Powered by Outside

YT-Industries' bikes

PB Forum :: Downhill
YT-Industries' bikes
Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 6:13 Quote
adrenalinaddict wrote:
So yesterday, on its 3rd ride from new my Large 2013 Wicked 650B failed.

Upon compression on a smooth landing the rear derailleur went through the rear wheel taking out a few spokes on its way and wrapped itself round the chainstay.

Damage report:

- Derailleur destroyed
- Rear hanger sheared in half
- Damaged gear cable
- Twisted chain
- 2 damaged spokes
- Damaged hub possibly from where spokes pulled through.
- Rim seems to be ok
- Deeply scratched chainstay

Personaly I think this shouldn't have happened, especially since it was it's 3rd ride on a pretty tame trail. What do you think my chances are of getting this warranted?

How is that even possible ? Eek

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 6:15 Quote
they might claim the mech or hanger was loose, and you can't really prove it either way

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 6:23 Quote
GuilhermeGouveia wrote:
adrenalinaddict wrote:
So yesterday, on its 3rd ride from new my Large 2013 Wicked 650B failed.

Upon compression on a smooth landing the rear derailleur went through the rear wheel taking out a few spokes on its way and wrapped itself round the chainstay.

Damage report:

- Derailleur destroyed
- Rear hanger sheared in half
- Damaged gear cable
- Twisted chain
- 2 damaged spokes
- Damaged hub possibly from where spokes pulled through.
- Rim seems to be ok
- Deeply scratched chainstay

Personaly I think this shouldn't have happened, especially since it was it's 3rd ride on a pretty tame trail. What do you think my chances are of getting this warranted?

How is that even possible ? Eek

Something was not set up correctly and that is not the bike's fail.

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 6:34 Quote
A derailier can't just jump into the spokes without some kind of impact even if the hanger's knackered
Especially if, as the poster has suggested, this was on a landing where it's not under load
Sounds fishy to me

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 6:37 Quote
Thinking about getting a wicked pro 650b, I assume the descend well, how do they climb?

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 6:41 Quote
Graeme4130 wrote:
A derailier can't just jump into the spokes without some kind of impact even if the hanger's knackered
Especially if, as the poster has suggested, this was on a landing where it's not under load
Sounds fishy to me

I'd happily accept responsibility if I knew it was my fault however

1) I was in 2/3 8/10 gear ratio, so the dérailleur was far away from the spokes
2) It was a wide clear landing, no tree stumps or other plantation for it to catch on or strike
3) I ran it though it's gears on a bike stand prior to riding it and it performed fine.

I'm puzzled on how it happened, doesn't make any sense to me

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 7:07 Quote
Shit happens, I've done exactly the same on my DH bike in the past.

I put it down to catching my derailleur on something which forced it into the spokes. I could never identify exactly why it happened but you can't surely be looking to blame the manufacturer?

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 7:28 Quote
This happen once to my brother, a tree branch pushed his derailleur in to the spokes and the result was the same, obviously he did not know what happened, but I was behind him and saw every thing, it was super bad luck Cry I'm not saying that is you case, but some times, something can happen with out you seeing it, in the case of my brother if I was not behind him, and saw it happen, he would of never known what was the reason

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 11:30 Quote
adrenalinaddict wrote:
Graeme4130 wrote:
Sounds fishy to me

2) It was a wide clear landing, no tree stumps or other plantation for it to catch on or strike
3) I ran it though it's gears on a bike stand prior to riding it and it performed fine.

You have a uni loan, use it!

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 11:55 Quote
adrenalinaddict wrote:
Graeme4130 wrote:
Sounds fishy to me

It does sound bizarre, but in all my years, I've never seen a derailier hit the spokes on a bike without something forcing it in
Just question the scenarios ;
1) Hanger fails (as in snaps) = derailier pulls back into gears) - if not pedaling, the derailier spring pulls the whole thing straight and it hits your chain stay
2) mech snaps and same as above
3) gear cable snaps - derailier pulls into 10th gear
4) any others

None of these things will pull the derailier into your spokes, and it's certainly not a small impact to bend one that way
I'm as lost as you are

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 12:01 Quote
Rear hangar could have been bent in transit / wink wink use that as an excuse to claim compensation throught the delivery company.

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 12:06 Quote
He's ridden it twice with no issue & had it since November 2013 according to his profile.... derp, good luck claiming delivery damage almost 5 months later. Rolleyes

How about not being a cheap skate and just pay for your repairs?

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 13:20 Quote
carrot-cruncher wrote:
Rear hangar could have been bent in transit / wink wink use that as an excuse to claim compensation throught the delivery company.

you dont have a YT...Leave ginger.

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 18:28 Quote
Sh*t breaks on DH bikes. A nice rock claimed the expensive rear derailleur on my Tues just 2 weeks after I took delivery of the bike. This is after having a track record of never breaking one before in all my years of riding.

So that was 200$ cuz I refused to "downgrade" to a X9 on something I just bought (yes I know they perform about the same) so I just bit the cost.

Posted: Apr 14, 2014 at 4:40 Quote
Could be a loose spoke - when you land a jump extra pressure on wheel bows the spoke out so it can catch and pull rear mech into wheel?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014052
Mobile Version of Website