Single Ring All Mountain Set Ups...What works best?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Single Ring All Mountain Set Ups...What works best?
O+
Posted: May 2, 2011 at 20:56 Quote
isaacds wrote:
I run a 1x9 32t g ring with an xcx to an augmented 11-36 cassette. as it's steep where I ride. and I need the small ratio for climbing, you could get away for the most part with a 11-34. the 9x36 is a considerable way off, considering the only stepped freehub body is from a shimano touring hub at the moment. The DT and Hope movements are in the right direction. I think the hope integration of the cassette and the freehub body will do a ton as far as progression of this set up.
By augmented you mean you took a 36t from another cassette and put it on a 11-34 right? which cassettes did you mangle to do this?

Mod
Posted: May 2, 2011 at 23:00 Quote
other way, you can't replace the large cog without re-riveting it... I have an slx 12-36 cassette and took off the 12t and replaced it with an 11t. all others are a single piece, so I replaced the smallest for a smaller with a spare I had laying around.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2011 at 23:06 Quote
isaacds wrote:
other way, you can't replace the large cog without re-riveting it... I have an slx 12-36 cassette and took off the 12t and replaced it with an 11t. all others are a single piece, so I replaced the smallest for a smaller with a spare I had laying around.

OK, that makes much more sense. I should know this since i spend most of my day removing and installing cassettes anyway, most of which are alivio/deore or pg 951 which i believe have a long 1 or .5 mil bolt holding the top cogs together. I may be wrong because I have never actually closely examined anything.

Mod
Posted: May 2, 2011 at 23:09 Quote
I'm not sure if it's riveted, or screwed, either way, it's a semi-permanent group of cogs. but i like the 11t on there, having big mountains it's nice to have a full spread, and if it comes to fruition, i'd love to run a stepped freehub body and do a 9-36.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2011 at 23:20 Quote
isaacds wrote:
I'm not sure if it's riveted, or screwed, either way, it's a semi-permanent group of cogs. but i like the 11t on there, having big mountains it's nice to have a full spread, and if it comes to fruition, i'd love to run a stepped freehub body and do a 9-36.
Yeah exactly. I like your idea alot. I'm probably going to be replacing my stolen slayer with a gt distortion 2.0 which apparently comes with the 12-36t cassette. I'll most likely convert it to single ring with a 34 g ring and ls1 guide. There are no shortage of 11t cogs in our metal bin at the shop so it will not be hard to find a relatively unused one to throw on there.

I CAN NOT WAIT for 9-36 to become standard and do away with my evil nemesis the front derailleur!

Posted: May 2, 2011 at 23:26 Quote
isaacds wrote:

I'm pretty sure they have 2-3? long 'rods' holding them together. I've torn a few down and had to knock these out with a small punch. I think most of the modern cassettes have similar construction. It would have been an XT or mid line SRAM that I split open and that's how it was constructed. Assuming we are talking about the cassette and I'm not losing track here....

A.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2011 at 23:34 Quote
neex wrote:
isaacds wrote:

I'm pretty sure they have 2-3? long 'rods' holding them together. I've torn a few down and had to knock these out with a small punch. I think most of the modern cassettes have similar construction. It would have been an XT or mid line SRAM that I split open and that's how it was constructed. Assuming we are talking about the cassette and I'm not losing track here....

A.

Yeah thats exactly what we're talking about. I know I have seen a few (most likely a few years old not sure what model) with however many straight rods then one threaded with a very tiny allen head on the back. I know some of my friends have talked about taking apart their cassettes like this (long before I was working in a shop.)

Mod
Posted: May 3, 2011 at 0:18 Quote
if you needed a different ratio than was present, by all means you can go in the back of the cassette. Actiontec make single cogs you can get in various sizes all the way up to 39 i think, but I was able to get what I wanted with just a swap of the smallest cog. the other spacing is pretty uniform. 3-4ish teeth all the way up.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2011 at 7:40 Quote
Currently running a Saint 175 mm 32T with 11-32 cassette on my Bottlerocket. For me I do think there's a bigger advantage in having the longer arms for climbing, though I do scrape the pedals here and there (more on tech rocky trails). Split riding time between very rocky, technical trails with powerful and steep shorter climbs and trails with long sustained climbs followed by fast descents (southern Utah vs. northern Utah). I'd like to eventually bump up to an 11 or 12-36 cassette....think that would help me keep up with buddies on those 3-4000 foot slow climbs.

Lovin' the 1x9 though!

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:35 Quote
isaacds wrote:
I run a 1x9 32t g ring with an xcx to an augmented 11-36 cassette. as it's steep where I ride. and I need the small ratio for climbing, you could get away for the most part with a 11-34. the 9x36 is a considerable way off, considering the only stepped freehub body is from a shimano touring hub at the moment. The DT and Hope movements are in the right direction. I think the hope integration of the cassette and the freehub body will do a ton as far as progression of this set up.

Ha, you did exactly what I'm doing right now, getting a 12-36 and swapping to a 11-t cog that I have laying around. Same for me I need to climb and need that 36 cog on my cassette, the 32 or 34 is just not enough in some areas when ascending a few thousand feet. This is going on my AM ride which I will freeride plenty.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:53 Quote
40t on an 14-32. sounds a little heavy but as long as your running a wide ratio rear its sweet.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:54 Quote
dbxrace wrote:
40t on an 14-32. sounds a little heavy but as long as your running a wide ratio rear its sweet.
Depends on the terrain too.

Mod
Posted: May 3, 2011 at 12:19 Quote
dbxrace wrote:
who are you mark weir? hahaha. that's a tall order. the climbs here would be impossible with that ratio. most folks here run a 22/24 granny ring up front for their dual ring set up. with the technicality of the mountains here, you'd never use it. also, how many speeds are you running if you've bastardized a cassette to make it 14-32? or are you just running an interesting chosen set of cogs for a 9spd.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 12:24 Quote
isaacds wrote:
dbxrace wrote:
who are you mark weir? hahaha. that's a tall order. the climbs here would be impossible with that ratio. most folks here run a 22/24 granny ring up front for their dual ring set up. with the technicality of the mountains here, you'd never use it. also, how many speeds are you running if you've bastardized a cassette to make it 14-32? or are you just running an interesting chosen set of cogs for a 9spd.
9spd, im pretty sure its 14-32 but i couldnt say for sure, may have missrembered. and agreed the terrain does make quite a difference. there are some hills i cant ride up with that but most are the type of stuff i would just push up anyway. makes a hell of a diference going down though.
edit: also crucial factor. no mountains where i live, lots of hills. but no mountains.

Mod
Posted: May 3, 2011 at 12:33 Quote
it may be a 14-32, but I can't think of a manufacturer that makes a 14t small cog on a cassette. usually 11 or 12.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.486221
Mobile Version of Website