The Ultimate Affordable Trail-Building Tool

PB Forum :: Trail Building
The Ultimate Affordable Trail-Building Tool
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 15, 2012 at 10:53 Quote
I don't know if anyone around here uses these to build their trails, but I just started using one a few weeks ago and I must say, it is a wonderful trail building tool. It has the handle of a large axe, and the head of a gardening hoe, with a catch, the head is much heavier and much beefier than a standard hoe head. I have used this thing to chop through trees 3 inches thick. In addition to that, it cuts away dirt as effectively as a normal pick would but with a much larger effective digging area. This tool also works as an excellent compactor.

Check it out here:
http://www.prohoe.com/field_hoes.html

The one I use and love is the 70F. Pick one up, I guarantee it will be a great supplement to any trail builders tool-kit, and it may even end up replacing a lot of the stuff you already have in there.

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2012 at 12:51 Quote
heron88 wrote:
I don't know if anyone around here uses these to build their trails, but I just started using one a few weeks ago and I must say, it is a wonderful trail building tool. It has the handle of a large axe, and the head of a gardening hoe, with a catch, the head is much heavier and much beefier than a standard hoe head. I have used this thing to chop through trees 3 inches thick. In addition to that, it cuts away dirt as effectively as a normal pick would but with a much larger effective digging area. This tool also works as an excellent compactor.

Check it out here:
http://www.prohoe.com/field_hoes.html

The one I use and love is the 70F. Pick one up, I guarantee it will be a great supplement to any trail builders tool-kit, and it may even end up replacing a lot of the stuff you already have in there.

Good find, well done sir

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 16:41 Quote
that looks a well nice tool cheers pal will try and DIG 1 out here in germany

Posted: Jun 27, 2013 at 5:23 Quote
I just wrote a huge review on this tool for my ipod to just erase it but take my word look into this tool its 100% better then what this tool gives you

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001BB32UC/ref=aw_d_dsc_lawn-garden

Posted: Jun 27, 2013 at 5:33 Quote
What about a maluk i think they called. Its like a pick axe one side nd the other has a wider head perfect for digging

Posted: Jun 27, 2013 at 5:58 Quote
They look like a good quality tool. I have been using a similar one that's locally made. Great for digging out cambers. All the farmers use them for digging. I think i pay about $8 for mine but it only lasts a few months and then needs replacing.

Posted: Jun 27, 2013 at 7:49 Quote
The tool is called a Mcleod , Best Trail building tool ever !

Posted: Jun 28, 2013 at 18:09 Quote
5lb Pick mattock and 2.5lb axe mattock cna handle 90% of anything you need IMO.

McCleod on a budget!

Posted: Jun 29, 2013 at 13:55 Quote
k3818919 wrote:
5lb Pick mattock and 2.5lb axe mattock cna handle 90% of anything you need IMO.

McCleod on a budget!
mattock thats what i ment to say.. Ace . Usefull for digging and quite handy for getting the ruff shape .

Posted: Jul 6, 2013 at 20:14 Quote
A round up poison sprayer for watering down the track evenly.

FL
Posted: Jul 25, 2013 at 11:49 Quote
i used the corona McLeod a solid piece of tools
bench cut fast and compress your dirt after

FL
Posted: Nov 6, 2013 at 12:47 Quote
a rogue prohoe 70h it cut roots easelly and benchcut fast. a really nice tools. i found at wallmart a seymour pulaski 40$ american made didn't have time to work with it, i worked with the rogue and it's a very capable tools that cut root, benchcut and skin a rock fast.

FL
Posted: Nov 25, 2013 at 10:45 Quote
i worked with my seymour pulaski, it's a great tool for 40$ easy to find and order it at walmart. it cut roots, branches fast. the rogue prohoes is unbeatable for benchcutting and skinning rock

Posted: Nov 28, 2013 at 11:45 Quote
Canadian Tire usually has these in stock: http://bikefat.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/mikey.jpeg?1984dd

Its a clay pick, has a sharp prong on one side and a wide scalloped earth mover on the other. By far my favourite tool. In Kamloops where there isn't much rock, this combined with a flat head shovel, makes the most beautiful trails.

I actually cut the pick end off so it is lighter and easy to haul around. The shitty thing is that I have broken one before. But at ~$35 they are pretty cheap.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013283
Mobile Version of Website