Dirt and tool descussion for tools like me

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Dirt and tool descussion for tools like me
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2011 at 15:54 Quote
Ok, so i keep bringing threads of topic discussing dirt and tools, so now i have somewhere to bring it, join me as the title suggests in my boring but intricate quest to venture into the world of dirt, tools, and maybe some building methods

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 at 16:02 Quote
Jack of all trades master of none in my opinion

FL
Posted: Nov 11, 2011 at 16:05 Quote
Favourite dirt for winter trails?

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 at 16:11 Quote
sand with a tiny bit of clay, hands down: Next

Mod
Posted: Nov 11, 2011 at 16:15 Quote
Are we talking DJ or FR? For FR I'd throw a whole load of stone in there too.

Posted: Nov 12, 2011 at 1:12 Quote
DJ And never stones as you need to move the f*cker which is hard graft, pipes are the answer to all your needs
fr i would just leave whatever is on top, and have everything else wood

dh i have no idea, but i can imagine anything will work

Posted: Nov 12, 2011 at 10:15 Quote
if you mix in small stones it makes it more hard wearing. for our local black run, the ground is a mixture of clay, sand and small stones (once weve taken the big ones out haha) and its brilliant for making stuff Smile

on the surface of the ground theres a 6 inch layer of crap (pine needles and soil all mulching down) so we scrape it back to the good stuff underneath then go from there Smile

Posted: Nov 12, 2011 at 11:56 Quote
Yeah man, i know the stuff, it just depends what sort of setup you have, like my winter setup is ever changing, so easy digging is a big factor. also as it is a side spot to winter digging then you want stuff to go up fast and get fixed fast in my opinion

Posted: Nov 12, 2011 at 17:28 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
Yeah man, i know the stuff, it just depends what sort of setup you have, like my winter setup is ever changing, so easy digging is a big factor. also as it is a side spot to winter digging then you want stuff to go up fast and get fixed fast in my opinion

nah, we just spend the time to make everything last, weve spent the last year repairing and tweaking what was already there, weve just started building our own additional short line, building it so we wont ever have to repair it Big Grin

Posted: Nov 13, 2011 at 2:23 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
James-Carey wrote:

nah, we just spend the time to make everything last, weve spent the last year repairing and tweaking what was already there, weve just started building our own additional short line, building it so we wont ever have to repair it Big Grin

Fair enough, if it is your main spot, personally i wrap the trails in cardboard in summer then they just get unwraped come winter, solid and prime, but being sand they son get wrecked, and changed as our riding styles changed over the year

Posted: Nov 13, 2011 at 4:24 Quote
with it being a public black run we cant really cover anything, or stop people riding it, so we have to make sure its right when we finish building Smile and with the ground being like it is, it doesnt get torn up too much or owt, its been there 3/4 years now, and yeah, weve had to repair a fair bit of it, but a lot of it has stayed nicely intact Smile

Posted: Nov 13, 2011 at 4:27 Quote
Wanted to adjust a trail but ramblers use it,they also got miffed when i cut back holly bushes and left a trail of broken glass from top to bottom,let's hope it's their or another ramblers dog that finds the glass first.

Posted: Nov 13, 2011 at 4:31 Quote
yeah, the site our runs on is a mixed user site, we have walkers putting logs across the trails from time to time, walkers walking down the trails (oh yeah, i forgot they bermed footpaths these days) and just generally people not agreeing with us being there. tough shit is what i say, the council allowed it to be built and even funded the red loop thats there aswell. weve been told that if a biker hits a walker on the trails, we can pretty much sue the walker, because there are enough signs saying no to walk on the trails Smile i mean, if we go flying down a bridleway and hit someone, its our fault, but not on the trails

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.094571
Mobile Version of Website