Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed
Posted: Feb 11, 2023 at 10:29 Quote
Alright gotta share my personal experience:My cranks were originally black but with a crap ton of shoe rubbing they kinda tyrned raw-with-black-small-dots-ish which looked horrendeous. I randomly found this thread and I was like hmmmm raw bikes and parts look kinda good so I thought I might give it a try and even if I didn't like them raw, I could just spray paint them black. I bought stuff that costed about 25 euros, but it turned out I could've done the job with just 5 euros. Anyways, I started rawing my cranks today morning and it went horrendeously bad,could be because the hardware store owner thought I could use some rust remover to remove paint. He even said it would be more efficient than a paint stripper at removing the paint. Anyway, I ended up using sandpaper to try and strip the cranks, didn't do much, at least I unlocked the "maybe I should try 1 grit sandpaper, because the 180 grit doesn't do sheet" achievement. Last half an hour of sunlight I had, I tried the only one thing left I could use, a whatever wirey thing you can mount on a drill and it spints and it makes the paint go brrrrrr. Turns out it does exactly that, I was so relieved something was finally working but gotta finish tomorrow, not a bad start though. It kinda leaves big cuts on the metal but after sanding it down a bit it looks wayy too good. It kinda started growing on me and now I am officially obsessed!

Posted: Feb 11, 2023 at 11:58 Quote
In the future if you want to strip anything,you need to use a stripper that contains methylene chloride(banned in some countries) but available online. Also for anodized aluminum, oven cleaner works well.

Posted: Feb 12, 2023 at 5:36 Quote
DJ-24 wrote:
In the future if you want to strip anything,you need to use a stripper that contains methylene chloride(banned in some countries) but available online. Also for anodized aluminum, oven cleaner works well.
Yeah I read all about the stuff, but I couldn't find anything online, methylene chloride is indeed banned over here. Thanks for letting me know though

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2023 at 11:23 Quote
Does clear coat count ?

Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 4:22 Quote
tall-martin wrote:
Way too political in my opinion, please reconsider

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 at 6:18 Quote
DJ-24 wrote:

The component in oven cleaner that works is sodium hydroxide, aka lye, which is used in soap making. It may be easier to source in some places than oven cleaner. Another thing that works a treat on anodizing is concentrated heavy duty degreasers. I use Zep Industrial Purple with great results. Need to use gloves and at the very least goggles. Also make sure to keep an eye on your parts. More longer is not more better, as I nearly learned the hard way. It'll eventually pit aluminum.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2023 at 21:01 Quote
Has anyone tried this method on their frame?

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2023 at 22:27 Quote
I basically did that. It looked pretty cool, but was so annoying on a bright, sunny day. Light reflecting at every angle. Maybe if I lived in the PNW I’d do it again. It does fade after a bit, but to be expected and easy to touch up.

Posted: Feb 28, 2023 at 23:00 Quote
As you can see on the video, this method is great if you have scratch free aluminium, but if your frame has scratches of any depth it'll likely accentuate them. I think the process of working your way through rough to fine grades of wet and dry before polishing will give a better finish.

Posted: Nov 29, 2023 at 7:58 Quote
DJ with dropper and gears

Back when my DJ was my trail bike.

Posted: Nov 30, 2023 at 8:09 Quote
Latest project....

Had some electrical work done on the ebike so I decided to strip/polish (like all my other bikes).

Full Tear-down
Everything removed but the frame.

Stripped:
Paint removed.

Polished:
320 600 1000 and then polishing wheel. That s it.

Assembled:
FInished product. Tucking the harnesses was a pain in the ass.

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2023 at 20:28 Quote
2020 RM Slayer. Paint is pretty scuffed and scratched up from shuttling and good times over the past few years. Thinking about stripping it and going raw as a winter project. I don't think I've seen any raw Slayers out there.

Thoughts?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016398
Mobile Version of Website