All Mountain Tire Set-up

• Previous Page
Posted: Aug 25, 2011 at 13:30 Quote
What type of tires do you run front & rear on your All-Mountain, Do-it-all, bike?

Tubes or Tubeless?

I currently am running a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 up front and a Specialized Chunder Control 2.3 rear on my 2010 Enduro. Both with Tubes.

It seems to be a good set-up for the varied east coast gnar we experience in NY.
2010 Enduro

Posted: Aug 26, 2011 at 10:58 Quote
I'm using Highrollers on Mavic EX823 UST wheels for my AM/FR bike. Its my fist true AM bike and I was going to go with tubes but then I like the idea of less rotating mass, less weight (even though its not much) and being able to go with lower pressures with no pinch flats. So far I 'm glad I did it because there is a huge difference in the feel of the bike at 20-25 PSI on the trail vs 35-45 PSI. In my opinion I have better traction and it really smooths out the stutter bumps. My Rune is smooth but not "uber plush" and the lower pressures in the tires smooth it out over the stutter bumps. I like the Highrollers but they are the only tires I have experience with so I'm not sure if I should stick with them or try something new the next time around.

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2011 at 11:54 Quote
Im running single ply 2.5 Minion DHF EXO's (w/tubes) on my trail bike and I really like them. The only downside is they are not the fastest rolling tires around, but they offer excellant grip and I have yet to tear open a sidewall. Besides, Ive always like the character of the Minion tread, they offer some of the best cornering grip around if you know how to lay the bike over enough. I also like the high volume, I can run them with pretty low pressure and not pinch-flat. I honestly like the Highroller better as an all around trail tire, they roll fast and have excellent grip, its just that I keep putting holes in traditional single ply tires. The EXO's really do seem to be tough as nails.

O+
Posted: Aug 27, 2011 at 8:11 Quote
I'm running a 2.5 Minion Exo on the front as well. (3C version). I have it setup as tubeless with stans on an 819 UST rim. I also run the same tire and rim combo as a front on my V10C and so far has proven to be up to the task on Garbonzo in Whis.

On the back I use an ignitor UST on an 823 with stans. Such a good rear tire for me. Works great for climbing in the wet in Squamish. Seems to hook up really well on wet roots. Can't fault it going down.

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2013 at 6:27 Quote
I always had great luck on east coast terrain with Maxxis Icon and High Roller 2 on Crossmax SX running them tubeless. I've been running Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheels and tires since the summer and it seems to work similar to a combination of the above. I always run tubeless now, I throw in the occasional tube and I always seem to flat right away so now the only tubes I run are in my Trials and DJ bike.

Posted: Oct 23, 2013 at 19:17 Quote
Mostly riding in laguna beach and aliso trails here in socal...Rocky, sometimes slick. and always sandy. I have a 2.3 butcher SX.. not horribly heavy but not light, the tread is fast rolling for an aggressive front tire, i run this front tire with a tube. I have a 2.1 weirwolf tcs am tire in the rear. Run that one tubeless. I think one of the most commonly overlooked factors is that your rear tire really doesnt need to be big or have super gnarly tread to stay sticky and hold a line. Your front tire has to be aggressive if you ride aggressive no questions, but in my opnion I think that a faster rear tire will prove to be far more beneficial than say a maxxis minion 2.3 dhr, which is super slow for practically no reason at all.I ride steep loose rocky laguna shit. It challenges tires for sure. Big ol front f*cker and a lil ol small guy for the rear seems to be the best thing i can say about all mountain tires. Also on the note of a fast rear its not just for climbing but also for pounding out single track where pedalinng and momentum is all you have to go off off. It's a great endur/super d set up.

Posted: Oct 23, 2013 at 21:02 Quote
Clutch SX front with Ardent 2.4 exo 60d on the back. This setup rolls decent and still has good traction. Been running tubeless but keep having failures, even when running more air than I would with tubes, so I am going back to tubes for good.

Posted: Oct 24, 2013 at 6:07 Quote
Used to use Minion DHF 2.3's back and front. Tacky up front and normal on the back. Now I use Specialized Butcher Control's as I feel they have more grip in a wider variety of conditions. No tubeless.

Posted: Oct 24, 2013 at 7:33 Quote
Front: Specialized Butcher Control, 2.3 set up tubeless
Rear: Specialized Purgatory Grid, 2.3 set up tubeless

Best all-mountain tire combo on the planet.

Posted: Oct 24, 2013 at 7:43 Quote
donch15 wrote:

That's the setup I have my eye on. What's the difference between the Control and Grid tyre types??

Cheers.

Posted: Oct 24, 2013 at 10:00 Quote
JumpingJackFlash wrote:
donch15 wrote:

That's the setup I have my eye on. What's the difference between the Control and Grid tyre types??

Cheers.

The grid is the full tubeless casing. I run it on the rear for additional tear resistance.

I was going through 3 Control Casing rears for every front tire.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2013 at 10:54 Quote
I'm liking the new DHR II Minion TR 2.3 Exo's in the front and rear these days, setup tubeless on the LB carbon rims. Was running the dual compound all summer, but switching to 3C shortly for the wetter months ahead.

Running them front and rear. Also running two rear DH version on my DH bike. Better braking and no squirm compared to DHF and same cornering ability. Pretty awesome front tire as well as a rear.

Posted: Oct 24, 2013 at 11:05 Quote
donch15 wrote:

The grid is the full tubeless casing. I run it on the rear for additional tear resistance.

I was going through 3 Control Casing rears for every front tire.

Ah ok. Be good to have that little extra strength on the back. I will be investing in a Purgatory Grid in the near future then.

I have been blown away by just how good the Butcher Control's are. Absolutely the best tyre I have used so if pairing it with a Purgatory is even better I will be well pleased. Big Grin

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2013 at 16:50 Quote
Purgatory control F 2.3. 32psi
Ground control R 2.3 35psi
Still running tubes
Working well for me here in Oregon

Posted: Oct 27, 2013 at 14:31 Quote
I'm running Schwalbe knobby nics front and rear on bontrager race lites tubeless 35 in front and rear the work well in maine so far very happy..

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013905
Mobile Version of Website