Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 18:22 Quote
Also, I present the Chilpodium - just moved to Whistler and went full stupid with a Dorado. Chilcotin is dual crown rated so I figured why not?

Not noticeably heavier than the 38 and geometry change feels great. Shortened reach to ~480 due to taller a2c which I like because it lets me run a 45 stem instead of the 31 I had before. The slightly longer 48 rake offsets the slacker head angle so steering feels very similar. Plus slightly higher bb should mean fewer pedal strikes. Seems like it’s gonna slap pretty hard in the park.

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 20:45 Quote
Dual crowns and dropper posts yeah buddy

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 20:59 Quote
Nice ride!!!

The formula fork review was ok at best but formula missed the mark with the single coil negative spring. I think that really biased the whole review but it is also a major short coming for bigger riders who would probably be looking for something like this.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 21:20 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Dual crowns and dropper posts yeah buddy
I was somewhat inSpired by you Wink Salute

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 21:28 Quote
I know I'm never going to ride anything but my Levo for trail rides anymore.. But kinda getting the itch for another bike park rig. My OG SJ Evo with cascade link was rad with a Bomber CR and Z1.. Might order another Evo frame and do a 38mm 180mm fork this time.

I have XT/Zee brakes and 11s drivetrain, XT cranks, some OEM alloy bars/stem/dropper, DH wheelset/cushcore/DH tires, etc. Only thing I'd have to buy is a fork.

Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 23:16 Quote
scotteh wrote:
notsosikmik wrote:
He's a total dough head who rides with rebound damping fully open on everything. His opinion is worthless.
Regardless of your other views on Seb, I don’t think a preference for faster rebound should disqualify someone’s opinion. I don’t ride fully open, but far closer to open than closed. I find it provides a much more active ride and allows you to more easily push against the suspension to pump, pop, etc. IMO slow rebound feels like doo doo unless your suspension is crazy stiff and you’re going huge.

I'm with you.

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 4:33 Quote
notsosikmik wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Anyone else feel like the new Formula fork “review” on the home page really missed the mark and barely talked about what makes the fork interesting? (The difference between dual crown and single crown chassis performance)

All I got from it was that the damper and air spring don’t feel as good as a 38. Which comes as no surprise because it’s his favorite fork.

I dont really like seb’s suspension reviews, they tend to just be fox worship sessions.

He's a total dough head who rides with rebound damping fully open on everything. His opinion is worthless.

To give Seb the benefit of the doubt, 2019-2021 he thought the Rockshox Lyrik was the best fork available and tended to compare everything to that, it's only the latest gen Fox that he thinks has surpassed it and now he now uses the 38 as his benchmark.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/gear-of-the-year-seb-stott-2019

bigquotesThe 2019 Lyrik was a big step up over its predecessor, and following extensive comparative testing, I concluded it was the best enduro fork of its model year. Only the Fox 36 GRIP2 came close, but on balance I preferred the Lyrik because of its superior traction. It also happens to be significantly cheaper less expensive than the Fox.

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 4:35 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I know I'm never going to ride anything but my Levo for trail rides anymore.. But kinda getting the itch for another bike park rig. My OG SJ Evo with cascade link was rad with a Bomber CR and Z1.. Might order another Evo frame and do a 38mm 180mm fork this time.

I have XT/Zee brakes and 11s drivetrain, XT cranks, some OEM alloy bars/stem/dropper, DH wheelset/cushcore/DH tires, etc. Only thing I'd have to buy is a fork.

If it's a park bike something longer travel than a SJ Evo could be good? Something 170-ish travel?

Tonnes of deals out there atm, should be possible to do something cool

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 5:42 Quote
Ive had a few dual crown enduro bikes and have loved them.

My zerode was a riot

photo

Currently building up this firebird. Waiting for dropper and brakes to come in. without those its sitting at 27lbs right now. Need to swap on some burlier tires too.

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 9:04 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Nice ride!!!

The formula fork review was ok at best but formula missed the mark with the single coil negative spring. I think that really biased the whole review but it is also a major short coming for bigger riders who would probably be looking for something like this.

It is actually a 3-coil system which makes it even worse that it couldn't counterbalance the pressure required for Seb, who is not even that heavy at 85kg (187lbs).

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 9:16 Quote
tom666 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

If it's a park bike something longer travel than a SJ Evo could be good? Something 170-ish travel?

Tonnes of deals out there atm, should be possible to do something cool

Still have ties to my old shop that's a Special-Ed shop. Want Alloy for beater budget and anti rock properties.

With the cascade link, it bumps the Evo to 158mm in the rear and last one rode well with a 170mm fork.

An Enduro probably would be more better-er, but don't want carbon. The local bike park is a killer "enduro bike" park. DH bike is overkill and the Evo handled it great.

Status would be good too, but I am a full 29" guy and not mullet.

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 11:28 Quote
Okay nice, the cascade link to make is 158mm is a nice mod.

If you fancy something different, because of the market conditions are so good atm, it might also be worth looking around and seeing what you can get - I can see ~170mm bikes from Trek, Specialized, SC and loads more 30-45% reduced in the UK atm. Megatower could be an option. Previous gen Trek Slash (which was a sick bike). Pivot Firebird could be cool. If you wanted to mix it up.

Posted: Mar 28, 2024 at 1:09 Quote
I'd throw the alu spire in the list. 170/170, 1.5" headtube, dc compatible.

Posted: Mar 28, 2024 at 11:32 Quote
moferenc wrote:

Transition aluminum frames are garbage. Had a 2022 Patrol and it was mass produced crap. I would never touch a Transition again. I know 3 others that had same experience. Axles loosen up no matter how tight. Bolts over torqued and break, shoddy welds, terrible or lack thereof fit and finish.

Posted: Mar 28, 2024 at 11:57 Quote
dchill wrote:
moferenc wrote:

Transition aluminum frames are garbage. Had a 2022 Patrol and it was mass produced crap. I would never touch a Transition again. I know 3 others that had same experience. Axles loosen up no matter how tight. Bolts over torqued and break, shoddy welds, terrible or lack thereof fit and finish.

been riding their alu frames for 3years already. a '19 patrol, now a '21 spire. had an issue with the misaligned lower shockmount that plagued a lot of the frames from that raw batch, transition hq sent me a new front withing 2weeks free of charge(not even shipping). haven't experienced any of these you mention, but i am pretty certain that no manufacturer is safe from qc errors. altho im absolutely sure that when sht hits the fan, transition will have me covered.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.050667
Mobile Version of Website