Preventing Pinch Flats

PB Forum :: Downhill
Preventing Pinch Flats
Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 15:14 Quote
So if no to dh tubes your gonna need dh tyres at the very least.

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 15:22 Quote
latex tubes and a small amount of stans sealent end of story

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 15:26 Quote
I use Presta valves that can be removed by a spoke wrench and toss in some Sealant and that seems to help a bit.

I also have straight tubeless rims and ghetto tubeless setups.

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 15:29 Quote
Nobble wrote:
jinx wrote:
Nobble wrote:
I agree but theyre F-ing heavy. I noticed a huge difference swapping from a regualr tube to a DH tube.

Visit the gym, get some muscles and stop bitching. I'd cry myself to sleep if I'd call 200 gr "F-ing heavy".

As a weekend warrior, what do you care about the most? Thinner wallet and thinner tubes, or thicker wallet and thicker tubes? Go waste your hard earned money on something better than changing tubes after every second ride.
May I suggest acquiring a gym card? Beig more fit will most certainly make you go way faster than a pair of thinner tubes.
Im merely saying that downhill tubes make a difference to rolling resistace, instead of buying DH tubes, why dont you learn not to be a hack? As for going to the gym, F-that, I have played soccer since I was 7 and ride at least 4 times a week, and I hike back up the trails. Leg strength is something I do not lack.
The only Time I will run DH tubes is for park riding when going up dosent matter.

Okey, so dont cry about flats then.

Best regards a hack who rides dh-tubes along with dual ply dh tyres.

Posted: Jun 19, 2010 at 0:45 Quote
Just ride the rim

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 at 12:45 Quote
Ompalompa wrote:
Just ride the rim
lol

Posted: Oct 18, 2014 at 16:38 Quote
Just purchased a new 2014 Trek Remedy two weeks ago. And I have gone throuth 3 tubes due to pinch flats. So I decided to take off the rear wheel to throughly inspect tire, tube and rim. I discovered the factory installed rim tape had folds in it. Meaning it was intsalled improperly. I replaced the factory tape with duct tape and problem all gone.

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 9:10 Quote
I had hope pro 2 hubs built to mavic 729s this year front and back and near the end of the season ballpark 30 park days this year the rear wheel was cracked and I'd had 9 pinch flats I'm a big dude but I was running 30-32 psi iin non foldable DH casing minions so I finally had enough and am currently having an 823 built up for the rear. I'm still unsure how I feel about tubeless. I have 1 friend who loves it but gets at least 1 flat every day of riding and 2 other friends that run tubeless and never get flats so I decided to try it.

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 13:04 Quote
Talcum is one of the more durable urban legends. There is no benefit in putting talcum or substitute powder on a tube or in a tire.
-Sheldon Brown
http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/talcum.html

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2014 at 15:08 Quote
It does do something. It prevents your tube from fusing to the inside of your tire. As your tire sweats (due to moisture in the air) it can actually fuse or stick to the tire.... This is very rare and only happens when a tube is within the tire for prolonged periods. Talc does not do nothing though.

Posted: Oct 21, 2014 at 15:58 Quote
As I posted before the rim is usually not suspect. replacing the rim tape solved my problems. The factory installed rim tape was put on wrong so I took matters into my own hands and found a simple solution for a common problem.

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 at 8:23 Quote
SoFlaBiker wrote:
As I posted before the rim is usually not suspect. replacing the rim tape solved my problems. The factory installed rim tape was put on wrong so I took matters into my own hands and found a simple solution for a common problem.
What was wrong with? What rim tape are you using now?

Posted: Dec 7, 2014 at 8:36 Quote
The rim tape was installed improperly, the edges of the the tape were folded in on several spots. So I replaced it with duct tape. I measured the internal width of my rim 22mm and cut it to fit. No more mysterious pinch flats.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021051
Mobile Version of Website