3 Ring Chain Guide - Bionicon C.Guide V 02

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
3 Ring Chain Guide - Bionicon C.Guide V 02
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 23, 2012 at 10:45 Quote
I really like a 3x9 AM setup but also see the advantages of a chain guide. I have been looking into some chain guide options for 3 ring set up. Has anyone out there tried the Bionicon C.Guide. I have emailed them and here is there response but curios to know some independent party responses.

http://www.bioniconusa.com/cguide/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W5xA7pd4Gs

Q and A with Bionicon:

How significant is the noise on this chain guide?
Very Quiet, much more quiet and a lot less annoying) than the chain slap it eliminates.

How often do you need to replace the slide mechanism due to wear?
On the V.01 the tube lasted me almost a year, the new one can be rotated for 4 different wear patterns so should last quite a while.

What is the cost of a new sliding mechanism? Replacement is going to be $10-12 at most
How much for shipping to Canada? Canada cost around $15 for International Priority

Thanks
Brett

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 2:00 Quote
It's awesome...but expensive, at least here. I got the V.01 and it works. The replacement tube thingy is around 40USD here in Switzerland which is a ripoff for a piece of plastic, but you can easily make it yourself with a piece of plastic tube or similar. Because of this I would rather buy the V.01 again, since the V.02 looks like you need to use their proprietary piece of plastic.
All in all a great product, just not so good value for money, but since there aren't any other options (that I know of) it's a good "choice".

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 8:15 Quote
Thanks Yeti85! I agree, price for this little thingy seems to be the issue for me as well. But with limited options, it could be the best bet out there. Glad to know it is working for you. Thanks. Just for interests sake for any other readers, here is the version 1 vs the version 2. Also one more question for you YETI85, do you find that the sound of the chain zipping through the plastic is noisy or annoying as you pedal? Sure it stops a bit of chain slap in the rough spots to quiet that down but I'm talking pedaling in general. I don't want to go back to the good old days of the sounds we used to make on our bikes by putting a piece of cardboard in the spokes to sound like we had a motorbike.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://interbike.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/MG_9554.jpg
yeti85 wrote:
It's awesome...but expensive, at least here. I got the V.01 and it works. The replacement tube thingy is around 40USD here in Switzerland which is a ripoff for a piece of plastic, but you can easily make it yourself with a piece of plastic tube or similar. Because of this I would rather buy the V.01 again, since the V.02 looks like you need to use their proprietary piece of plastic.
All in all a great product, just not so good value for money, but since there aren't any other options (that I know of) it's a good "choice".

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 9:18 Quote
Don't know about the new version but the V.01 is extremely silent. Put it another way: it's not more noisy than my drivetrain (X0 with XT cranks).

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 9:29 Quote
Good to know about the noise not being a problem...they are saying due to popularity they are on backorder in North America...I'll ad my name to their list. Thanks for your input.

Posted: Jan 26, 2012 at 8:07 Quote
Hi there, just want to ask, Im from Mexico so buying the c.guide is not posible at a LBS, do you know any site where I can buy it ? And just validating it works for 3X10 drivetrains right?

Regards.

Posted: Jan 26, 2012 at 8:15 Quote
Hey edr2,

Here is the email address for the North American Rep. Yes, this is for 3 rings!
paul@bioniconusa.com

You should be able to work with him directly as I don't think the website lets you order outside of the USA.

Posted: Jan 26, 2012 at 8:26 Quote
Thanks a lot brettkapcsos, I was really thinking to change to 2X10 fror the chain dropping off, but love my 3X10 cranckset, this product will make me really happy Smile

Regards.

brettkapcsos wrote:
Hey edr2,

Here is the email address for the North American Rep. Yes, this is for 3 rings!
paul@bioniconusa.com

You should be able to work with him directly as I don't think the website lets you order outside of the USA.

Posted: Apr 23, 2012 at 12:09 Quote
Had a chance to test out the c.guide 2.0. Simple to install, no added noise, chain slap eliminated below the chainstay, no dropped chains on drops or rough terrain. Excellent product.

Posted: Apr 23, 2012 at 13:30 Quote
I will buy mine next week Smile

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 at 5:59 Quote
Just bought mine today. I'll post pack when I get it installed ave a couple of hard runs on it. I'd say the is the only option when it comes to chain retention systems out there for the Reign.

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 at 9:33 Quote
Installed and tested mine v 02 today. You will likely forget it is there until it has broken off and is being sucked against your deraileur.

Am happy thus far.

Posted: Apr 30, 2012 at 13:24 Quote
Agree, product is great, but durability will be the real test.

mjones135 wrote:
Installed and tested mine v 02 today. You will likely forget it is there until it has broken off and is being sucked against your deraileur.

Am happy thus far.

Posted: May 5, 2012 at 10:37 Quote
Might be obvious to others...

While the instructions suggest that you mount on the chainstay nearest the crank, you will not want the CGuide to line up on the tire and potentially swing into the tire. Mounting further back seems less obvious given the location of other chain devices, but will likely prolong the life of your chain and deraileur. Moved mine after today's mudfest.

Posted: May 5, 2012 at 17:55 Quote
Hmm... I'll take that into consideration when I get mine next week.
mjones135 wrote:
Might be obvious to others...

While the instructions suggest that you mount on the chainstay nearest the crank, you will not want the CGuide to line up on the tire and potentially swing into the tire. Mounting further back seems less obvious given the location of other chain devices, but will likely prolong the life of your chain and deraileur. Moved mine after today's mudfest.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012926
Mobile Version of Website