Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.
Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 23:25 Quote
I hope they make a Saint freeride (super-enduro??) option too. 10-45 cassette with a Saint GS derailleur would be cool, and follow along from the previous groups having a DH/FR mode converter.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 0:07 Quote
I hope the brakes are something special. There’s not really anywhere to go now as even the deore 4 pots are as good as the saints.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 0:50 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
I hope the brakes are something special. There’s not really anywhere to go now as even the deore 4 pots are as good as the saints.

Not sure exactly what they will do. It used to be that Zee was sort of a 4 piston Deore / SLX & Saint was sort of a 4 piston XT / XTR, but with those models now having their own dedicated 4 piston versions, I don't see how Shimano will avoid overlap.

Right now I feel Saints are too heavy for what they offer. I swapped from Saint to Magura; the Magura were notably lighter out of the box, and most definitely more powerful with more modulation on the bike. I was quite surprised.

Maybe the push for 220+ rotors in DH is indicative that Saint & Zee should be some sort of power monsters that can compete with Trickstuff & Magura MT7 / MT5 in stopping power? A 6 piston Saint that could rival that would be hot (both figuratively and literally).

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 2:40 Quote
That’s all I want. All the power

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 5:17 Quote
Really going off the deep end into wishful thinking - but a non-servo wave lever coupled with an oversized 4-piston caliper would be sick. Sort of like the old XTR/Saint combo Graves would run back in 2015 would be cool to see.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 6:20 Quote
riish wrote:
I hope they make a Saint freeride (super-enduro??) option too. 10-45 cassette with a Saint GS derailleur would be cool, and follow along from the previous groups having a DH/FR mode converter.

How would this be any different than from a slx/xt/xtr derailleur with a 10-45 cassette?

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 6:25 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

Not sure exactly what they will do. It used to be that Zee was sort of a 4 piston Deore / SLX & Saint was sort of a 4 piston XT / XTR, but with those models now having their own dedicated 4 piston versions, I don't see how Shimano will avoid overlap.

Right now I feel Saints are too heavy for what they offer. I swapped from Saint to Magura; the Magura were notably lighter out of the box, and most definitely more powerful with more modulation on the bike. I was quite surprised.

Maybe the push for 220+ rotors in DH is indicative that Saint & Zee should be some sort of power monsters that can compete with Trickstuff & Magura MT7 / MT5 in stopping power? A 6 piston Saint that could rival that would be hot (both figuratively and literally).

I read the bike rumor article where they talked to Shimano and the guy said that they currently have no plans to offer 223mm rotors and that don't have any world cup racers really asking for more power. Maybe this indicates that they have no plans to do a power bump.

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 6:27 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
riish wrote:

How would this be any different than from a slx/xt/xtr derailleur with a 10-45 cassette?

Duh, it says Saint on it

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 6:34 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
riish wrote:

Shorter cage (GS) instead of SGS. Right now if you want the extra ground clearance, the XTR derailleur is the only GS option.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 6:37 Quote
riish wrote:
hmstuna wrote:
riish wrote:

Shorter cage (GS) instead of SGS. Right now if you want the extra ground clearance, the XTR derailleur is the only GS option.

Right I had forgotten that they didn't offer GS cages in slx and xt. Still not sure what is wrong with xtr

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 8:15 Quote
Nothing, and it’ll probably be what I put on the Nomad. But I’d happily buy a GS-cage 12speed mech with a non-carbon cage and the Saint integrated skid plate over XTR.

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 8:19 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

I read the bike rumor article where they talked to Shimano and the guy said that they currently have no plans to offer 223mm rotors and that don't have any world cup racers really asking for more power. Maybe this indicates that they have no plans to do a power bump.

But if it's still in development they are not going to just come right out and say it or maybe they up the power output so they don't feel like they need larger rotors.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 18:37 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
hmstuna wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:

But if it's still in development they are not going to just come right out and say it or maybe they up the power output so they don't feel like they need larger rotors.
I really don't see what they could do, i could see a new lever to match I spec EV used on the slx/XT/xtr offerings, an updated caliper with a new bleed port layout, aswell as a retune of the servo wave for better modulation. At the end of the day the problems they need to fix are the wandering bite point & short service intervals which are problems they've been unable to remedy since the servo wave brakes came to be nearly a decade ago. I'm not saying that Shimano brakes are bad, but I'm saying that they've not improved in a long time, while the competition has improved in almost every regard. The only reason to buy Shimano these days is if you like the lack of modulation or you travel frequently and want to get spares anywhere.

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 18:47 Quote
Yeah that’s why I wouldn’t write off the larger rotors because like you said what else are they going to do other than drop some weight.

Brakes are one of those things that are at a point of refinement that there is not much more you can do with the system other than change the feel and possibly increase reliability.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 18:57 Quote
I just recently went the Shigura route. If shimano can make a brake like that then I’ll be the first to buy

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.058491
Mobile Version of Website