Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed
Posted: May 22, 2013 at 21:40 Quote
status

My raw specialized status... as far as i'm aware its the only raw one out there right now, But i'm most likely wrong.

Posted: May 23, 2013 at 0:50 Quote
sidermang wrote:
status

My raw specialized status... as far as i'm aware its the only raw one out there right now, But i'm most likely wrong.

Man this is nice! Bikes look so much nicer rawed!

Posted: May 30, 2013 at 17:02 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/joeledzeppelin/DSCF2607_zps162900d7.jpgrawed ns traffic

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 11:38 Quote
photo
First post ever so please be gentle! My YT tues 2.0 ltd.[PI=https://www.pinkbike.com/u/slapbassmunky/album/yt-tues-20-ltd-polished/?directtolastphoto size=l0 align=c][/PI]

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 13:06 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
polished yt ltd 3

that could be the coolest bike ever!!!

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 18:32 Quote
In the process of rawing my frame, (day 1 of 2).
Using aircraft stripper, a stripping brush for ma drill, and elbow grease.
Anyone have any tips on how to speed it up or
cool finish ideas?

Pics if possible!

Danka, shots up soon!

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 18:41 Quote
Wow,this is my new favorite thread! All the rigs look so good.

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 19:21 Quote
carter-hill wrote:
In the process of rawing my frame, (day 1 of 2).
Using aircraft stripper, a stripping brush for ma drill, and elbow grease.
Anyone have any tips on how to speed it up or
cool finish ideas?

Pics if possible!

Danka, shots up soon!

just spend your time and put lots of love on it! Wink

Posted: Jun 1, 2013 at 2:25 Quote
My advice to anyone wishing to do this is to steer clear of anything abrasive unless you absolutely have to. Mine was media blasted with plastic grain, the finish was like a friends raw turner after just that process. Where there were marks/gouges i've taken them down with 1500/2000 grit paper with lots of water and soap but it takes a lot of work to get rid of the swish marks.

After that autosol on my drill + flap wheel then a final buff by hand with brasso, oh and a rub over with a rag damped down with ACF50! It took around 5-6 hours total, but only because the media blasting was so gentle, otherwise I'd still be sat in the garden swearing now.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2013 at 4:24 Quote
Slapbassmunky wrote:
My advice to anyone wishing to do this is to steer clear of anything abrasive unless you absolutely have to. Mine was media blasted with plastic grain, the finish was like a friends raw turner after just that process. Where there were marks/gouges i've taken them down with 1500/2000 grit paper with lots of water and soap but it takes a lot of work to get rid of the swish marks.

After that autosol on my drill + flap wheel then a final buff by hand with brasso, oh and a rub over with a rag damped down with ACF50! It took around 5-6 hours total, but only because the media blasting was so gentle, otherwise I'd still be sat in the garden swearing now.

Those are all abrasive methods you just mentioned.

Posted: Jun 1, 2013 at 8:16 Quote
if you want a polished frame, abrasive methods (like sanding) are 100% necessary.
aircraft paint stripper does exactly the same thing as media blasting, but with no chance of pitting (just takes longer, and is much more nasty haha). no wire brush is needed to remove the paint if you get the good stuff, all I needed was a good rubber putty knife. if you don't want swirl marks, wet sanding with emery cloth (2500-3000 grit) works well before final polishing.

Posted: Jun 1, 2013 at 12:17 Quote
smike wrote:
Slapbassmunky wrote:

Those are all abrasive methods you just mentioned.

Sorry I should have clarified, i was trying to be helpful not confuse. By abrasive I ment sandpaper, don't attack your frame with 320 grit paper and expect to have an easy job on your hands. I also wouldn't class autosol & brasso as abrasives (although yes, they are) more a cutting compound. In the couple of areas where I used the paper to take down marks it took a lot longer with the autosol to polish back up. I agree that paint stripper is the way to go, unless you know exactly what media the blaster is using.

Posted: Jun 3, 2013 at 14:27 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
polished yt ltd 3

Man that frame looks frickin awesome!

Posted: Jun 11, 2013 at 16:03 Quote
My first paint stripping attempt. Took forever since the previous owner got tired of the trans red and applied multiple layers of industrial matte black. 2008 Nomad
photo

And my second. This one also had a rattle can paint job on it but was much easier. I did not pay as much attention to detail since I wanted to get it rebuild ASAP. 2010 Makulu
photo

FYI I did both frames with this:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/d6/d62511b7-fb4c-4db1-bc53-27ed4c65adb8_300.jpg
It took many coats on the Nomad and a few less with the Makulu. I used a plastic and metal paint scraper as well as various stiffness wire brushes with the paint stripper. Then I used scotchbite pads to clean it up a little more. Didn't have to patience to keep polishing. The metal seems to make a difference in the look too. After stripping the paint, the Nomad looked more polished than the Makulu.

Curious about the polished Boxxer in this thread. Was the initial stripping done mechanically (plasted or ground/sanded) or chemically (paint stripper/acid dip)?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014804
Mobile Version of Website