Giant Reign 2 vs GT Force 3.0 (2010)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Giant Reign 2 vs GT Force 3.0 (2010)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 9, 2011 at 20:40 Quote
Hi all riders,

I want to get a AM bike and I am deciding between the Giant Reign 2 and GT Force 3.0 (2010). What would you guys recommend? My riding style is leaning more towards the aggressive side with a fair bit of climb and down hills.

Would you guys help me along with these? Thanks

Posted: Jun 10, 2011 at 6:24 Quote
not too sure about the GT, they use to be good bikes years and years ago and they use the same suspension technology as mongoose and those bikes go well

a friend of mine got a reign 2 the other week, its a very good value for $$ bike. unless you are heavy (85+ kg) or ride aggressively (do you breaks parts often?) it can just about everything at flatout except proper DH race tracks n technical freeriding. its a fun bike and climbs better than many 6in bikes.

if needed with a few upgrades to burlier fork and wheels it will tackle DH/FR for a smooth sensible rider.

Posted: Jun 10, 2011 at 11:15 Quote
For "more aggressive riding" (FR/DH) the ReignX already has the burly fork and other parts.

Posted: Jun 10, 2011 at 13:37 Quote
Get the giant, if it is what they claim on their website it will be the better bike simply because of the component spec alone. The gt has a crappy fork and the I-drive system, while pedals well, squeaks like a b!+€h if you don't want to lube it every ride. I would know I have the force 2.0 from 2009 before they went to crappy rockshox forks
Sources: myself and I work in a bike shop that deals with both brands. Get the giant you will be happy you did although I would upgrade the SRAM stuff to x9 or xt. If you insist on getting the 3.0 you should get a 09 or 010 model because they are the same frame/ stuff but 600-700 dollars cheaper

Fatwheels

Gt does not use the same suspension design as mongoose. Gt uses I-drive and mongoose uses single pivot. Huge difference God I hate people who do not know what they are talking about. Also the giant uses maestro which is extremely efficient on the climbs and desents

Posted: Jun 12, 2011 at 9:10 Quote
i drive and freedrive are 2 examples of the same suspension design concept - a single pivot with a floating bottom bracket. mongoose has more linkage to drive the shock.

in fact pacific cycles own both mongoose and Dyno/GT, and freedrive is a licensed application of i-drive...

so i guess you must have pretty sh!tty self-esteem hating on yourself and all

Posted: Jun 13, 2011 at 15:14 Quote
I have the Reign 2 and and I can say that it's amazing bike and has impressed me since I've got it. Every time I take it out it climbs over things I wouldn't expect and it handles drops and downhill sections with a breeze. I'd say for the Giant, you get more for the buck.

Posted: Jun 14, 2011 at 13:29 Quote
The best thing to do is test ride them both and see what suits you.

I have an i-drive the pivots need to be cleaned and greased about twice a year if they're done right not every ride. Fatwheels, you should let us know what shop you work in so people know to avoid it. You haven't a clue.

Giant seem to be the popular choice and for good reason they're well designed and better spec.
The GT suits me but seems to be an acquired taste.

Posted: Jun 14, 2011 at 21:58 Quote
I have a GT Carbon force and really like the bike.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013381
Mobile Version of Website