The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 1:50 Quote
pigman65 wrote:
Mainly to irritate you Uroborus, nothing to do with the awesomeness of the Nicolai , or fiddly mobile touch screens lol

I KNEW IT!

Anyway, thanks for the explanaton, did not know about the "mobile problem".

Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 2:54 Quote
stefanroussev wrote:
haborym wrote:
The Canfield is really sloping!
The BB seems quiet low isn't it?
I would rather have a lower BB than higher.

For sure! The lowest the better! Especially with big wheels Smile

Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 9:14 Quote
The bottom bracket of my Canfield EPO with a 140mm Pike measures 12.5". I've had higher with my Surly Instigator and lower with my Kona Honzo. I think 12.5 is perfect and wouldn't want any lower.

Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 10:06 Quote
dingus wrote:
Toad - Hattie
Never heard of toad before, looks to be a nice frame.

Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 12:40 Quote
HonzoRider wrote:
The bottom bracket of my Canfield EPO with a 140mm Pike measures 12.5". I've had higher with my Surly Instigator and lower with my Kona Honzo. I think 12.5 is perfect and wouldn't want any lower.
What is your 2 cents on Canfield EPO? Is there plenty of clearance for 27.5+ wheel/tire combo?Smile

Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 13:17 Quote
stefanroussev wrote:
HonzoRider wrote:
What is your 2 cents on Canfield EPO? Is there plenty of clearance for 27.5+ wheel/tire combo?Smile

I read somewhere that they fitted a WTB Trailblazer on a 28mm rim and it had plenty of clearance. I currently have a 29x2.4 Ardent rear and Minion 2.5 front. The Ardent fits fine, but I wouldn't want to run a 2.5 tire back there. Sorry I can't help more, but my guess is 27.5 will fit fine.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 21:03 Quote
HonzoRider, how does the EPO frame feel relative to those other bikes...steel vs carbon for a hardcore hardtail? Please elaborate if you can...very curious.

Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 21:44 Quote
Rusty-Russ wrote:
HonzoRider, how does the EPO frame feel relative to those other bikes...steel vs carbon for a hardcore hardtail? Please elaborate if you can...very curious.

Honestly I was really surprised at how compliant it feels compared to my Surly Instigator and my Honzo. It's a different feel though. I want to say that it's almost more vertically compliant initially but becomes more progressive and snaps back faster than the other two bikes. If I was ranking stiffness alone, stiffest to most compliant, I'd say Instigator, EPO, and Honzo very close behind. But, I am on a loaner set of wheels until my carbon hoops come in from China, so I can't say for certain if it's the frame or wheels. Also the Instigator had 40mm Carbon Derbys and the Honzo had Flow Exs, and the EPO has a WTB i23 rear/ Flow front for now.

I will say that the EPO is the best hardtail I've ever ridden, period. I've owned a Balance 250, Voodooo Bizango, Niner MCR, Niner Air9, two Kona Honzos, and a Surly Instigator.

The Canfield is a Honzo on EPO! It's longer, lower, much lighter, and slacker. It feels like it has a motor pedaling because it's so efficient. To be clear, any compliancy is tuned to the stays but the top/down/head tube and BB are efficient as hell. And it has more tire clearance than the Honzo, but not as much as the Instigator.

Overall, if you're worried about losing the feel of steel switching to carbon I'd say if steel is real then carbon is magic.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 23:19 Quote
HonzoRider wrote:
Rusty-Russ wrote:

Honestly I was really surprised at how compliant it feels compared to my Surly Instigator and my Honzo. It's a different feel though. I want to say that it's almost more vertically compliant initially but becomes more progressive and snaps back faster than the other two bikes. If I was ranking stiffness alone, stiffest to most compliant, I'd say Instigator, EPO, and Honzo very close behind. But, I am on a loaner set of wheels until my carbon hoops come in from China, so I can't say for certain if it's the frame or wheels. Also the Instigator had 40mm Carbon Derbys and the Honzo had Flow Exs, and the EPO has a WTB i23 rear/ Flow front for now.

I will say that the EPO is the best hardtail I've ever ridden, period. I've owned a Balance 250, Voodooo Bizango, Niner MCR, Niner Air9, two Kona Honzos, and a Surly Instigator.

The Canfield is a Honzo on EPO! It's longer, lower, much lighter, and slacker. It feels like it has a motor pedaling because it's so efficient. To be clear, any compliancy is tuned to the stays but the top/down/head tube and BB are efficient as hell. And it has more tire clearance than the Honzo, but not as much as the Instigator.

Overall, if you're worried about losing the feel of steel switching to carbon I'd say if steel is real then carbon is magic.
be sure to get some pics up when the rims arrive its sure to be a looker - love your instigator one of my favorite frames & thats probably the best one ive seen.
Interesting write-up, hard to guage how much riding characteristic is contributed by the frame with such a mix of wheel sizes & rim types.

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 0:01 Quote
Not had a Shan posted for a while, so here you go, a Shan:

photo
photo

Hot or Not?

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 0:02 Quote
"I'd say if steel is real then carbon is
magic."

It's the good end word!

It's strange to read that this carbon frame feels smother than a steel one, but as you said the geometry is so different...

Even I would try it to appreciate its feather weight and its ability to save the rider in high speed run!

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 8:03 Quote
I believe this is a 05/06 ? Chameleon. This pic was taken last night.

New bar, paint job, stem, brakes, pedals, fork, and tires coming very soon!

photo

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 8:14 Quote
[/Quote]
be sure to get some pics up when the rims arrive its sure to be a looker - love your instigator one of my favorite frames & thats probably the best one ive seen.
Interesting write-up, hard to guage how much riding characteristic is contributed by the frame with such a mix of wheel sizes & rim types.[/Quote]

Thanks! I'll definitely be posting pics in a couple weeks. With regards to the EPO compliance, I think the Canfield Bros. really did their homework and didn't just put out a stiff as hell frame. The bends in the seat stays look to encourage flex while the bends in the head and downtube seem to resist it.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2015 at 9:33 Quote
Thanks for the feedback HonzoRider!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026085
Mobile Version of Website