Chainguide for Trek 4900

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 24, 2011 at 17:39 Quote
This is the info for my bike http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mountain/sport/4_series/4900_disc#/uk/en/model/reviews?url=uk/en/bikes/mountain/sport/4_series/4900_disc

Would anyone by any chance know if I would be able to install a E-13 E THIRTEEN SRSW Chain guide 40T? I would prefer to use my original crank arms and bottom bracket. I could not locate much information on my original crankset. As far as I can tell I dont have ISCG mounts. But the Chainguide comes with an ISCG-05 adapter.

I really hate it when we're on a trail and my chain comes off. That is why I was looking into purchasing a Chainguide.

Posted: May 26, 2011 at 13:48 Quote
You don't have ISCG mounts.

What type of bottom bracket do you have? internal or external?

Superstar are much cheaper than E13.

Posted: May 26, 2011 at 14:01 Quote
There's easier fixes that are much more suitable for that bike. You're riding a hardtail so there's no chain-growth from the suspension that would cause the chain to come off the rings (the main reason why chainguides are used). First thing, check the limit screws on your front derailleur and make sure the derailleur sits as close as possible to the edge of the chain but without rubbing a whole lot. Second, check the height of the front derailleur and make sure it's no more than 1cm above your biggest chainring when you're in that ring. Third, shorten your chain so it's only 2 links greater than the big-big combo. Fourth (maybe go to your LBS if you're not comfortable taking apart your derailleur), un-bolt the cage from the rear derailleur and take it off so that you can see the spring. There's 2 holes on the body of the derailleur for it to go into. It should be set to the low tension one, so switch it over to the other hole. You'll notice that the cage resists movement a little more and pulls the chain a bit tighter.

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 0:01 Quote
All good points, but are you not switching to a single ring setup?

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 2:25 Quote
You will need a mounting plate like this,e13 used to supply them with the chainguides but they don't on the newer ones.

photo
photo

Edit: gamut might make more sense as they do a bb mount chainguide,and it should just fit like in the pic above but without the need for a mounting plate.

http://www.gamutusa.com/products/G45-Chainguide.html

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.bikepedia.com/Images/image2.aspx?w=300&h=300&filename=GG1230.JPG&f=BTI

Posted: May 30, 2011 at 18:38 Quote
Thanks for the info. I adjusted my front derailleur and my chain has stayed on for a 4 hour trail ride. Hopefully that is all I needed. I'm still new to Bikes and slowly learning all the components.

photo
photo

The only reason why I was opting to get a chain guide was because it was recommended. The other person has a full suspension and told me that a chain guide fixed his problem. Now I understand why a full suspension would need one and a hard tail would not.

Posted: May 30, 2011 at 18:46 Quote
Your chain will bounce more with a hard tail,how ever if you bought the bike as is then the chain is genrally longer than it needs to be,but to over come this try and run bigger gearing when you descend,this will put tension into the chain and help it drop less.

Also move your chainstay protector forward to just behind the chain ring,all paint chips occur in this area usually.

Like in this pic,but mine looks longer too.

<Deleted photo>

Posted: Sep 8, 2011 at 15:39 Quote
would I be able to Remove the biggest ring and smallest ring and just buy a Superstar single guide?

My idea:
Middle 32T ring
Superstar XCR
Keep same crank arms and BB

If so, would I need a new BB or can I just buy some shorter screws for the crank arms?

Posted: Sep 8, 2011 at 16:15 Quote
If you have a external bottom bracket, that chain guide will work. Reason being that the external will have a spacer on the drive side. That guide will take that spacers place. After installing the XCR chain guide along with a spacer or two, they will will match the original BB spacing.

You should be able to use the middle ring and the original chain ring bolts.

However, if you have a internal BB, you can buy a new BB with a longer spindle to accommodate for the added spacing distance. Or buy a new crank and external BB to get the XCR chain guide to work.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.034827
Mobile Version of Website