Change Fork Oil?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Change Fork Oil?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 15, 2011 at 11:38 Quote
Hey,
I have a Fox F100, Do i have to change the oil Regularly?

Thanks,
freddy

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 at 12:11 Quote
yes you should, if you ride a lot you need to chage oil very often i do the oil changes every time the oil color changes, its about every 3 months but just because i do it by myself, i sujest check the fox page for more details
freddy-b wrote:
Hey,

Thanks,
freddy

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 at 12:16 Quote
andreDHlive wrote:
yes you should, if you ride a lot you need to chage oil very often i do the oil changes every time the oil color changes, its about every 3 months but just because i do it by myself, i sujest check the fox page for more details
freddy-b wrote:
Hey,

Thanks,
freddy

Thanks for such a quick reply,

I ride friday afternoon, all saturday and sunday morning.

How often should i change it.. ?

Thanks,

Posted: Nov 15, 2011 at 13:08 Quote
fox says every 50 hours of riding check this http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/09/Eng/2009_OM_eng.htm

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2011 at 19:00 Quote
Last week a customer who didn't change his oil regularly came in to my shop with blown seals. He put off fork maintenance so long his stanchions wore out, and he had to get new ones. That was a $300 job just on his fork. So you don't want to keep up to date on your fork rebuilds, that will be you.

One thing I really need to stress is that you can't wait until your seals are blown to get them replaced. That means the damage has been done by the time you get the fork serviced. Preventive maintenance is the key here.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 15, 2011 at 19:54 Quote
Mattynf wrote:
Last week a customer who didn't change his oil regularly came in to my shop with blown seals. He put off fork maintenance so long his stanchions wore out, and he had to get new ones. That was a $300 job just on his fork. So you don't want to keep up to date on your fork rebuilds, that will be you.

One thing I really need to stress is that you can't wait until your seals are blown to get them replaced. That means the damage has been done by the time you get the fork serviced. Preventive maintenance is the key here.

Also keep in mind if it was bad enough to wear his stanctions that his lower bushings are also likely worn. Changing the oil in your fork is like changing the oil in your car: You do it before theres no more oil in it and it will save you hundreds

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2011 at 18:25 Quote
Luckily his bushings stayed in good shape this time around, but that is indeed a likely outcome.

Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 17:54 Quote
maybe i should do anoil change for my forks....

I've got a set of Marz MX Comps 06' or 07's...I got them 2nd hand in 08' and haven't serviced them yet....but they were on a daily rider....i think it's overdue for an oil change....

Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 18:01 Quote
hope your internals aren´t worn.

Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 18:03 Quote
andreDHlive wrote:
hope your internals aren´t worn.

they still function like when I first got them..ETA still works haven't really noticed anything.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013777
Mobile Version of Website