2011 kona operator yay or nay?

PB Forum :: Downhill
2011 kona operator yay or nay?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 14:50 Quote
so im going to be getting a new bike and have £1800 to spend. i am thinking about getting a 2011 kona operator brand new so i am wondering what people think about them.

heres what they look like :
photo

heres the speck:
Frame Material Kona DH 7005 Aluminum 200mm Travel
Sizes Small, Medium, Large
Rear Shock Fox VAN RC
Fork Rock Shox Boxxer Race 200mm w/20mm TA
Crankarms Gravity GAP
Chainrings 36T
B/B FSA
Pedals Kona Wah Wah
Chain SRAM 951 PowerChain
Freewheel SRAM 950 PowerGlide 11-28 9 spd
F/D E*13 SRS
R/D SRAM X-7
Shifters SRAM X-7 (RH only)
Brake Calipers Avid Code R
Front Brake Rotor Avid G3 Clean Sweep 203mm
Rear Brake Rotor Avid G3 Clean Sweep 185mm
Brake Levers Avid Code R
Headset FSA Orbit ZeroStack Tapered 1.5
Handlebar Kona DH
Stem Kona DH
Seatpost Kona DH
Seat Clamp Kona SeatClamp
Grips Kona G-LOG
Saddle WTB Speed V Sport
Front Hub 20mm Formula Disc
Rear Hub 12mm x 150mm Formula Disc
Spokes Sandvik Stainless 14g
Rims Sun MTX 33 Welded
Front Tyre Maxxis DHF 26x2.5
Rear Tyre Maxxis High Roller 26x2.5
Paint Color Blue Polished

and at £1699 from rutland cycling its a bargain!

so what do you think?

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 14:59 Quote
You asked for my opinion, so here it is;

No. There's too many other options that are frankly much, much better. What's available near you?

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:01 Quote
Nay,

That headtube junction looks scary not because its a Kona but just its so small for something that takes most of the strain.
Also as stated maybe look at other options or used ?

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:02 Quote
sherbet wrote:

No. There's too many other options that are frankly much, much better. What's available near you?

Have you ridden one? I rode on in whistler for a day last summer and it was awesome! I would say go for it, the only thing is the spec on this model isn't very good but whatever...

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:04 Quote
sherbet wrote:

there isnt much realy for something simmilar speck ie a session or demo i would have to save up more in the reagion of the £2000 mark witch would take me a month or more witch i wouldnt like as all my mates are riding atm and i cant witch sucks. and yes the headtube looks small but there stronger than sessions and stabs so it cant be that bad. plus it comes with lifetime warentee so if it did snap i would sell the frame and buy something like a v10 or demo.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:04 Quote
I haven't ridden one, nor do I ever have any intention of doing so. I've been over kona for some years now.

Also, you should probably find out what other options he has before suggesting this.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:05 Quote
J-Carmichael wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Have you ridden one? I rode on in whistler for a day last summer and it was awesome! I would say go for it, the only thing is the spec on this model isn't very good but whatever...

fair enough how do they feel? yer im probably going to change the gearing, bars,stem,grips and forks and shock i think but thats only in the long run. mabie like white 40's, dhx 5, funn fatboys white, hope crown and stem combo black and black grips then like x9 gearing or saint if i can afford it.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:06 Quote
I have to say I'm no fan of Kon bikes but I have to say it looks like a big improvement on previous bikes & pretty good value at that price.

What I would say is make sure you weigh up all the options then try to get some proper tset rides. Prferably back to back to get a good idea if it's the right bike for you.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:07 Quote
freeridemanic wrote:
J-Carmichael wrote:
sherbet wrote:

fair enough how do they feel? yer im probably going to change the gearing, bars,stem,grips and forks and shock i think but thats only in the long run.

I think they feel awesome! They track amazingly and corner super well.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:08 Quote
StueyStuey wrote:
I have to say I'm no fan of Kon bikes but I have to say it looks like a big improvement on previous bikes & pretty good value at that price.

What I would say is make sure you weigh up all the options then try to get some proper tset rides. Prferably back to back to get a good idea if it's the right bike for you.

well my choice is i have enough to buy the kona now so can buy it any time or i can save up for another month get £200 more and get something like a 2010 session 88 dh or demo 8. arround the same specks. just "better" frames.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:10 Quote
I'd definitely save for a Demo.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:11 Quote
freeridemanic wrote:
StueyStuey wrote:

well my choice is i have enough to buy the kona now so can buy it any time or i can save up for another month get £200 more and get something like a 2010 session 88 dh or demo 8. arround the same specks. just "better" frames.

I wouldn't say "better" just different, I have ridden all 3 of the bikes, the 2011 demo, 2011 session 88 and 2011 Operator and I have to say that the session definitely takes the cake haha. The floating shock just makes it feel like your riding over a cloud, I would just wait and save for a session if I were you but thats your choice.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:12 Quote
Do they make a session 8 this year ?
If so go for that.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:12 Quote
jpgauthier wrote:
Do they make a session 8 this year ?
If so go for that.

Yes they do...

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 15:14 Quote
Then go for a Session 8 and you will have better specs and about the same price range aswell as having a better frame.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011346
Mobile Version of Website