Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 8:18 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Taxes are legalized, institutionalized theft.

I don't give a shit how much you make, take advantage of EVERY tax break or reduction or deferment or shelter you possibly can and do not ever feel bad about it.

And I suppose roads and public infrastructure should be privately funded? The military should be replaced by citizens militias?

I completely agree with utilising every method to reduce your tax burden, I even work in tax, but “tax is theft” is a libertarian cliché at best

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 8:23 Quote
Not even worth arguing with the fReE mArKet troll.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 8:46 Quote
abennett219 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

I don't give a shit how much you make, take advantage of EVERY tax break or reduction or deferment or shelter you possibly can and do not ever feel bad about it.

And I suppose roads and public infrastructure should be privately funded? The military should be replaced by citizens militias?

I completely agree with utilising every method to reduce your tax burden, I even work in tax, but “tax is theft” is a libertarian cliché at best

It is robbery. They take things away from you under a threat of lethal force. That is definition of robbery. And just in case they also disarmed most everyone in the world.

No better way to run critical infrastructures was found, but that does not change what it is. And they certainly need less of my money to fund what is actually useful.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 8:47 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Not even worth arguing with the fReE mArKet troll.

That is because you are a moron and have no argument.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
It’s a free market to live off grid and only have property tax. If you work and drive on roads to work then you should prob help contribute to those roads. Or even better would be to have the business that is making the profit off the roads cover some of the cost. But f*ck what do I know.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 9:58 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
It’s a free market to live off grid and only have property tax. If you work and drive on roads to work then you should prob help contribute to those roads. Or even better would be to have the business that is making the profit off the roads cover some of the cost. But f*ck what do I know.

I would be happy to contribute to roads. Or police. Or schools. But we contribute to "general fund", and they do whatever the f*ck they want with it.
Basically, government can probably do with half of what they take if they only focused on things actually needed.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 10:03 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Apparently not much...

Roads are paid for by property taxes, fuel taxes, and vehicle taxes... and states pay for the overwhelming majority of infrastructure, not the fed.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 10:03 Quote
Axxe wrote:
abennett219 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

It is robbery. They take things away from you under a threat of lethal force. That is definition of robbery. And just in case they also disarmed most everyone in the world.

No better way to run critical infrastructures was found, but that does not change what it is. And they certainly need less of my money to fund what is actually useful.

Stealing - take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it

There is a legal right, so it isn’t theft is it?

I’m in agreement with the small government, free market principles you mention as much as the next guy but “muh taxation is theft” is just stupid

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 10:04 Quote
abennett219 wrote:

Yeah, cause those things didn't exist before 1913 when the government decided to put their hand in every working man's pocket, right?

But sure, let's play your stupid game... OK, so military spending and infrastructure accounts for roughly $600-700 billion in spending each year, not including the $175 billion or so that states collectively spend on infrastructure. Hell, let's just be generous and call it $800 billion.

Total federal spending for 2021 is $6.8 TRILLION dollars.

So... you're big on infrastructure and military, that's really great so let's keep that... now do the other 89% of federal spending.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 10:07 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
abennett219 wrote:

Yeah, cause those things didn't exist before 1913 when the government decided to put their hand in every working man's pocket, right?

But sure, let's play your stupid game... OK, so military spending and infrastructure accounts for roughly $600-700 billion in spending each year, not including the $175 billion or so that states collectively spend on infrastructure. Hell, let's just be generous and call it $800 billion.

So... you're big on infrastructure and military, that's really great so let's keep that... now do the other 89% of federal spending.

The real scary part is that Tax revenue only accounts for about half that $6.8 Trillion.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 10:07 Quote
abennett219 wrote:
Stealing - take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it

There is a legal right, so it isn’t theft is it?

I’m in agreement with the small government, free market principles you mention as much as the next guy but “muh taxation is theft” is just stupid
The legal definition of theft is the intentional aquisition of the personal property of another without permission or consent, and with the intent to retain it for the takers' purposes.

I have offered no permission and have not consented to taxation, it is forced upon me under threat of penalty or imprisonment.

Taxation is theft isn't stupid... it's a fact. The only question is how much theft we're willing to tolerate.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 10:08 Quote
RMWB wrote:
The real scary part is that Tax revenue only accounts for about half that $6.8 Trillion.
And that 5% of that spending is going just to pay the interest on previous deficits.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 10:10 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
abennett219 wrote:

We are in agreement that the government, in both the UK and the US, is vastly bloated and spends far too much money. As someone who deals with HMRC daily I can tell you that government institutions are painfully inefficient and wasteful. I don’t know about tax history in the US but there have been taxes in the UK dating back to at least the 1200s, it isn’t some 20th century problem.

Just because something is a bad deal doesn’t make it theft though does it? Otherwise the car finance deals that huge amounts of Americans sign every year would be theft as well.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 10:13 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Apparently not much...

Roads are paid for by property taxes, fuel taxes, and vehicle taxes... and states pay for the overwhelming majority of infrastructure, not the fed.

Are all those not taxes? Those ones are ok though? Yes let’s just go back to pre 1913! That sounds like a good call.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 10:16 Quote
abennett219 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
abennett219 wrote:

We are in agreement that the government, in both the UK and the US, is vastly bloated and spends far too much money. As someone who deals with HMRC daily I can tell you that government institutions are painfully inefficient and wasteful. I don’t know about tax history in the US but there have been taxes in the UK dating back to at least the 1200s, it isn’t some 20th century problem.

Just because something is a bad deal doesn’t make it theft though does it? Otherwise the car finance deals that huge amounts of Americans sign every year would be theft as well.

People agree to finance their cars.

Income tax is a 20th century problem. By earning money, by any means, you are essentially forced allow the government skim off the top. in the Us its even worse as ex-pats are still forced to pay tax on income they earn outside the country. this would make me furious. In the past tax was usually only levied when a transaction occurred (sales tax, trade tax, land transfer tax)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.060297
Mobile Version of Website