
Jcloutier wrote:
Yeah, it kinda sucks. I'm 17 and got into mountain biking about 6 years ago on a '95 Gt rebound. At the time, about half the people I knew around my age were riding, but now only two of my friends still ride with me on occasion. Everyone else either plays video games or does some other sport (other sports aren't a bad thing, I just wish there were more bikers). My brother is a sad picture, he's 13 and even though I've tried to get him into both mountain biking and dirt biking, he'd rather play COD on the Playstation all day. I'm slipping a bit myself since I don't like to ride alone. Maybe it's the crappy weather, or maybe it's my lack of transportation to a good spot to ride. All I know is that I'm moving to Vermont for college. Hopefully there's more active riders up there.

Keep the faith Dude. Moving away to college sounds like it might be a good all around plan for you. Hit the local shops when you get there. Ask about ride groups, trail stewardship stuff, local bike advocacy, etc. Basic stuff. Most shops should be cool about passing on information to a rider new to the area. If they aren't, then that says a lot about that shop. Sometimes you have to work a little bit harder to get yourself plugged into a riding scene, but it will definitely be worth it.

Posted: Jun 14, 2012 at 4:02 Quote
Jcloutier wrote:
he's 13 and even though I've tried to get him into both mountain biking and dirt biking, he'd rather play COD on the Playstation all day.

Same with mine, the only thing he does is maybe go out on his skateboard 20 minutes per week...

He's not that good on a bicycle, at his age(15) I had like 9 years of riding experience.

Posted: Jun 14, 2012 at 13:14 Quote
Where I live I find that the bikers are either casuals, young kids or tourists and only the kids actually go hard these days.

Posted: Jun 14, 2012 at 21:13 Quote
my brother rides scooters... all day every day. also he sits on the playstation heaps. we're losing one of our good riding buddies to xbox and minecraft too. really sad because hes an amazing rider.

Posted: Jun 15, 2012 at 6:46 Quote
By me its bmx, scooter or xbox:'( i prefer dirt jumps and freeride but no one else does, so i have to ride on my own most days and as a result i have bought a bmx, just so i can see my matesFrown

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2012 at 13:26 Quote
im 15 and i love riding so not all of us are lost but most areFacepalm

Posted: Jun 27, 2012 at 22:09 Quote
yukonman wrote:
im 15 and i love riding so not all of us are lost but most areFacepalm
+1 Smile

Posted: Sep 5, 2012 at 6:30 Quote
I am 17 and ride all the time though in my area its rare to see anyone out on the trails under 25 and the vast majority of people my age I see are fat and riding crappy bikes without helmets.

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 7:22 Quote
Kids there in drogs ., yesctesy .MDMA an alcohol. That is the future dying slow an whe can see the different now

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 7:24 Quote
nomad2010uk wrote:
Kids there in drogs ., yesctesy .MDMA an alcohol. That is the future dying slow an whe can see the different now
drugs*
extacy*
MDMA is extacy!
Just because that's what me and others do, doesn't mean we don't ride!

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 7:43 Quote
I-SHOOT-NOOBS wrote:
nomad2010uk wrote:
drugs*
extacy*
MDMA is extacy!
i hate doing any type of drug. I never have done drugs and i never will.

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 7:45 Quote
bikejunkie88 wrote:
I-SHOOT-NOOBS wrote:
nomad2010uk wrote:
drugs*
extacy*
MDMA is extacy!
I don't do extacy or anything like that!
Just a little bit of weed now and then, chill us out!

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 7:48 Quote
I-SHOOT-NOOBS wrote:
bikejunkie88 wrote:
I-SHOOT-NOOBS wrote:

drugs*
extacy*
MDMA is extacy!
im 15, all my friends do weed and pretty much everything else. I'v seen What it can do and have no intrest in getting involved in it

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 8:59 Quote
bikejunkie88 wrote:
I-SHOOT-NOOBS wrote:
bikejunkie88 wrote:

im 15, all my friends do weed and pretty much everything else. I'v seen What it can do and have no intrest in getting involved in it
I'm in the same boat , if you need weed to chill your talking crap ,people are just doing it to be cool most of the time

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015711
Mobile Version of Website