Builders discussion and rant zone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Builders discussion and rant zone
Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 20:16 Quote
robbiedunks1 wrote:
ghooostdog wrote:
MrDman wrote:
So just a quick question to see how it is for you guys;

How far is it for you to get to the top of your trail? (from your house or something)

For me I have to get in the truck with my bike and drive about 2 miles from my house to a dirt road, which is about another mile of just sandy and rough road. Then I get to the bottom of the hill and its a bit of a technical climb in the truck where you have to drive over some rocks and around some boulders for about a half mile. All to get to a mediocre downhill trail.

Half an hour drive dude, and my local trail used to suck too...
Why not make it a super cool downhill trail?

It rains about three times a year here, getting water to the trail other ways is a pita, resulting in not alot of quality building going on lol

yes right, but maybe something dry, dusty and loose could do the trick...
rock gardens, loose corners, piled rock kickers...
I guess you know that already anyway Smile

Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 20:30 Quote
Oh wow this actually makes me appreciate my overall shitty area to build in lol I just love in a spot that is heavily populated georgia is like perfect for building trails because we have red clay under a carpet of loam.... Which is exactly what you want because clay is good for jumps and loam is well.... It's loam lol

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 18:08 Quote
TreyDownhill wrote:
yummy loam Drool
Ya forreal look at my featured video that's my friends and I shredding a trail we made!

Posted: Jan 18, 2015 at 19:53 Quote
Has anyone tried using a rope tow for a dh trail?

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 9:35 Quote
does anyone no how to calculate how far to build the landing ramp away from the jump.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 9:44 Quote
addyere wrote:
does anyone no how to calculate how far to build the landing ramp away from the jump.
guesstimation lol

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 9:49 Quote
Base it from your experiences riding other jumps.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 9:56 Quote
Or build the take off and see where you land Wink

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 11:09 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
Or build the take off and see where you land Wink

If it isn't too big of a jump hahaha. but this does work, or if you can, try to stand back and visualize it to the best you can... as they said, guesstimation.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 11:17 Quote
Remember parabolas in math class? Your trajectory will be a parabola, you just need to visualize the speed and air, it should fall into place.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 11:23 Quote
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
Remember parabolas in math class? Your trajectory will be a parabola, you just need to visualize the speed and air, it should fall into place.

to add, maybe see how fast you go down that segment of trail, then space the jumps by the estimated amount of hangtime... if that makes sense.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 11:26 Quote
make it possible shorter gap than needed as its easier to change one too small than one too big

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 11:31 Quote
jaha222 wrote:
make it possible shorter gap than needed as its easier to change one too small than one too big

Any adjustments to jump distance should be done at the lip side, or have room on the lip side of the jump. Moving landings is so much more work.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 12:04 Quote
some and some, step downs the lip would be easier to adjust but another jump it might be different

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019514
Mobile Version of Website