Powered by Outside

When do you replace your FF Helmet?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
When do you replace your FF Helmet?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 13:21 Quote
Hi All
I'm riding with 2008 661 Evo Helmet, I was told that it is time to replace it, that a Helmet life is 2 Years, after that there is a chance that the Helmet will malfunction when needed.
Is it true that I need to replace my FF Helmet every 2 Years?
10x

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 19:42 Quote
I've always used three years as a rule of thumb, so yes, its time for a new helmet.
Also, one good crash to a helmet and it needs to be replaced.2 cents

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 20:15 Quote
1 crash that has an impact to the helmet, or when its 2-3 years old.

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 22:35 Quote
OK, 10x Guys.
I will search for a new one.
Any suggestions? (less than 200$).
10x

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 23:05 Quote
there a 661 comp for $79 CAD or teh evolution for $130 CAD

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 4:42 Quote
I've got numerous scratches on the helmet but won't change it yet ... But it would be safe to actually change it in case of a big crash (even if it's not cracked) or after a couple of years of use

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 6:51 Quote
10x for the suggestions.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 7:06 Quote
And why would the helmet go bad without any impacts?????? Got to hear this!!!!!!

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 7:16 Quote
Rigaud- the styro-foam deteriorates over time and with exposure to the sun, so while a 3 year old helmet that has never touched the ground may look fine, it's a roll of the dice as to whether it will absorb the impact as designed or just crumble and leave you in a bloody heap on the side of the trail. IMHO it's not worth the gamble.

DHRam- I am on my second Giro Remedy helmet and i love them, they're available in regular and carbon fiber shells. (roughly the same weight

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 7:28 Quote
IMAKETHINGS wrote:
Rigaud- the styro-foam deteriorates over time and with exposure to the sun, so while a 3 year old helmet that has never touched the ground may look fine, it's a roll of the dice as to whether it will absorb the impact as designed or just crumble and leave you in a bloody heap on the side of the trail. IMHO it's not worth the gamble.

I already knew the answer, was just curious who actually on here did.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 9:18 Quote
IMAKETHINGS wrote:

DHRam- I am on my second Giro Remedy helmet and i love them, they're available in regular and carbon fiber shells. (roughly the same weight

10x a lot for the answer.
It is just very annoying that you invest a lot of money, and one fall and you need to invest more (of course everybody including me will pay the price for saving my head in advance) but still annoying (-:.
I'm taking into consideration the remedy, many also recommended it.

Did someone had experience with Kenny racing Helmets? they are not so expensive and look Good but didn't had any experience with them or known someone that had them (so the most important thing of protection is a little blur).
10x

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011585
Mobile Version of Website