Any thoughts or preferences on flat pedals for xc/am?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Any thoughts or preferences on flat pedals for xc/am?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 8, 2012 at 6:53 Quote
Looking to pick up flats and drop my clipless pedals this year, has anyone got and great or terrible experiences, or useful information (they all seem to be more expensive than i anticipated!)

Posted: Jan 8, 2012 at 15:18 Quote
Wellgo mg-1 is a cheap, light, reliable pedal, you can pick them up for £30. Might be worth getting some longer grub screws for more grip (m4 10mm or something, a few quid on ebay). Some people say the platform is a bit on the small size but I don't notice. I haven't broken mine yet and they've seen a lot of abuse in the past two years.

It may be a bit weird not being clipped in at first but you'll get used to it quickly.

Posted: Jan 8, 2012 at 17:42 Quote
I have a set of clipless and flat for my mountain ride...I swap them out depending on riding situation, I do like flats quite a bit, but for extensive climbs, clipless is the only way

Posted: Jan 9, 2012 at 7:57 Quote
have a look at these not sure what the ignite range is like but the others you cant go wrong with
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=42&osCsid=368576d357d75a644ee210a66d01cad7

Posted: Jan 9, 2012 at 7:58 Quote
have a look at these not sure what the ignite range is like but the others you cant go wrong with
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk

Posted: Jan 10, 2012 at 7:57 Quote
Something I learned is that magnesium pedals don't like to bash rocks. I have been using Sixty magnesium pedals only for rocky terrain, and the pins keep getting ripped out. they are also not thin. next time I'd get aluminum thin pedals with pins that screw in from the opposite side. hope that helps.

Posted: Jan 10, 2012 at 13:08 Quote
Superstar Tech Nanos are tha bomb! They do cost £43, but they are much better quality than I was expecting.

Also there's Kona Wah Wahs which are supposedly of generally the same quality for a tener less, no personal experience with them though.

Posted: Jan 11, 2012 at 12:43 Quote
Truvativ Hussefelts have been on my XC rig for a couple seasons now. Rugged and they have some super scary pins and you will not slip. If you pedal strike your shin with them, you will bleed and probably need some stitches. I don't fun them on my freeride / DJ bike for that reason... well, and the fact you need some special tool to rebuild them that I've never found available. Only issue I've had is bending pins in rock gardens, but bent pins have been no problem to replace. Not sure about the weight on them.

Posted: Jan 11, 2012 at 22:52 Quote
小弟一直用脚踏来骑山路,不专业的路过
mg-1真是无处不在的好东西

Posted: Jan 11, 2012 at 23:52 Quote
jimao wrote:
小弟一直用脚踏来骑山路,不专业的路过
mg-1真是无处不在的好东西
难得看到个中国人啊

Posted: Jan 12, 2012 at 0:35 Quote
Psoulocybe wrote:
Truvativ Hussefelts have been on my XC rig for a couple seasons now. Rugged and they have some super scary pins and you will not slip. If you pedal strike your shin with them, you will bleed and probably need some stitches. I don't fun them on my freeride / DJ bike for that reason... well, and the fact you need some special tool to rebuild them that I've never found available. Only issue I've had is bending pins in rock gardens, but bent pins have been no problem to replace. Not sure about the weight on them.

I did exactly that when i was into dirt jumping, My shin was glued though, looks pretty now!

Posted: Jan 12, 2012 at 0:38 Quote
All really helpful thanks guys, I do like the aesthetics of the superstar stuff,(always have!) but i'll have a good look at all of those before i buy this month some time

Posted: Jan 12, 2012 at 18:54 Quote
LiuJianMing wrote:
jimao wrote:
小弟一直用脚踏来骑山路,不专业的路过
mg-1真是无处不在的好东西
难得看到个中国人啊

难得看到中国人在这蛋疼的评论老外,呵呵

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2012 at 17:09 Quote
marzocchidjiii wrote:
All really helpful thanks guys, I do like the aesthetics of the superstar stuff,(always have!) but i'll have a good look at all of those before i buy this month some time

Take a look at the Deity Compound pedals before you buy. I'm really enjoying my pair.

First off, the price is unbeatable. $48.00 and took about a week to show up: http://www.deitycomponentsstore.com/deity-compound-pedals.html

Since the body is a solid piece of plastic, any wear I've manage to create has only revealed more of the same colored plastic so they still look pretty much brand new.

The pins on these pedals are longer than any other pedal I've tried, plus the body itself sits farther out from the crank arm so I do not rub on the crank or chain stays as frequently anymore.

My pair has shrugged off some big hits and kept my feet planted even in the snow. In the worst conditions, my feet feel very firmly planted to the pedal and have not noticed any slippage in the center. Deity's compound pedals do have what appears to be a bead blasted type finish so that could be why they don't get slippery.

I also like that Deity offers $18 a side replacement body's for their pedals with pins! http://www.deitycomponentsstore.com/deity-compound-body.html

So far I really like them and would definitely recommend a pair. I plan to really put their strength to the test on my DH bike this summer.

More good things about them here: http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/plastic-pedals-763721.html

Posted: Jan 22, 2012 at 17:15 Quote
I've been happy with good old DMR V8's for years, although the bearings can get rough over time (although that might be due to me not greasing them ever :/ )

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014938
Mobile Version of Website