Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
Have Rockshox , KS , Fox & Thomson droppers

SDG Tellis is next, don't want to think about droppers any more!!

Juice lubes fork juice ftw

Nice! Let me know if you have any questions on it when you get it. When setting up my posts I add cable tension until the post starts to slowly rise and then go a half turn back. That’ll give you instant actuation so minimal effort to get it moving.

I haven’t tried Juice Lube, but I’ll have to try it out. Usually I clean the post and rebuild with Slickoleum. Requires slightly more frequent service intervals, but definitely makes it even smoother.

Thanks Clap, will do tup

Juice lubes: 'before & after ride' spray on,cycle dropper,wipe off excess.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 9:06 Quote
Aside from Reverbs, I’ve had great luck with posts. My Fox Doss wouldn’t die. My later Transfer went on three bikes. Solid. My bike yoke was almost two years old when I sold it. Solid.

California living?

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 9:37 Quote
Circe wrote:
Aside from Reverbs, I’ve had great luck with posts. My Fox Doss wouldn’t die. My later Transfer went on three bikes. Solid. My bike yoke was almost two years old when I sold it. Solid.

California living?

Either that or your posts have all been the most reliable on the market!

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 9:44 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Circe wrote:

California living?

Either that or your posts have all been the most reliable on the market!

Technically, all three have a reputation for reliability....Which is why I used them.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 9:47 Quote
Circe wrote:
Technically, all three have a reputation for reliability....Which is why I used them.

That's what I mean. Could be the California lifestyle that keeps them fresh, but I suspect it's your choice of reliable products.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
Flagstaff local enduro pro Alex Pavon taking one for the team by posing for those stretching exercises.

I can't help but feel that Abbey, who was doing the yoga stuff regularly got tired of all the shitty comments.

I rode a 2015 Nomad the other day. Pretty crazy how weird 2015 "aggressive" geometry feels in comparison to my newschool 120mm 29er. The Nomad felt like a BMX bike. It's owner and I are pretty much the same build and height, but he runs a 35mm stem.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 10:49 Quote
PHeller wrote:
I rode a 2015 Nomad the other day. Pretty crazy how weird 2015 "aggressive" geometry feels in comparison to my newschool 120mm 29er. The Nomad felt like a BMX bike.

Things have changed quickly!

The v3 Nomad was conservative when it was released, particularly in reach. Compared to my overforked 2011 Stumpjumper EVO, the v3 Nomad was a little slacker in the head-tube angle and a little shorter in reach. Quite similar, though. I took the SJ EVO out for a spin in 2018 and yeah, it felt surprisingly foreign for something that was my main bike not so long ago.

The real shock was riding a friend's v1 Nomad (2005/6). It felt almost unrideable. Obviously, we did ride such bikes - and quite well - so it would be a matter of relearning, but the ease of riding a modern bike was immediately apparent and the difference was incredible. Equally incredible is that the v1 Nomad geometry was nearly unchanged until the v3 Nomad. A v2 Nomad in 2013 was quite the outlier in geometry and long overdue for an overhaul.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 10:56 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
PHeller wrote:
I rode a 2015 Nomad the other day. Pretty crazy how weird 2015 "aggressive" geometry feels in comparison to my newschool 120mm 29er. The Nomad felt like a BMX bike.

Things have changed quickly!

The v3 Nomad was conservative when it was released, particularly in reach. Compared to my overforked 2011 Stumpjumper EVO, the v3 Nomad was a little slacker in the head-tube angle and a little shorter in reach. Quite similar, though. I took the SJ EVO out for a spin in 2018 and yeah, it felt surprisingly foreign for something that was my main bike not so long ago.

The real shock was riding a friend's v1 Nomad (2005/6). It felt almost unrideable. Obviously, we did ride such bikes - and quite well - so it would be a matter of relearning, but the ease of riding a modern bike was immediately apparent and the difference was incredible. Equally incredible is that the v1 Nomad geometry was nearly unchanged until the v3 Nomad. A v2 Nomad in 2013 was quite the outlier in geometry and long overdue for an overhaul.

All SCB bikes are kind of conservative when they launch.

The V3 was so rad when it came out! I didn't pay too much attention to the geo, but it was remarkably better than other SCBs at the time (i'm looking at you, V1 Bronson and V1 5010/Solo). It's no mach for the N4 though.

Another cool thing about the N3 was the internal cable routing. They did tubes in tubes before most. It made the bike great to work on.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
California keeps everything fresh! except for tires lol.

I raced moto as a kid and it was amazing to spend a week in cali, never even have to wash your bike. Vs. solid 2 hour long wash/maintenance routine that absolutely had to follow every ride in the PNW, outside of summer.

Mud destroys bikes, we just don't notice in mtb because our stuff lasts a decently long time anyways.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 11:07 Quote
Circe wrote:
The V3 was so rad when it came out!

Another cool thing about the N3 was the internal cable routing. They did tubes in tubes before most. It made the bike great to work on.

Imagine how rad the SJ EVO felt in 2011! (With a Lyrik; the stock, 150 mm FLOAT with 32 mm stanchions was not up to the job.) It was like getting a v3 Nomad three years ahead of schedule.

As much as I criticize the geometry and kinematics of Santa Cruz bikes prior to the latest generation, they've always been great on the manufacturing side.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 11:14 Quote
This bike had a swingarm replaced after full-bike warranty of a V1 Bronson. Apparently back in the day SCB was upgrading a lot of bigger, radder riders to the Nomad. The owner was able to upgrade for $300. Then a year or two later put a hole in the swingarm and that was warrantied too.

He had no problems adapting to the big wheel and the much longer bike. He also cleared some tech climbs that he had struggled with previously. There is something to it!

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Circe wrote:
The V3 was so rad when it came out!

Imagine how rad the SJ EVO felt in 2011! (With a Lyrik; the stock, 150 mm FLOAT with 32 mm stanchions was not up to the job.) It was like getting a v3 Nomad three years ahead of schedule.

As much as I criticize the geometry and kinematics of Santa Cruz bikes prior to the latest generation, they've always been great on the manufacturing side.

Yeah, but you had to ride a Specialized. Ewww...I will admit that SJ Evo was a dope bike.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 12:02 Quote
I feel like Specialized deserves some credit for making big wheeled bikes popular. The SJ EVO 29er and Enduro 29 might not have been the first "aggressive" 29ers, but they certainly ended up in the hands of a lot of riders who had previously dismissed them.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 12:04 Quote
Circe wrote:
Yeah, but you had to ride a Specialized. Ewww...I will admit that SJ Evo was a dope bike.

I can't deny the public image issues with Specialized. Still, if we're looking at it in terms of making the world a better place, there's probably more good to be done by buying the cheapest bike that meets our performance criteria and donating the money we save to a charity.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 12:22 Quote
Don’t ride specialized.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.038471
Mobile Version of Website