Need to lose 2lbs off my Flatline Park

PB Forum :: Downhill
Need to lose 2lbs off my Flatline Park
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 18:19 Quote
This weekend in Big Bear, I was told my bike was too heavy to ride there again but the lifties were cool and let my son and I ride for the day. The US Forestry limit's the area to a 43lb bike and I'm at 45lbs. Funny how you could have a bike that conform's but then add a guy that ways 2lbs more than me and you have the same "erosion" issue. Anyway, I was looking at the crank and think I can cut some weight there. They are the Howitzer's and I'm sure I can get something a bit lighter. The toughest single tracks there do not require a bike like this but it is what I own. Any suggestions as to a Big Bear set that I can put on when I go there would be appreciated.

The pedals are Sinz and seem quite light so I don't think that would be a benefit but I'm open for suggestions.

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 18:35 Quote
tires, cranks, wheels, bars, stem are all fairly easy ways to loose some weight.

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 18:56 Quote
How about the most cost effective solution and quickest change? Clearly the tires are heavy (Maxxis Minion 2.5 DH) but I would prefer not to change or drop in size just to go to BB. I also don't want to spend big $$$ on both bikes to drop 2 lbs.

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 19:04 Quote
thats hard to say, id need a spec list. Other peoples opinions would help too, those tires are heavy, you could go to 2.35 and be fine. cranks would be somewhat expensive but still save a lot of weight. like i said itll be easier with a spec list.

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 19:30 Quote
NicholasCasswell wrote:
thats hard to say, id need a spec list. Other peoples opinions would help too, those tires are heavy, you could go to 2.35 and be fine. cranks would be somewhat expensive but still save a lot of weight. like i said itll be easier with a spec list.
I wouldnt go to 2.35s, maxxis 2.5s are small enough... lol

We do need a speclist or pics though...

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 19:32 Quote
Here is a link to the specs.

http://www.bikes.com/DATA/BIKE/998_en.pdf

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 19:32 Quote
Nobble wrote:
NicholasCasswell wrote:

LMFAO! i cant tell if your being sarcastic or not...lol

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 19:45 Quote
NicholasCasswell wrote:
Nobble wrote:
NicholasCasswell wrote:

LMFAO! i cant tell if your being sarcastic or not...lol
maxxis run considerably smaller than most other brands...

I tried a 2.35 high roller, it was scarily narrow and skittish... Iove my 2.5

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 19:47 Quote
raggededgeracing wrote:
Here is a link to the specs.

http://www.bikes.com/DATA/BIKE/998_en.pdf
cranks, stem, chainring, chain, seat/post ...

umm, are you running downhill tubes? cause I dropped almost 2lbs simply by switching to regular tubes...

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 19:50 Quote
fer real? huh. I always thought they were rather large.

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 19:52 Quote
No downhill tubes. I thought of that but after changing two flats a week ago at Mammoth, they were generic tubes. I just weighed a couple seats I had and I found a pound there. Just need one more...

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 19:52 Quote
NicholasCasswell wrote:
you should see specialized 2.5s lol

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 19:54 Quote
Nobble wrote:
NicholasCasswell wrote:
you should see specialized 2.5s lol
haha no thanks! Im running these tioga 2.5s right now and they are HUGE.

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 19:56 Quote
raggededgeracing wrote:
No downhill tubes. I thought of that but after changing two flats a week ago at Mammoth, they were generic tubes. I just weighed a couple seats I had and I found a pound there. Just need one more...
chain? you'd be surprised how much you can shave there...

stem, chainring...

edit: what seat/ post are you looking at? because SDG ibeams are really light

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 20:04 Quote
The bike was a demo bike Mammoth spec'd. It just says Rocky Mountain on the seat so who knows what it is. My son had his gel seat on it which clearly weighs more. The Howitzer has got to be heavy, relatively speaking. To be honest, I would like to get a two ring up front to make it somewhat more pedal friendly. SoCal is not exactly a downhill haven.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010339
Mobile Version of Website