Powered by Outside

How do I Clean Disc Brakes

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How do I Clean Disc Brakes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 26, 2010 at 2:00 Quote
I am running avid juicy 5's and they squeel really badly when under hard breaking. I know the pads arent worn out as the bike has only been ridden 15 times. Does anyone know how to cleand the pads and rotors.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2010 at 8:06 Quote
try using search. its been covered MANY times.

Posted: May 26, 2010 at 8:40 Quote
Buy brake cleaner. Muc-off does a good one.
Just spray it on your rotor and pads, leave it for a min or two, then wipe off. Allow brakes to bed in again. Simple as Big Grin

Worse case is a new set of pads if the oil has soaked in.

Posted: May 26, 2010 at 8:57 Quote
i got fliud all over my rotor the other week, i put it in a frying pan with boiling water and a very very tiny bit of fairy liquid (which is strong) and it cleaned up well, i have no squeal at all. Its the cheapest way of doing it.

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 at 1:36 Quote
if the rubing alcohol dosnt work use 180 sand paper and ruf up the disc and break pads

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 at 1:37 Quote
go to your local auto parts store and ask for brake clean...

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 at 6:43 Quote
su11y wrote:
if the rubing alcohol dosnt work use 180 sand paper and ruf up the disc and break pads
wouldn't that make the pads wear down quicker becasue there would be more friction to them?

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 at 22:02 Quote
hardcastle95 wrote:
su11y wrote:
wouldn't that make the pads wear down quicker becasue there would be more friction to them?

ya it dose wear the pads out faster but not much faster but if ur breaks arnt griping and u dont wanna buy new pads if u ruf them up a bit then it brings back the bite they started with.

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 at 22:21 Quote
Your brake pads are probably glazed. Use a clean cloth with some denatured alcohol to wipe down the rotors. Lightly sand the pads down - their appearance should change as the glazed part is sanded away and the fresh pad material appears. Put the bads back in and burn in your brakes carefully, and you should be fine.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 4:42 Quote
ah right, i get you know, you obv wouldn't need to do that with new pads but it would save you some money until you really needed to buy new pads, cheers Smile

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 5:35 Quote
I'm a shop tech, I use rubbing achohol 70% with a clean rag.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 21:01 Quote
smokeythebear wrote:
I'm a shop tech, I use rubbing achohol 70% with a clean rag.

We use simple brake cleaner that we buy in bulk at canadian tire. Gets the job done, plus you can use brake cleaner to clean everything that has been contaminated with grease or oil.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009631
Mobile Version of Website