The 650B movement.

• Previous Page
O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2012 at 17:52 Quote
hey, now that the 29'er revolution is firmly established, at least in the hardtail mtb group, the 650B, aka, 27.5, movement
is underway... in part because it looks like a good compromise size in full suspension and also as many 26 " frames can accomodate the larger wheels, making conversions possible for those inclined.. that would be me..
My SC Blur LT is a listed frame whose measurements may allow the 650B wheel size.. anyone out there done this yet?
Looking for feedback on geometry compromises, fork brand and travel used.. and anything else ?? .. I am hearing Fox and Rockshox may actually be producing a 650B specific fork for 2012 or 13..
so yeah, comments appreciated..
betaflash.

Posted: Feb 9, 2012 at 22:52 Quote
i just read about this. rockshoxs and fox are starting to make a prototype fork but they wont jump on producing the fork.

i think is a good idea for some one who loves 26 but dosnt want want to run 28 or 29. but will it catch on. dos any one even ride a 28 any more. i know my boss just built a prototype 29er frame for his small business but he didnt have 29er.

i will have to look for the article i just read a week ago and post it.

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2012 at 13:30 Quote
You're best place to ask for solid reliable info is the 650B/96er/69er forum on mtbr, as you're just not going to get the best here given the general pinkbike community's disdain for all things bigger than 26 inch wheels. As to your Blur LT, I believe there are several mtbr members riding them as 650Bs.

As to Fox... they have confirmed officially that they are producing a 650 lowers fork next year, around the 34mm stanchion format of the new F29s. Rockshox has shown a Revelation model with 650B lowers for 2013 on their OEM accounts webpage.

Posted: Feb 12, 2012 at 20:28 Quote
For forks available now, X fusion Velvets are an option as well White Brothers. People say you can use a fox, but fox says you can't. The reason being at total bottom out the tire can hit the fork crown, stopping the wheel dead. When the fork is bottomed out, is generally a time you don't want the wheel stopping dead. As for geometry changes, keep in mind that is should not change the angles as the wheels increase in size equally front and back. You will get a higher bottom bracket, so I would lower my stem to help compensate for the increased center of gravity.

As for the industries stance on 650b here is an interesting article. http://bicycling.com/blogs/thestraightdirt/2012/01/26/prepare-for-the-650b-wheel-size-revolution/

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2012 at 23:56 Quote
There have been quite a few 26er forks over the years with clearance to run taller tires. If the fork is rated for a 26 x 2.7 (or more) it will clear a 27.5 x 2.35 tire as well. A Rockshox Psylo (which was rated for 26 x 2.7) makes a great fork for a conversion if you're looking to try the format. You can usually get excellent shape used psylos around $100-200 and they've a useful amount of travel for a trail bike setup.

For forks with brace clearance but lacking crown clearance (such as Fox's), you either need to run a smaller casing tire (like the Pacenti QuasiMoto 2.0s) which as they get thinner also get shorter in casing height or you need to run a bottom out limiter inside the fork to restrict about 10mm off the maximum travel (as X-Fusion does with the Enix, Velour and Velvet models).

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2012 at 18:08 Quote
As I am seeing now, one geometry problem will be BB drop.. most 26 ers have minimal drop from the axle line while the 29 ers seem to be as much as a 2 " drop to compensate for the overall height from ground.. so a 650B conversion, even if wheels fit the frame, the BB drop will not change and might create that higher center of gravity that
the 29 ers try to avoid.. so now I am not so enthusiastic.. probably best to just try a full 29 er... or the proper 27.5 frame..
thanks for all comments.. read the bicycling online article.. thanks for the link.

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2012 at 1:00 Quote
Betaflash

where did you find this list of bikes that may work as a 650b bike?

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2012 at 7:51 Quote
Go to mtbr.com, there is a 650B forum, top two sticky topics are a list of 650B compatible 26er frames and 650B compatible 26" forks.

