What is RC2

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 26, 2012 at 21:34 Quote
I keep seeing rc2 in the descriptions of different forks, but i cant seem to find what it means. any help?

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 at 0:45 Quote
Marnin,

Google is your friend Wink But admittedly it can be confusing:
'RC2' is one option offered by FOX shocks for damping, it consists of a both high&low speed compression adjustment as well as rebound. This is the damper of choice for many of the longer travel FR/DH style of forks, its available on a variety of their forks.

Marzocci's have one with the same features called 'RC3' different design but basically the same set of features.
I.e. High/Low Speed Compression + Rebound damping

If you're shopping for forks you need to identify what damping feature set you want (i.e. just rebound, lockout, some compression damping, full high/low etc etc)
Then you can go to the manafacturers site from the fork you're looking at, it should help you cut through the acronyms and marketting guff to understand the difference between a FOX 36 FLOAT RLC and a marzocci 66 RCV!

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 at 0:49 Quote
thanks, thats pretty much what i was finding, but i coundnt find what the rc2 actually stood for, i am just assuming now that it is rebound and compression... the most confusing part for me was that everybody is using the term rc2, i thought it might be a single company's term, but marzocchi, fox and rockshox all have products with rc2

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 at 0:50 Quote
the whole reason i started looking into it was cause i just got a fox f series 32 with rc2

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 at 0:52 Quote
Yeah you got it in one mate, its probably rebound/compression x2 (high and low) or version 2 or whattever.
Bottom line, depending on what riding you do and what your budget allows in damping feature set, then go to the manafacturers sites to check out what the fork actually has Smile

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 at 0:53 Quote
Then shop no more - You need to be out riding an expensive piece of kit like that Wink

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 at 1:02 Quote
i would be riding, but 1 am is my curious time where i want to learn more about the stuff i am riding, anyways thanks for the help

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 at 9:55 Quote
Fox RC2 is rebound damping and separate low / high speed compression damping

the low speed compression damping allows you to tune small inputs like pedalling, braking, body movement and trail chatter (small ripples and surface debris)

too little low speed damping can make the fork over-active every time you pedal, brake or shift body weight

too much low speed damping can make the ride rough as the fork cannot deal with small movements

its all about finding a balance....

the high speed compression damping allows you to tune the fork response to large inputs like sudden impacts and landing drops

"high speed" actually refers to damper shaft-velocity and not actually riding at "high speed" although you are more likely to use high speed compression damping when going quick as you hit terrain harder

high speed in another example can also refer to the sudden increase in damper velocity when you go off a vertical drop (sometimes very slowly i.e. rolling speed) and the energy involved in the landing causes the damper shaft to move very quickly

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008687
Mobile Version of Website