Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
Just how bad is the original Öhlins RFX 36? Is it an ok fork with overblown issues, or is it really the steer-clear nightmare people are making it out as?

I picked an aweful time to build a new bike- Frame I’ve wanted was on sale, so bought that and needed to sell the old whip to pay for it. Now I’m under the gun to find a 29” Boost fork before Mont Saint-Anne & Snowshoe.

Budget is stretched thin due to the 30.9 Dropper not working with a shim as planned, and there are no good deals on a 36 Factory which is what I want for the bike.

Alla, the 36 RFX looks like a cheap interim option.

I hated my 36RFX .. My DVO Diamond is a way better overall fork for me. The OTT on the diamond is a little under gunned for my 210lbs and aggressive style, but it's still ages better off the top than my Poohlins was along with better control throughout the travel.

I put new lowers on my RFX, new seals, fresh overhauls, etc.. I never liked it.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 14:06 Quote
Soooo just steer clear of it then? Wish I had jumped on a factory 34 I had seen- I wanted a burlier 36, but once I buy a new 140mm spring & pay for tax / shipping, a new 36 will be north of a grand.

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 19:05 Quote
ive asked around a bit but just wondering if anyone has tried the XTR m9120 brakes. according to my sources, the weight is pretty much equal to Saints (+/- 10g) but none of my shop friends have actually gotten hands on them so im wondering if theres a reason to go with XTR over saint (other that spending an extra 200$).

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 19:12 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
Soooo just steer clear of it then? Wish I had jumped on a factory 34 I had seen- I wanted a burlier 36, but once I buy a new 140mm spring & pay for tax / shipping, a new 36 will be north of a grand.

I'd try to find a diamond if I were you. I love mine and you can find them used for $500 or less. Not sure your budget but it's alot less then a grand. Phenomenal fork and amazing service from DVO.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 19:59 Quote
ktm87 wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:

I'd try to find a diamond if I were you. I love mine and you can find them used for $500 or less. Not sure your budget but it's alot less then a grand. Phenomenal fork and amazing service from DVO.

Diamond has been on my short list, but no hits. I believe I saw a new one for $650 recently, but it was that cappuccino color (which by itself I love) that would have looked aweful on a yellow frame. I couldn’t bring myself to do it. A blue one would be a dead ringer for the right price.

Unfortunately DVO don’t seem to make a 184x44 shock size, or I would do a full swap to them for matchy matchy.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 20:44 Quote
sosburn wrote:
ive asked around a bit but just wondering if anyone has tried the XTR m9120 brakes. according to my sources, the weight is pretty much equal to Saints (+/- 10g) but none of my shop friends have actually gotten hands on them so im wondering if theres a reason to go with XTR over saint (other that spending an extra 200$).

Ive got a few test rides. I like the saints more in terms of the shimano bite feel. The tall lever blades on their new new are kind of wierdly tall feeling compared to everyting else out there. Id go saint and spend the $200 on a day out riding ur bicycle.

On the AXStopic. Have 300ish miles on the mega. Been just beating it up at the bike park lately. No issues surprisingly.
-The bike tipped straight over in a breeze and fell straight on the derailleur very hard. Didnt do shit to it! Just bent a hanger.
-Have had sticks fly into RD when riding trail the break away clutch has worked everytime.
-Shifting is rad
-The axs shifter and reverb paddles could be more ergonomic.
-Rainbow chain and cassette looks tits.
-Megatower with 445mm long chainstay setting slays bike park.
AXS strong like bull 5 out 5 stars.
Marks SRAM logo are from bike tipping over. That derailleur f*cks. (Silicon valley reference)

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 21:34 Quote
sosburn wrote:
IMHO, Shimano has dropped the ball with their new brakes for a while now, I don't see the m9120 being any different.

While Shimano brakes are easy to bleed they seem to cook fluid often and require more maintenance then other options on the market, this has really turned me off them so please take my advice with a grain of salt.

The new lever clamp does reduce lever flex which makes things feel a little more solid, and gives you slightly more room for dropper remotes (also a thing I dislike about Shimano brakes).

But you still have a servowave linkage that will blow up or start creaking after a year. You still have non serviceable lever bodies and calipers that have to be replaced instead of repaired if a seal fails or when the the ceramic pistons crack.

