Chain tension problem?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Chain tension problem?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 21, 2012 at 11:23 Quote
hello pretty new here still setting up!!Rolleyes

Recently ( 2 months) bought a scott voltage yz 0.3n and I am having trouble with the tension of the chain!!!Really Mad

I am running 28:12 single speed with horizontal drop outs

Really doing every thing in my power as a simple mechanic to tighten those bolts but, keeps slipping!!
have had to change the bolts and washers once!!

Can't remove a link not enough chain so i asked some buddys into bmx they said chain tensioners....had a look seems legit but having trouble finding a pair that wont fubar my frame

I have an aluminium frame is this safe for the frame? wont the screw just eat the drop out??
or maybe get a half link.... for the chain ?

all ideas are welcome just need to fix this cos every now and again i have to stop and get out the tools to reset the wheel !!! pain in the ***
*and there isn't a derailler hanger so that kind of tensioner is out of question unless there is some kind of addapter

Posted: Mar 21, 2012 at 11:28 Quote
Im new here but i will say this happens with my new dmr reptoid

what i've done to fix the problem was to remove one of the chain tensioners, so one side has a tensioner and one side dosen't.

Hmm bad idea rode for a small amount of time and noticed a slip

Posted: Mar 21, 2012 at 14:41 Quote
exactly the same problem kind of frustrating

Posted: Mar 23, 2012 at 13:19 Quote
guess will just have to keep resetting the wheel on the Roahd!!! lame but manageable, just need perfect tools....so no slip...$$$....damn....

Posted: Mar 23, 2012 at 16:14 Quote
Vertical dropouts right? 2 tensioners, job done

Posted: Mar 23, 2012 at 16:35 Quote
Try just really cranking on the bolts, assuming they're 15mm most pedal wrenches work to help you get that extra leverage. Another thing you might want to do is check if you're wheel is actually straight in the dropouts, if it's not the bolts often loosen. Finally, I've found that you want to pull the drive side all the way back and tighten it, then do the non drive side and do any straightening on that side

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 at 11:32 Quote
thanks for advice will try the chain tension-er...when my bike is ride-able again.... landed heavy on seat....broke...Dead Horse and slighly bent handle bars....but methinks the chain tensioners will work....just hope they dont eat my alu. frame....

Posted: Mar 25, 2012 at 3:25 Quote
Try these. They shouldn't damage your frame at all

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34985

James-Carey wrote:
Vertical dropouts right? 2 tensioners, job done
Horizontal. You only use the 1 tensioner on vertical like the DMR STS right?

Posted: Mar 29, 2012 at 11:23 Quote
Cheers paul175 !!! these i didnt think existed i though they only came in 14mm!!!
yay!!
*Salute

Posted: Apr 15, 2012 at 21:28 Quote
EZ-Ridez wrote:
hello pretty new here still setting up!!Rolleyes

Recently ( 2 months) bought a scott voltage yz 0.3n and I am having trouble with the tension of the chain!!!Really Mad

I am running 28:12 single speed with horizontal drop outs

Really doing every thing in my power as a simple mechanic to tighten those bolts but, keeps slipping!!
have had to change the bolts and washers once!!

Can't remove a link not enough chain so i asked some buddys into bmx they said chain tensioners....had a look seems legit but having trouble finding a pair that wont fubar my frame

I have an aluminium frame is this safe for the frame? wont the screw just eat the drop out??
or maybe get a half link.... for the chain ?

all ideas are welcome just need to fix this cos every now and again i have to stop and get out the tools to reset the wheel !!! pain in the ***
*and there isn't a derailler hanger so that kind of tensioner is out of question unless there is some kind of addapter
happened to me just put gears on the back and shit hte gear up?down until it fits and is tight

Posted: Apr 15, 2012 at 21:40 Quote
amateurbiker73 wrote:
happened to me just put gears on the back and shit hte gear up?down until it fits and is tight

You bumped an already resolved thread from 1/2 a month ago Rolleyes

I suppose its alright compared to people that bump threads from 3 years ago just to answer the original question lol

Edit: What are you even going on about? He has SS.. and what does "shit hte gear up?down" mean? Confused

Posted: Apr 15, 2012 at 21:41 Quote
Isaakk wrote:
amateurbiker73 wrote:

You bumped an already resolved thread from 1/2 a month ago Rolleyes

I suppose its alright compared to people that bump threads from 3 years ago just to answer the original question lol
srry was just trying to help and didnt take the time to look through

Posted: May 7, 2012 at 9:48 Quote
i had the same problem all you need is a half link chain and it will be fixed because you can take ever link out ruther that 1 and a half Smile

Posted: May 7, 2012 at 11:19 Quote
i fixed the problem by getting a decent spanner and owning the bolts so it physically cant move

Posted: May 8, 2012 at 18:12 Quote
MadPotato wrote:
i fixed the problem by getting a decent spanner and owning the bolts so it physically cant move

You'll toast the axle threads and damage the drop outs as well.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014975
Mobile Version of Website