Powered by Outside

Remedy VS. Reign

• Previous Page
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 at 22:55 Quote
like it says, which is better? roughly same price for the remedy 7 as for the reign 2 and about the same build.

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 at 23:58 Quote
Both are nice, but I'd have to urge you to look at the Reign 1 instead. For a few hundred more then the Remedy you will get a much better build, a dropper post and it doesn't need a proprietary fork/shock. Swap out the dropper post for a regular post and you might save a couple hundred too.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_us/bikes/models/images/2000/2012/Reign_1.jpg

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 at 8:14 Quote
do you think the rockshox suspension is a better choice over the fox?

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 at 9:52 Quote
I'd go remedy. The suspension on it is great.

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 at 10:32 Quote
yeah, i guess i was asking more about the frames rather than the build kits. I like the looks of the remedy better but i like the maestro suspension (i used to own a 2007 reign x1) but ive never tried the remedy full floater. i know its essentially a single pivot but i've heard its still a champ on the trails.

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 at 15:22 Quote
willems wrote:
do you think the rockshox suspension is a better choice over the fox?

I think the fork is just as good as any oem Fox fork. Not sure about the Monarch. I have read mixed reviews on that one and I've never had an opportunity to try one out.

Posted: Mar 29, 2012 at 8:04 Quote
I would also like to know which one is preferred. I am looking at both bikes. Would u rather take a remedy 8 over a reign 1?

Posted: Mar 29, 2012 at 11:51 Quote
JOKERXIII wrote:
I would also like to know which one is preferred. I am looking at both bikes. Would u rather take a remedy 8 over a reign 1?

That one is tough to decide, I would have to take the Remedy 8 for a good demo ride to know for sure. I'm already very familiar with Giant and the Maestro design and the fact it works so well without the need of proprietary suspension components and at a lower price, makes it a hard bike to beat. The only reason you don't see any Giant bicycles in my profile is because they don't have a 29er I like and the STP isn't available as a frame only option here in Canada.

Posted: Mar 30, 2012 at 7:55 Quote
Well that makes sense then. The only bad thing for me is I am not available to demo either at the moment cause there r no shops around that have the remedy in the shop. I also don't know where the nearest giant shop is. I will b moving to CO in the next couple weeks so Im gonna need to find them soon.

Posted: Mar 30, 2012 at 9:19 Quote
i would go giant so you can hi-5 everyone else you pass on the trails in Team Giant

my question for Trek folks is whats involved to remove / replace the rear wheel? if i recall correctly its not really QR as you have to remove the skewer not just loosen it off. And can you run a 12x142mm? I think you can but iā€™m not sure...

the mastro design was a pioneering innovation in suspension and you see other short duel-link designs setting a new standard, DW, VVP, Felt's equal-link (??), etc

trecks design is still essentially a single pivot ā€“ the rear wheel rotates around a single fixed point on the bikes frame. With Mastro on the other hand the wheel moves around a point in space and actually moves as you cycle thru the travel ā€“ this allows the designers manipulate the wheels travel path to deal with impacts and pedal forces.

FL
Posted: Mar 31, 2012 at 13:44 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/248885/

our bikes in this are very similar to the reign ! have a watch

Posted: Mar 31, 2012 at 14:19 Quote
i converted my trek remedy 8 rear end to a 142x12 from a 10x135. you need a skewer thats long enough for the ABP pivot. removal of the rear wheel is not any harder than any other and i think putting it back on is even easier.

Posted: Mar 31, 2012 at 20:00 Quote
Go Giant!
I work for a Giant shop and I also own a 2011 Reign 2. I'd recommend the Reign 2 if your the type of person who'd like to use the bike for a bit in it's stock configuration and then start swapping out parts you's like. I can tell you that one of the main reasons I choose the 2 was mainly because of this. The Fox suspension is nice, but I'm upgrading the fork because I notice that there's too much flex in it. I wouldn't say it's a flaw, but it's noticeable when riding really gnarly stuff.
The Maestro linkage works fantastically and most noticeably in washed out or washboarded berms from what I've noticed. It also remains completely active under heavy braking and pedal bob is virtually non existent on it as well.
Over all, the bike climbs like a dream and coming back down is even more fun. It handles everything very well.
With Giant, your always gonna get more for your money.

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2012 at 20:15 Quote
I have owned both a Remedy and am currently riding a reign. Both bikes had the exact same build and I prefer the reign over the remedy.

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 at 6:26 Quote
I was struggling with the same dilemma a few months ago. I got very lucky and found a 2011 leftover at a shop known for its deals. I ended up with an '11 Reign 0 for less than either of the builds you are deciding between. I also own a Trance so I have experience with the Maestro suspension but I would have taken a chance on the Trek if the same deal came up on a Remedy 8. I don't have anything against Rock Shox or SRAM but I have had great experiences with Fox and Shimano so I was happy to have the '0' build. I really wanted to try the DRCV fork on the Trek though so the '8' might be worth the upgrade.
Anyway, good luck with your decision, I'm sure you'll be happy with either.
Shameless bike photo:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Kewicer/Mountain%20Bike/IMG_0047c.jpg

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012713
Mobile Version of Website