Why are so many XC / AM people not wearing FF helmets?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Why are so many XC / AM people not wearing FF helmets?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 20:14 Quote
Ive been doing XC for a year now moving into more agressive freeride and light DH. bailed the other day and was VERY close to losing my face but saved myself and rolled in the air.

I am now shopping for a full face helmet. I don't care if downhillers laugh at me. In quebec our "XC" trails are pretty damn dangerous with roots and rocks at least compared to out west. and I with a FF I think my "ball size" will increase a lot.

Just curious though why so many people doing aggressive XC in are not in full face helmets is this simply a lack of respect for your face / brains / life?!

Cheers.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 20:27 Quote
I used to ride downhill without a full face. The reason people don't wear full faces for xc is because it can get really badly sweaty and it's not worth it.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 20:42 Quote
Most people feel a full face is not needed for XC/AM. The speed is for the most part slower and the riding less intense than DH. I ride a helmet very similar to the Fox flux, IMO it gives enough protection for XC/AM riding. Although wearing a full face may offer more protection I take the calculated risk of not wearing one when I am not on my DH bike. I believe that the greatest protection when riding is staying within your limits, its when you go beyond your limits when bad crashes occur.

Although I can attest to the fact that bad crashes do occur while riding within your limits. Its just the name of the game with this type of activity.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 20:44 Quote
A full face isn't really safe on two way trails like xc and AM. It may offer more protection, but it limits visibility, hence conspiring to send you into another rider.

Now not only are you hurt, but someone else is also because you ran into them wearing a full faceWink

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 20:55 Quote
mtla wrote:
Ive been doing XC for a year now moving into more agressive freeride and light DH. bailed the other day and was VERY close to losing my face but saved myself and rolled in the air.

I am now shopping for a full face helmet. I don't care if downhillers laugh at me. In quebec our "XC" trails are pretty damn dangerous with roots and rocks at least compared to out west. and I with a FF I think my "ball size" will increase a lot.

Just curious though why so many people doing aggressive XC in are not in full face helmets is this simply a lack of respect for your face / brains / life?!

Cheers.
The main reasons are heat, weight, and visibility.

Wanna bet? Smile

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 21:13 Quote
I see the points you guys bring up and they are valid. Maybe im a "pretty boy" but I dig my face and want to ride beyond my limits in order to gain farther limits.

If you search for pics of Mt Royal riding you will see that there are some sections that sit on the border of AM/ DH . I would like to push myself to tackle some of theese steep and gnarly sections but feel that without my face protected I cant gather the balls to push.

So would something like this be a good idea?
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-and-protection/full-face/met/parachute/PRD_413925_6705crx.aspx

Basically the regular XC helmet is not enough, I need something to protect the face and rear of my skull. Some full face helmets seem very light weight , breathable and wide field of vision though.

I mean you can look behind you with something like this no? http://media.rei.com/media/a/1459799.jpg

Just feel like I need something in between then I guess. Any suggestions?

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 21:22 Quote
I would like to add, if you compare the two helmets I linked. There is not much visibility difference. It seems its more a sweat / heat / comfort thing. And frankly at that point I would rather be better safe than sorry. Im planning on having kids in the next couple of years and them having a father is important and I like to push my limits.

Any more suggestions, guidance is welcome but I will most probably go try a few of these suckers on at the bike shop and feel out my visibility. So far thats the only reason keeping me from using on on the mountain.

p.s. I see guys riding AM and DH bikes leaving the mountain every day with FF helmets, but I see tons of XC guys up north who seem to ride VERY hard without them. I know someone is going to need face surgery if g-d forbid they crash bad wearing one of those XC helmets.

Just to clarify, I ride a specialized enduro pro. I ride trails and mountain, I often make my own trails in the backwoods and am trying to push myself to get larger airs and do bigger drops and steeper downhil sections, and still climb. Im starting to feel like a FF helmet would be a smart investment none the less..

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 21:39 Quote
ok tup get a ff... It sounds as if your arguing against someone. If you feel you need one then get one, and the Giro remedy is quite good from reviews I've read, it scored very high at mtbr.com

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 21:43 Quote
Lol don't mean to sound like I am arguing. My apologies if it came off that way. I guess in a sense I am just trying to justify getting one for lighter than downhill riding but more aggressive than XC riding.

I was concerned with what the common issues / reasons are and thanks to you guys I feel like despite the reasons you have given me, I still feel the need to protect more of my noggin! Thanks for the guidance everyone. This is a wonderful resource for less experienced riders like myself.

Its kinda like that old story with two sets of parents and the baby. They cant figure out whos it really is so the king threatens to cut him in half then the parents that care come to light. Now that you guys have threatened to "cut my kid in half: (explained why most XC riders do not use FF) I am like NOO but I need one!! hehe. Hope I explained that properly.

Please keep the comments coming. I am not buying anything yet. I really want to be sure and on top of that I want to try and check out many diff models until I find the lightest / most AM style FF helmet.

Cheers !!!

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 21:57 Quote
Justify it for yourself- ride like a f*cking demon all the time and there won't be a need to 'explain your reasons to others'

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 22:10 Quote
a-c-r-o-n-y-m wrote:
Justify it for yourself- ride like a f*cking demon all the time and there won't be a need to 'explain your reasons to others'

This is a badas$ statement. I like. Cheers! For sure a FF helmut will grant me + 15% balls. I recently added shin pads and they helped add at least 5% balls.

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 22:14 Quote
also, if heat is a concern- the faster you ride(uphill included) the more airflow you get threw the vents...

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 22:17 Quote
Man, I dont think of our AM rides any different than dh. Our crew pinns it just as hard riding trail as we do dh, just without compression suits and medical attention close by. Nothing wrong with full facing it, esp if the riding backs it up.

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 22:19 Quote
Hum, do you wear a fullface on your legs when you bike? Razz

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 22:23 Quote
Haha, seems like I should...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009967
Mobile Version of Website