2010 Reign X Reducer headset

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2010 Reign X Reducer headset
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 6:18 Quote
Ok, so I've done a search but not come up with the answers I need.

I need to replace the headset in my 2008 Giant Reign x2. I've been trying to determine what it takes for a headset. I've tried downloading the owners manual but the link on Giants site won't work. I've tried contacting cane creek but they were no help.
Is it integrated or internal? It has cups that appear to be pressed into the frame which, given what I've read, should make it internal. But yet there appears to be alot of ppl stating its integrated. I've measured the OD of the required bearings at 41 MM. I was going to buy a cane creek IS 3, 41 mm , but I can't seem to find out for 100% sure that it is integrated. Also is it 45/45 or 36/45 ??
I don't know why there has to be 5 different "standards" of headsets. Doesn't seem very "Standard" to me.
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 10:03 Quote
It's a 1 1/8th integrated headset judging by the pics , and i found one mention of it being 1 1/8th integrated on a bike site , there hardly any info out there on it's head set though after 5 mins of searching.
And yeah these multiple standards ( oxymoron ? ) are a fking joke Smile

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 14:00 Quote
bigburd wrote:
It's a 1 1/8th integrated headset
zero stack integrated "with cups"

i have heard several complaints about those headsets, i believe the standard was caged ball bearings. my suggestion would be to find yourself a sealed bearing type headset. a little more expensive but far superior bearings for high load applications.

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 14:18 Quote
yeah stock was caged ball bearings. I'm trying to replace it with a sealed cartridge version. So what is the difference between integrated and zero stack?
Thanks,

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 14:38 Quote
Its just a standard integrated headset, i think its a 44mm ID

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 14:42 Quote
I need 41mm od bearings, and it seems like every zero stack i see is 44od. So i don;t think it takes a zero stack headset. Unless the cups that are pressed into my headset are meant to be removed, but I'm pretty sure they are not.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 18:15 Quote
integrated headsets have no bearing cups, the bearing rests inside the head tube on a channel made from the head tube to accept the bearing (think weight weenie)

an internal headset or zero stack, has cups for the bearing to ride in or to sit on, the head tube is not designed for the bearing to sit directly on it.

the cups for the caged bearings will have to come out in order to put in the cup to accommodate the sealed bearing, they have different profiles. the profiles are the degree of the angle that the bearings have. that is the 36* and the 45* increments you are seeing.

your frame is not an interference head tube that i know of, so to worry about the 36 or 45 is of no concern, only because you are replacing the cups as well... if you were only replacing the cartridge bearing, you would need the correct degree of angle.

The OD measurement you need to take is the OD of the cups ... or in reality ... the ID of your head tube.

I cant say what size you need for sure with out measuring. I can say, the headset cups will have to come out to upgrade, and they should come out to replace, if you are having headset issues.
At that time i would measure the headset ID.

hope this helps a little

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 at 3:01 Quote
yeah thats great, thanks. I was under the impression the cups shouldn't be removed, but that clears that up.

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 at 11:17 Quote
Instead of starting a new thread, thought I'd just continue with this one.
I have a 2010 Giant Reign X2 that I want to run a straight steer tube in. This frame had a tapered head tube. I want to buy a reducer headset (just the bottom assembly if posible) to allow me to run the 1-1/8" straight steerer.
I've read alot of threads on this but none that actually contain information on what product i need. From what I can tell Giant did not use the standard 49 mm id on the 1.5" tapered portion on these frames, but a 55.95 mm.
does anyone know what exact reducer headset I need? Links to the product maybe?
My LBS isn't much help and I'm finding no definitive answers on the forums.
Help would be much appreciated.
thanks,

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 at 19:37 Quote
http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG240

Have a look

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 at 3:51 Quote
thanks, thats great... I had emailed cane creek and FSA but didn't think of hope.

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 at 7:51 Quote
Can anyone confirm that this head set is in fact 55.95 mm ? I had only found that piece of info on another forum and I'd like to make sure. You would think Giant would provide this info, but I can't seem to track it down anywhere.
thanks,

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012535
Mobile Version of Website