Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: May 12, 2021 at 21:19 Quote
mediocrityontwowheels wrote:
I'm looking at some new rims. I'm looking at either a 31mm or 33mm. The weight of a 31mm rim or the width/strength of a 33mm rim? The 31's are 625 grams each and the 33's are 660 grams. Basically the same price too. What do you guys think? I do more flow trails and jumps than tech and I have 2008 demo 7 II with a boxer and 2.6" tires.

It depends what you like for a tire profile. If you want more rounded go with 31. More square get 33. On flow you probably won't notice the difference but it makes a difference in off camber tech.

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
They are the Sun Ringle MTX's. Which provides more traction, the square or round profile?

O+
Posted: May 13, 2021 at 11:48 Quote
They are the Sun Ringle MTX's. Which provides more traction, the square or round profile?

Stay away. I had a set and destroyed them in one season in the park. Both front and back had at least a dozen dents. I was running high psi with 2.6 DH tires (Vittoria Martello). I only weight 150 lbs and at the time I was intermediate. Mostly flow and blue tech.

O+
Posted: May 13, 2021 at 13:58 Quote
Trying to find the girlfriend a full face for dh season. Her road helmet and trail helmet are both Giro and fit well. Any recommendations on helmets that fit like Giro? Trying to see all options as opposed to the Giro Disciple.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 3:45 Quote
I have my first ever DH race this weekend, any tips from more experienced riders? I have 3-4 hours of free practice on Saturday and the race is on Sunday.

O+
Posted: May 14, 2021 at 6:08 Quote
Motofinne wrote:
I have my first ever DH race this weekend, any tips from more experienced riders? I have 3-4 hours of free practice on Saturday and the race is on Sunday.

Take a slow run down and figure out your lines. If you see other people stopped looking at a section then I'd stop too. Look at rock gardens and anything else where you need to be precise with your tires. Look at corners to see how you need to come into them to have the most speed at the exit. Once you do that then do a moderately paced run to tie it all together. Then another if you recognize mistakes and try to correct them. Then do a faster run.

You have to balance doing enough runs to see what sections are like at speed vs wearing yourself out before the race.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 8:15 Quote
Stay away. I had a set and destroyed them in one season in the park. Both front and back had at least a dozen dents. I was running high psi with 2.6 DH tires (Vittoria Martello). I only weight 150 lbs and at the time I was intermediate. Mostly flow and blue tech.[/Quote]

ANything you would recommend then? My budget is about $130 right now.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 8:17 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:

Take a slow run down and figure out your lines. If you see other people stopped looking at a section then I'd stop too. Look at rock gardens and anything else where you need to be precise with your tires. Look at corners to see how you need to come into them to have the most speed at the exit. Once you do that then do a moderately paced run to tie it all together. Then another if you recognize mistakes and try to correct them. Then do a faster run.

You have to balance doing enough runs to see what sections are like at speed vs wearing yourself out before the race.
On my first dh race I did lap after lap on the practice, by the time it came to race I was tired and was making tons of mistakes.

O+
Posted: May 14, 2021 at 9:09 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
BMXJJ327 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:

On my first dh race I did lap after lap on the practice, by the time it came to race I was tired and was making tons of mistakes.

Yep. You have to balance doing enough laps to know the course but not too many to get worn out. Would take your time on one lap. Walk many portions of it. Then do a lap to see how those sections work. If you want to do another lap to do them at speed then do that.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 9:45 Quote
Thanks for the help! The track will be short (not over 2 minutes) so i should be able to put in lots of practice runs without wearing myself down too much, i also race MX so the fitness side shouldn't be my biggest issue.

Is there anything to think about when stopping on the trail and checking out different lines? Like any kind of etiquette regarding this? And same with waiting for a faster rider to drop into the trail and following them?

O+
Posted: May 14, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
Motofinne wrote:
Thanks for the help! The track will be short (not over 2 minutes) so i should be able to put in lots of practice runs without wearing myself down too much, i also race MX so the fitness side shouldn't be my biggest issue.

Is there anything to think about when stopping on the trail and checking out different lines? Like any kind of etiquette regarding this? And same with waiting for a faster rider to drop into the trail and following them?

It varies depending on the track. But the main sections to look at are any large rock gardens, anything with roots that run at an angle on the track, any off camber sections, and corners. Rock gardens will slow you down but if you can find the line that slows you down the least that is the winner. Also think about the line you have to take to get to that sweet spot in the rock garden. Watching for tree roots that aren't perpendicular to the race line are key as they can grab your tire easily. For corners it really is trying to focus on setting up for the corner well before the corner to carry as much speed through it as possible.

If you have any questions on a section stand off to the side and see what others do. See what works and what doesn't.

For etiquette its is just staying off the trail, both you and your bike, if you aren't riding it. It is encouraged to walk along sections and look at them. Definitely no wrongdoing there. Dropping in behind a faster rider can be hit or miss. Some don't care and others are very not about it. Just about everyone there is trying to figure out the best line down the course so if they're trying to figure out the course and you're behind them they will get annoyed because they're having to focus on being in front of you rather than their line choice. I might would avoid doing that and just try and spend a little bit of time trackside to see how riders attack trickier sections.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 10:59 Quote
Motofinne wrote:

Keep in mind the track will change over the course of the day as riders beat the hell out of it so anticipate deeper ruts, braking bumps, churned or blown corners, etc. It depends on how many racers are ahead of you obviously.

O+
Posted: May 14, 2021 at 16:46 Quote
Stay away. I had a set and destroyed them in one season in the park. Both front and back had at least a dozen dents. I was running high psi with 2.6 DH tires (Vittoria Martello). I only weight 150 lbs and at the time I was intermediate. Mostly flow and blue tech.

ANything you would recommend then? My budget is about $130 right now.[/Quote]

I'm not sure what's available for 26 these days. I'd say spank or DT Swiss DH rims should be good. You're other option would be to get the mtx rims but also get tire inserts. I run nukeproof ARD which are cheap and have protected my rims. They aren't available in 26 but you can cut them down and either use glue or zap straps to connect them

O+
Posted: May 14, 2021 at 16:57 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:

I'm not sure what's available for 26 these days. I'd say spank or DT Swiss DH rims should be good. You're other option would be to get the mtx rims but also get tire inserts. I run nukeproof ARD which are cheap and have protected my rims. They aren't available in 26 but you can cut them down and either use glue or zap straps to connect them[/Quote]

A used pair of DT Swiss will fair you better than anything sunringle. Unless you were to go the insert option. I personally really like the cushcore stuff

O+
Posted: May 14, 2021 at 17:14 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

I'm not sure what's available for 26 these days. I'd say spank or DT Swiss DH rims should be good. You're other option would be to get the mtx rims but also get tire inserts. I run nukeproof ARD which are cheap and have protected my rims. They aren't available in 26 but you can cut them down and either use glue or zap straps to connect them

A used pair of DT Swiss will fair you better than anything sunringle. Unless you were to go the insert option. I personally really like the cushcore stuff[/Quote]

I ran an old set of dt Swiss when I had 26. Best rims I've ever had. Even more durable than my new raceface atlas wheels.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.036099
Mobile Version of Website