Best XC tire for hardpack?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best XC tire for hardpack?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 18, 2011 at 14:27 Quote
I'm looking for a solid XC tire for my local trails, which are basically all hardpack with some slick rock in between. I've ridden Specialized Fast Trak LK and I'm not a huge fan of those. Any advice?

Posted: Jun 19, 2011 at 8:42 Quote
I've used Kenda small block 8's and the IRC Mythos Slick Kevlar in similar conditions. IRC is fast rolling and light, but has less grip if it's wet. Kenda's were a little heavier and not quite as fast rolling but retained more grip if it was damp or wet.

Posted: Jun 19, 2011 at 8:56 Quote
maxxis high roller 1.9????

Posted: Jun 19, 2011 at 12:42 Quote
Maxxis Ikon (29"). Incredibly fast on hardpack and awesome when things get a little crazy too

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 at 0:37 Quote
Racing Ralph's every time, Amazing Grip, Super fast, Super Light and Tubeless but not cheap though.

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 at 12:30 Quote
welshspannermonkey wrote:
Racing Ralph's every time, Amazing Grip, Super fast, Super Light and Tubeless but not cheap though.

How's the durability on the tread? I want something that won't wear down too much, so I don't have to replace them every 3 months like the kenda nevengals I tried

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 1:36 Quote
i use rocket ron proformance, i have been impressed with this tyer recently, it came with my new cannondale, i took it off the rim and was very supprised with the wieght of it, it weighs nothing! the grip is also very very good, rolls well too, a very quick tyre.

but if you do go for a Schwalbe tyre, be carefull, they are extremely light because they are very thin, i have hurd that they do puncture more easily than your average tyre, but i have not yet experianced this

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 8:47 Quote
Never had a problem with quick wear or punctures, I've just got cheap tubes in them and very rarely get flats.

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 12:51 Quote
Never had a problem with quick wear or punctures, I've just got cheap tubes in them and very rarely get flats.

yeah same, i have just read a few reviews and they have said that they can puncture easily, but as i have said i have not experienced this.

but i do think they are a very good weight tyre

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 12:58 Quote
as for the price they are expensive, but to get them cheaper i would defiantly get them from an ebay store or google shopper, i found them from £22

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 18:14 Quote
I had a set of ralph's on my old hardtail and they were also nice. I did get some thorn flats, but a little cafelatex solved that issue. Haven't used those tires since moving to NH though.

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 at 11:52 Quote
CRC were doing some wire bead ones for 12 a piece, but I bought a couple as they were cheaper than trade! They were not the triple compound though and I really struggled with grip under braking.
Make sure you buy the triple compound ones!!!

Posted: Jun 27, 2011 at 2:33 Quote
earlyer in the thread i said that i am using rocket ron proformance tyres, i have been using them for 3 weeks now, and i have got 2 puntures in the last 3 rides!! these tyres are just too thin!!

i have also been out riding with people that have been using that tyre, once of them has been through 4 of them! all because the side wall has split and the inertube has been bulging out the side!!

he said he hates them and has moved on to maxis tyres!

Rally-fast, u mentioned cafelatex, what is this? like a tape which goes on the inside of the tyer to make it punctureproof?

Posted: Jun 27, 2011 at 8:03 Quote
Basically it works well for puncture flats like nails, thorns, sticks, but I don't think it will help with thin sidewall tires. I used to ride in a place where I would get 3-5 thorns every ride from raspberry bushes. You can repair a sidewall but perhaps you should try a tire with a little thicker sidewall if you keep getting sidewall tears from rocks or roots. Downside is they will be heavier. I probably wouldn't run a rocket or ralph in NH. It all comes down to the area where you ride most.

This is the stuff I am talking about:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TU276B01-Caffelatex+1000Ml+Foaming+Tire+Sealant.aspx

Posted: Jul 7, 2011 at 14:52 Quote
I used a Maxxis Larsen in Spain last year, and it was perfect, zero punctures.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017076
Mobile Version of Website