Scott Gambler OWNERS

PB Forum :: Downhill
Scott Gambler OWNERS
Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 0:37 Quote
I have the same bike in the uk and have it in the 9.5 setting and it's awesome! I found that if you have the wrong spring rate or if you don't have the shock set up properly then it does feel squishy like you say, what shock do you run?

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 7:03 Quote
mcbbuilds wrote:
I have the same bike in the uk and have it in the 9.5 setting and it's awesome! I found that if you have the wrong spring rate or if you don't have the shock set up properly then it does feel squishy like you say, what shock do you run?

Fox dhx RC4. According to scott I need a 400x3.25 spring in the 9.5 setting. My bike came with a 350x3.25 spring. With no preload I'm at exactly 33% sag in the 8.2 setting. If I run the same sag in the 9.5 setting with the correct spring it will feel the same?

Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 8:14 Quote
You need about 25% sag in the 9.5 setting like I have, ramp the spring rate up but no more than 4 turns on the preload ring or you can break your shock and put a few clicks of compression on too, lastly set your rebound slightly slower in that setting unless you like to be thrown up in the air

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 13:15 Quote
mcbbuilds wrote:
You need about 25% sag in the 9.5 setting like I have, ramp the spring rate up but no more than 4 turns on the preload ring or you can break your shock and put a few clicks of compression on too, lastly set your rebound slightly slower in that setting unless you like to be thrown up in the air

Great thanks for the info. I had about 35% sag in the 9.5 setting with the preload maxed out at 4 turns. Might of been why I found it so soft. Scott reccomends 40% sag. Seems way too much.

Also what is your shock set at for high and low speed compresion? I find it hard to setup the rear. Not as easy as the front to make fine adjustments.

Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 14:29 Quote
I run a vivid so would be different but on that i run two clicks back from full on

Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 14:46 Quote
It's all personal preference, try both ends of the spectrum and go from there. I personally found my bike felt way to wallowy, so I run my compression at full or 1 click out depending on the trail, but that's just me, some people like it softer.

Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 15:14 Quote
I run my suspension fairly firm, with mid to slowish rebound. But like said, it's all personal preference.

Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 16:13 Quote
I've always found the gambler a bit of a pain when it comes to rebound, it's basically stuck between 1 click, 1 click too many makes it hard to jump and 1 click less makes it buck, right royal pain!

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2014 at 17:36 Quote
mcbbuilds wrote:
I've always found the gambler a bit of a pain when it comes to rebound, it's basically stuck between 1 click, 1 click too many makes it hard to jump and 1 click less makes it buck, right royal pain!

I noticed the same thing. I was getting bucked on jumps. I didn't have time to set it up though. I bought the bike in whistler and took it the bike park right after. I wasn't even shopping for a bike, I saw it for sale at a shop and bought it on the spot lol.

Thanks for all the help, I now have a pretty good idea on how to set up the rear end. I'm going to pick up a 400x3.25 spring.

Posted: Sep 12, 2014 at 0:05 Quote
I would go for a 450 and let the spring do most of the work rather than the shock to be honest

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 15:15 Quote
Could do with a bit off advice had a 2011 gambler but some twat nicked it a few months back so I got a giant glory through my insurance and loving it but I keep fancying a gambler again looking at a the newer model 2013-14 model and just wounded if anybody had ridden both to compare cheers for any help

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 19:36 Quote
mcbbuilds wrote:
I would go for a 450 and let the spring do most of the work rather than the shock to be honest

I'm on the lower end of the weight rating for a 400 spring. Thinking I will give that a try first and if I need less sag I will get a 450. But with gear I am only 145 lbs. I'm tiny lol.

On another note, I took my scott gambler to the local trails today. Sooooo glad I have a second bike, a norco range. The gambler was way too much bike for trail riding. I spent more time walking the bike than I did riding and it was a pain on the technical, slow stuff. But the rear end felt a lot better in the 8.2 setting.

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 0:09 Quote
here's mine, after a weekend riding it's hands down the best frame i've ever ridden, even with the Van R shock!

2013 Scott Gambler Boxxer World Cups
2013 Scott Gambler Boxxer World Cups

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 2:15 Quote
Yeah I popped my shock at the weekend...only 3 weeks old too! Loving the bike though. Much faster than my Mondy! Anyone else had issues with the van shock?

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 3:35 Quote
Other than the lack of adjustability?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014103
Mobile Version of Website