Posted: Apr 24, 2012 at 17:31 Quote
a 26 inch frame wasn't designed (nor tested)to work with 650b wheels. you will also raise the bb.

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2012 at 17:56 Quote
Yes... that's well established... and yet there are THOUSANDS of owners and in fact bike designers who by experimenting and converting their own bikes to 650B, know that it works. Including leading designers like Scot Nicol (owner of Ibis). Any 26er in fact with tire clearance to take a 26 x 2.7 will take a 27.5 x 2.4 without problem. This btw includes a great number of All-Mtn, Freeride and DH bikes, numerous urban/DJ bikes, and quite a large number of XC bikes.

Posted: Apr 24, 2012 at 21:29 Quote
Some people prefer the ride of a bike with a higher bb. Out here the Blur Carbon's BB is almost to low, throw 650b on and it turns magical.

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2012 at 21:57 Quote
Sea Otter press is full of 650b releases now.. Check out the Intense Tracer 27.5 !!!
It's happening for sure..

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2012 at 7:09 Quote
650B - Bigger wheels with sacrificing geometry.

Anyone who's ridden a 29" and 26" back to back (especially a hard tail) has seen how dramaticly different the two wheel sizes have. I've been lucky enough to ride a 140mm 26" and 120mm 29" back to back, both were XC oriented. One thing that struck me was as the travel increased, the fun factor decreased. Of course "on ground" technical stuff was unchanged, logs, log rides, rocks, roots, etc. but the bike felt glued to the ground. This is both its advantage and disadvantage.

I was able to fling the 26" bike around a little bit more, repositioning it beneath me when required, and in the air I felt more in control of the direction of the bike.

Problem is, I only spend .5% of my riding time actually utilizing that "flickable" trait that the 26' wheel has. The rest of the time I'm trying my damnedest to climb this really technical root covered rock infested trail.

At the end of the day, my riding buddies are beat up. They've hit every jump (and loved it) but they are battered and sore, and I'm ready for more.

I'm hoping the 650b allows me to enjoy those jumps as well as conquering those climbs.

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2012 at 7:52 Quote
Also, I don't get the whole "NO NEW STANDARDS" crap.

Who cares? I ride a 29", 700C, 27" and two 26" bikes.

I'm not swapping wheels between them, and even if I could, I wouldn't want to. Each has a specific tire for the type of riding I do with that bike.

Wheels are of a different realm than components, why? Because you replace tires/wheel well...never. And most of the time you buy a frame based around its wheel size.

I've never heard of someone saying "i was gonna buy this sick carbon fiber road frame for my 26" wheels, but they wouldn't fit! STUPID STANDARDS!" I've never heard of someone saying "I love the Lenz 29" bikes, but they are in 29" wheel size! WTH? Why don't they make a 26" bike?" OH WAIT THEY DO!

And that's what gets me, almost every manufacturer out there makes every bike in soon to be every wheel size.

I only feel bad for the 36" guys...

Posted: Apr 26, 2012 at 8:53 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Also, I don't get the whole "NO NEW STANDARDS" crap.

Who cares? I ride a 29", 700C, 27" and two 26" bikes.

I'm not swapping wheels between them, and even if I could, I wouldn't want to. Each has a specific tire for the type of riding I do with that bike.

Wheels are of a different realm than components, why? Because you replace tires/wheel well...never. And most of the time you buy a frame based around its wheel size.

I've never heard of someone saying "i was gonna buy this sick carbon fiber road frame for my 26" wheels, but they wouldn't fit! STUPID STANDARDS!" I've never heard of someone saying "I love the Lenz 29" bikes, but they are in 29" wheel size! WTH? Why don't they make a 26" bike?" OH WAIT THEY DO!

And that's what gets me, almost every manufacturer out there makes every bike in soon to be every wheel size.

I only feel bad for the 36" guys...

I just feel bad for the 59" wheel guys.
http://ibismaximus.com/

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014168
Mobile Version of Website