All you Orange riders get in here!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
All you Orange riders get in here!
Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 11:42 Quote
Still got to tidy it up a bit, hoses too long and torque it all up. But so far, so good for my 2014 Crush.
photo

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 12:12 Quote
Matt-r8 wrote:
Still got to tidy it up a bit, hoses too long and torque it all up. But so far, so good for my 2014 Crush.
photo
looks like a sick bike man and i bet it will take a beating

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 14:57 Quote
Evening all Smile

I own a 2014 Alpine 160, looking at picking up a new Monarch RC3 Plus for my bike so was heading for the Debonair. After speaking to Orange they inform me that due to the larger can size on the debonair this isn't suited to my bike as it's single pivot.

They recommend using the standard Monarch RC3 Plus as with the Debonair 'the large air can shock can't keep it progressive throughout the travel'.

Just wondering if anyone else had had this experience?

Does it make sense to others?

Thanks
TomO

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 15:26 Quote
GSuperstar wrote:
Evening all Smile

I own a 2014 Alpine 160, looking at picking up a new Monarch RC3 Plus for my bike so was heading for the Debonair. After speaking to Orange they inform me that due to the larger can size on the debonair this isn't suited to my bike as it's single pivot.

They recommend using the standard Monarch RC3 Plus as with the Debonair 'the large air can shock can't keep it progressive throughout the travel'.

Just wondering if anyone else had had this experience?

Does it make sense to others?

Thanks
TomO

Yep, makes perfect sense. But it is also somewhat personal preference as to how you like your suspension. The debonair has a larger volume air can which means the stroke is more "linear" as opposed to "progressive" (Becoming firmer through the stroke)

Because the orange is single pivot there is no linkage to affect the characteristics of the shock so the difference between a standard monarch and a debonair will be more noticeable. I would say that they are probably correct suggesting that you run a standard monarch instead of the larger volume debonair. Some people even mod their monarch shocks so that it takes even less air volume and thus makes the stroke more progressive.

Personally I like my suspension firm and progressive, but as I said, it is somewhat down to personal preference.

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 15:41 Quote
Hi Joe

Fantastic that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Orange were a bit brief with me on explaining it so it made me feel like they could just be exaggerating.

From your advice I'll stick to the monarch plus non debonair. If I ended up going for it I'd only presume something was constantly feeling wrong Smile

Thanks
TomO

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 23:20 Quote
I have a monarch plus debonair on my five, whilst it's early days I have found it fairly progressive to be honest. I have whacked it in the frame with the factory tune, so will be sending it to be tuned specifically to the frame shortly. I am pretty happy with it at the moment, it's miles ahead of my old fox CTD (which orange fit to the frames as standard) and it climbs better then my old CCDB, the weight reduction is also welcome. I find it pumps really well as well. I am a happy boy to be honest! With a pike up front and the monarch+ at the rear I am comfortable with the suspension set up now

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 23:29 Quote
Russyh wrote:
I have a monarch plus debonair on my five, whilst it's early days I have found it fairly progressive to be honest. I have whacked it in the frame with the factory tune, so will be sending it to be tuned specifically to the frame shortly. I am pretty happy with it at the moment, it's miles ahead of my old fox CTD (which orange fit to the frames as standard) and it climbs better then my old CCDB, the weight reduction is also welcome. I find it pumps really well as well. I am a happy boy to be honest! With a pike up front and the monarch+ at the rear I am comfortable with the suspension set up now

Is it ok at boosting drops and jumps Russ? Does it also sit well in its travel in corners to get the grip?

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 23:40 Quote
To be honest, like I say it's early days. I found it more than capable on the drops and jumps local to me. Nothing too big yet though, to be honest it is not as good as the CCDB in these situations, but on berms. Fast corners and general trail rough shit, I think it's better. I am still toying with set up, and will be looking at getting it tuned after payday. I will say, I like the look of the CCDB inline, but the monarch + was such good value I couldn't not buy it, especially as I wanted to try a air shoc again

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 0:50 Quote
Im not sure they're correct on the debonair as they only sell the new alpine with a debonair on. Seems contradictory. to me.

I've got one on my new 2014 Alpine build which they sold to me without any issues as a one off on that frame. Plus if its too linear you can always put in volume spacers into the can to reduce the volume. I would imagine it will be fine for the lighter rider and gettin worse for the heavier person.

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 1:24 Quote
It maybe different for the alpine over the five? But i am 85kg so probably 90kg in kit and found it brilliant (admittedly not a long term review)

This is going to sound a bit left field, but are we sure that whoever was on the phone at Orange is not getting mixed up with a Vivid?....Just a thought

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 15:32 Quote
PDub11 wrote:
Im not sure they're correct on the debonair as they only sell the new alpine with a debonair on. Seems contradictory. to me.

I've got one on my new 2014 Alpine build which they sold to me without any issues as a one off on that frame. Plus if its too linear you can always put in volume spacers into the can to reduce the volume. I would imagine it will be fine for the lighter rider and gettin worse for the heavier person.

They don't use a debonair on the Alpine it's just a 2015 Monarch Plus. The exact reason being that the Debonair can works just live the XV on the fox. Orange said they need to use the smaller air can so their suspension doesn't blow through it's travel all the time.

Russyh wrote:
It maybe different for the alpine over the five? But i am 85kg so probably 90kg in kit and found it brilliant (admittedly not a long term review)

This is going to sound a bit left field, but are we sure that whoever was on the phone at Orange is not getting mixed up with a Vivid?....Just a thought

Definitely told them it was Monarch Debonair, it was through emails and he told me that's why they use the non debonair version as it's not suited to their bikes.

Posted: Aug 22, 2014 at 15:36 Quote
The only difference between the debonair and the standard monarch is the larger volume air can. Buying a debonair and then adding air volume spacers completely defeats the point.

And also, the 2015 alpine does not come with a debonair shock, It comes with a standard monarch plus.

Posted: Aug 23, 2014 at 1:19 Quote
Well,
In the field experience with me is fine and I'm stoked. It's nice that orange are finally paying attention to the suspension needs on their bikes, recently they have been supplying bikes with sub standard forks (fox evo series) and evo CTD shocks which blow through their travel dropping off kerbs, which quite frankly made them unfit for purpose!

Like I say it's easily days for me, but currently I'm happy. I will send it off for the correct tune should I feel it needs it (give everything and me time to bed in with it) maybe it's different for the five to the alpine?

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2014 at 3:43 Quote
Russyh wrote:
Well,
In the field experience with me is fine and I'm stoked. It's nice that orange are finally paying attention to the suspension needs on their bikes, recently they have been supplying bikes with sub standard forks (fox evo series) and evo CTD shocks which blow through their travel dropping off kerbs, which quite frankly made them unfit for purpose!

Like I say it's easily days for me, but currently I'm happy. I will send it off for the correct tune should I feel it needs it (give everything and me time to bed in with it) maybe it's different for the five to the alpine?

It could also be less of a worry on yours with the less travel?

I think to be honest you won't have any problems, and I'm not sure I've ever had a shock at 'optimum performance' anyway lol.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.096463
Mobile Version of Website