Bought a 2004 P3 - Help with gears

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Bought a 2004 P3 - Help with gears
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 20, 2011 at 1:47 Quote
Hi guys,

I just bought a decent Specialized P3 2004 off of ebay for what i believe to be a good price.

Im pretty sure its set up with 7 speed on the rear and some sort of chain device on the front.

I intend to use it for dirt/jumping and freeride but want to change the rear sprocket for some added versatility and so i can do some very light XC. To be fair its not like i ride XC or road but the mrs likes to ride around the forest sometimes and i dont want it to be an absolute chore!!!

So what i wanna do is change the rear to 9 speed and upgrade the derailleur and shifter to SRAM X7 or something like that.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this. Ill prob have to get a shop to do it cos the bike needs a service too but i wanna know if the parts will fit and what ones i need to get. otherwise ill end up buying something only to find it doesnt fit/work.

thankyou,

chris

Posted: May 20, 2011 at 2:31 Quote
Any 9 speed cassette, rear derailleur and shifter that you can afford will do you.
Are you sure it's 7 speed? original spec is 9 speed.

Posted: May 21, 2011 at 1:21 Quote
celticdavey wrote:
Any 9 speed cassette, rear derailleur and shifter that you can afford will do you.
Are you sure it's 7 speed? original spec is 9 speed.
i think you must Change the hub too 7 speed hub(if it is 7 speed hub) can't take 9 speed cassette

Posted: May 21, 2011 at 1:25 Quote
you will need Chane too
you cant use a 7 or 8 speed Chan with 9 speed cassette

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 3:08 Quote
THankyopu all for the responses.
That spec does indeed say 9 gears....hmm i shall wait and see, picking it up on tuesday. He has modded it a bit though as i saw in the picture it has a chain device on it on the front so maybe he changed the back too.

guess ill just wait and see what its like when i get it. that retail price of 1300 right? Or are there different specced ones like a cheaper version?

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 6:18 Quote
whitey161 wrote:
THankyopu all for the responses.
That spec does indeed say 9 gears....hmm i shall wait and see, picking it up on tuesday. He has modded it a bit though as i saw in the picture it has a chain device on it on the front so maybe he changed the back too.

guess ill just wait and see what its like when i get it. that retail price of 1300 right? Or are there different specced ones like a cheaper version?

Price is in dollars so find out the 2004 exchange rate and work it outSmile .

Some American price's seem higher than Ireland/England so take that into account.

Posted: May 25, 2011 at 5:35 Quote
Picked up the bike yesterday and it is indeed 9 speed. Very happy with it.
Bought it for £200. Needs a service and some brake pads but otherwise functions fine.
Bit dirty and has some chips / scratches but thats to be expected.

Didnt realise how beefy it was til i got it!! Quite heavy but its mys first proper bike (after childhood halfords tripe) and im hoping it will be good enough to let me get into the sport.

Only things id like to change are the grips, which get sticky after 2 mins of holding them, and the front fork for something with a bit more travel as id like to freeride.

Posted: May 25, 2011 at 16:39 Quote
That's a dirt jump bike so the front of it is quite high, if you put a longer travel fork on it it will be even higher could make it nearly unrideable.

Just something to keep in mind.
But you got a good price.tup

Posted: May 26, 2011 at 7:31 Quote
Ah ok thank you for that information.
Its all new to me so i wouldnt have known that.

To be fair i havent really tried anything too agressive on it yet so will wait and see what its like. Rode it down some steps and random stuff around my village and it seems good.

Posted: May 26, 2011 at 8:31 Quote
Try using the search function, but I'll help out anyway.

The dude you are buying from probably just took a cog off. Regardless, the fact that you have 7 speed means that it is a 9-speed freehub; single-speed hubs can take up to 6 cogs at once, at most.

So just buy yourself a new set of shifter + derailleur and I recommend buying a new cassette to match your shifter. So if you get a 9-speed cassette, get yourself a 9-speed shifter pod.

Do not worry about the hub, because you will not need a new one.

Posted: May 26, 2011 at 13:26 Quote
Your telling him to use the search function? Have you tried reading the posts?

And if you take one sprocket off a 9 speed that makes 8 speed not 7.

Posted: May 26, 2011 at 14:48 Quote
I honestly don't care, although that is indifference on my part.

Please take what you can from my post, and not dwell on obvious mistakes and try to indulge in your false cleverness.

Posted: May 26, 2011 at 23:54 Quote
False cleverness? Your the one who came on here trying to be smart with people, you have a long climb ahead of you to your moral high ground(hope you have a granny ring).

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 5:41 Quote
Thankyou for all the valuable information people.

As i said it is indeed 9 speed.

I need to make a post about something else on the bike so if you can help with that at all then great.

Thanks again

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012892
Mobile Version of Website