If it was my money I would be buying a set of hope brakes or trickstuff brakes if I could swing it. Alternatively my guide and code brakes have been awesome since I replaced the master cylinder with a metal one I made on my lathe.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 21:45 Quote
No love for the Hayes Dominions? The Dominion A4s seem to get universally glowing reviews. I considered them, but they were a little more than I wanted to spend when I picked up the MT5s (although now I wish I had just spent the difference).

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/hayes-dominion-review/

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 22:03 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:
Just how bad is the original Öhlins RFX 36? Is it an ok fork with overblown issues, or is it really the steer-clear nightmare people are making it out as?

I picked an aweful time to build a new bike- Frame I’ve wanted was on sale, so bought that and needed to sell the old whip to pay for it. Now I’m under the gun to find a 29” Boost fork before Mont Saint-Anne & Snowshoe.

Budget is stretched thin due to the 30.9 Dropper not working with a shim as planned, and there are no good deals on a 36 Factory which is what I want for the bike.

I hated my 36RFX .. My DVO Diamond is a way better overall fork for me. The OTT on the diamond is a little under gunned for my 210lbs and aggressive style, but it's still ages better off the top than my Poohlins was along with better control throughout the travel.

Evo upgrade is supposed to make a big difference in performance. Buddy has done 2 to customers forks and has said good things about it.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 22:35 Quote
d-man wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:

Evo upgrade is supposed to make a big difference in performance. Buddy has done 2 to customers forks and has said good things about it.

I know that they are supposed to be way better once done... But Ohlins f*cked us around so much and left so many of our customers hanging or with poor performing suspension that they are kinda on my black list for a while right next to Cane creek rear shocks..

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 6:13 Quote
nubbs wrote:
sosburn wrote:

Ive got a few test rides. I like the saints more in terms of the shimano bite feel. The tall lever blades on their new new are kind of wierdly tall feeling compared to everyting else out there. Id go saint and spend the $200 on a day out riding ur bicycle.

On the AXStopic. Have 300ish miles on the mega. Been just beating it up at the bike park lately. No issues surprisingly.
-The bike tipped straight over in a breeze and fell straight on the derailleur very hard. Didnt do shit to it! Just bent a hanger.
-Have had sticks fly into RD when riding trail the break away clutch has worked everytime.
-Shifting is rad
-The axs shifter and reverb paddles could be more ergonomic.
-Rainbow chain and cassette looks tits.
-Megatower with 445mm long chainstay setting slays bike park.
AXS strong like bull 5 out 5 stars.
Marks SRAM logo are from bike tipping over. That derailleur f*cks. (Silicon valley reference)

this is good to know, ill stick with saints then. ajax and ninja im sticking with shimano cause i get a discount on my entire shop order if i go that direction

Also really good to know about the AXS, i remember seeing nate hills drop his derailleur and have it be totally fine but its good to hear real life experience.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 7:40 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
No love for the Hayes Dominions? The Dominion A4s seem to get universally glowing reviews. I considered them, but they were a little more than I wanted to spend when I picked up the MT5s (although now I wish I had just spent the difference).

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/hayes-dominion-review/
I can't speak on them as I have no ride time on a set.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
sosburn wrote:
IMHO, Shimano has dropped the ball with their new brakes for a while now, I don't see the m9120 being any different.

While Shimano brakes are easy to bleed they seem to cook fluid often and require more maintenance then other options on the market, this has really turned me off them so please take my advice with a grain of salt.

The new lever clamp does reduce lever flex which makes things feel a little more solid, and gives you slightly more room for dropper remotes (also a thing I dislike about Shimano brakes).

But you still have a servowave linkage that will blow up or start creaking after a year. You still have non serviceable lever bodies and calipers that have to be replaced instead of repaired if a seal fails or when the the ceramic pistons crack.

If it was my money I would be buying a set of hope brakes or trickstuff brakes if I could swing it. Alternatively my guide and code brakes have been awesome since I replaced the master cylinder with a metal one I made on my lathe.

I swear it's been impossible to explain this to so many people. We've seen a ton of issues regarding Shimano brakes at the shop, and literally nobody believes it until their caliper has fallen apart and can't be serviced.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 11:37 Quote
Shimano has a bitchin warranty though. I warrantied two SLX levers and a Zee Caliper, got two XT levers and a Saint caliper.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 12:35 Quote
yeah ive had no issues with the 5+ sets of XT, Zee, SLX brakes ive had, and i like how they feel on the bike. Never ridden hopes or trickstuff so dont really feel like spending a bunch of money on something i probably wont like haha
maybe if i ever have problems with shimano ill consider something else.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.042249
Mobile Version of Website