Giant Reign vs Reign x

• Previous Page
Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 15:09 Quote
Hey guys, I'm looking to get either a giant reign or reign x. Not sure which one. Any advice? I don't ride mainly DH but would love to get more into it,, but for the next two years or so where I am (western NC) the DH is nothing too outrageous so I'm not sure if the burlier reign x would be worth it. Or would it? Let the battle begin. Also, as this would be my first giant, which size do you think would fit me? I'm just barely at 5'11'' weighing in at 165lbs with a 31/32 leg inseam so kind of right in between the M and L I'd say. Thanks for all the advice guys!

I'm also looking at an 09 Scott genius 50, and a '10 GT force 2 but I'm not sure if how great they are compared to the reign(x) models going dh. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 16:49 Quote
Reign x all the way! you will not need to upgrade anything or wonder what if you had one. You hear of so many people buying a bike based on cost and then wanting to upgrade this that etc which ends up costing waaay more.
Been shredding mine for over 2000km and it rips.

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 16:55 Quote
I'm 5'11" 175lbs 32" inseam and ride a 2010 Reign X in medium. Fits me perfectly. I also have a friend on a 2010 Reign who is almost the same size as I am and he rides a medium as well. I certainly wouldn't want a large.

I can climb just as well as my friend on the regular reign, but my bike is a lot more confident on the return trip. However, a lot of this difference between bikes comes down to the fork on the Reign being fairly flimsy.

If you are mainly planning on riding gnarly terrain, get the Reign X. But if you want to ride a bit of DH and mostly use your new bike for trail riding, I would recommend the Reign. I ride use my X for everything and love it, but I do a lot of technical AM and shuttling.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2012 at 16:48 Quote
reign-man wrote:
I

If you are mainly planning on riding gnarly terrain, get the Reign X. But if you want to ride a bit of DH and mostly use your new bike for trail riding, I would recommend the Reign. I ride use my X for everything and love it, but I do a lot of technical AM and shuttling.
Reverse that. The Reign X has more travel, comes with a coil shock and is generally more burly. It tends to weigh more. To say it another way, the Reign X would be more suitable for DH-ish stuff, shuttling and gnar AM riding.

Posted: Apr 12, 2012 at 17:27 Quote
Reign X all the way, had mine about a year and can't really fault it in anyway, climbs well(even better when i'm fitter) and descends brilliantly, seems like a pretty good do it all bike to me, and i've still to take it to it's limits! Still enjoying every ride on it though!

Posted: Apr 13, 2012 at 2:47 Quote
Thanks for the replies guys, it helps tremendously.
The rides in my area are more geared towards all trail riding but i would love to get more into dh riding. I just need to make sure that the reign x can get me up the mountain in the first place. Im a strong climber but dont want to feel like all of my energy will be zapped on the ride up. It sounds like you guys are in favor of the x models. What kind of riding do you all typically do? Because im not going to Whistler or other double diamond dh trails anytime soon for dh riding but i want something that is capable of that but can get you up the mountain as well. Any other bikes out there you would recommend? Also, Reign-man, the label on the giant bikes say L for 5'10" to six something. I cant test anything right now because im travelling for a bit using this overly complicated phone and i have no where to test anything. What do you guys think? Because im seriously looking into a $1300 09 reign x1 and want all the opinions i can get before i drop any serious cash.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2012 at 3:59 Quote
If your iffy between sizes I would for sure test ride both sizes. I am a little over 5'10" and ride a Large reign, was riding a medium Remedy. The large feels much better. If your looking to focus more on the down than ups go for the reign X. Although I find my reign with a lyrik and wide bars still does an ample job on the descents. You could also look at the Pivot firebird, commencal Meta AM, and other similar bikes. Maybe the new trek slash if you want a really burly AM/DH bike.

Posted: Apr 16, 2012 at 0:34 Quote
I have a reign x 2008 in medium and am 6 foot 1 it goes well but I like a smallish frame, I ride. XC on it up to 80 km at a time and keep up with the weight weenies alright. I'd suggest a X.

Posted: Apr 16, 2012 at 15:36 Quote
TyranT21 wrote:
I have a reign x 2008 in medium and am 6 foot 1 it goes well but I like a smallish frame, I ride. XC on it up to 80 km at a time and keep up with the weight weenies alright. I'd suggest a X.

oh damn, man, that's a lot of mileage. Alright, I think I'm gonna go with a reign x1 L. I tried out a M today and it seemed a bit small especially the max seat height.

Thanks for everyone's posts, I appreciate the help. I'll make sure to let you know if I've got any other questions

Posted: Jan 10, 2013 at 7:35 Quote
Im in a similar boat, so finding this thread comes at a good time. I've been riding a Giant Trance X4 for the past two years and the bike is awesome. I started doing some xc racing (single laps) and I've been winning a bit. I'm not a great climber ( nothing really to do with the bike) buti do pass everyone on the down sections cause I find em fun. I think true xc guys thrive on the climbs but might be a little timid on the downhill parts. I bomb em. Anyway. I'm looking at the 2013 Reign x to replace the Trance, but would still like to race and be competitive. Not sure of the weight difference between the bikes but clearly the reign wins on the decents. but I need it to climb well so I can keep up with the pack. I'm 5'7" riding the medium trance, buti think ican drop to a small probably.

Thoughts?

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 3:03 Quote
I must start by saying i have never owned a downhill bike, although i have ridden friends on many occasions. With that in mind i must say that last week a bought a 2013 Reign 1 and i love it. The CTD suspension mean that you can run your suspension a little softer than you normally would which makes it perfect for the downhill sections, then simply flick it over to trail or climb mode, hit the dropper leaver and you could ride up a vertical cliff. After a week and a half of predominately downhill riding I wouldn't look twice at thew reign 1 over the reign x, havent had any problems plowing through the travel or bottoming out, and they bike practically throws itself down the trail.

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 13:16 Quote
I had a Reign X with a Fox DHX 5.0 Air in the rear and a Fox Float 36 160mm in the front.
When you get the DHX Air dialed-in, the bike will climb like a mountain goat and the DH is amazing.
Sounds like you will enjoy the Reign X more and since it sound like you do some XC/AM get an air shock w piggy-back like the DHX Air or Manitou Swinger 4 way Air and then get it dialed-in.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 22:13 Quote
I love my X1. I use it for everything from light DH to aggressive AM. I had the opportunity to race it in a few enduro's last year and it really shines in that setting. The only thing I can fault the bike for is the Overdrive 2 head tube size on the fork. I'd like to have the ability to run an aftermarket stem and even the ability to upgrade my fork to 180mm if I felt the need. But I doubt anyone is going to purchase my fork with the proprietary sizing. Something to consider but otherwise a great bike.

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 4:09 Quote
I understand that the differece is beetwen the specification, but is any difference in the Reign frame and Reign X frame ??

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 8:51 Quote
I would go for the Reign X. I have owned two Reign X2's and one Reign. I can't fault the normal reign, it was a great bike. When I switched from normal Reign to the X, the only concern I had was it would feel like a freeride or downhill bike and be hard to pedal around. For the amount of travel, the X's pedal amazingly well, and when it comes time to go down, you'll love the X. I use mine for everything, xc, aggresive single track,trail, bike parks ... it eats it all without any trouble. The reg was ok at the park and DH but the X gives that much more confidence. If you put a fork on it that has either lock out or a good compression adjustment it will help alot with the climbs ect.
I have a RS domain coil, 7" travel on the front of my 2010 ReignX and the compression adjust is awesome for the climbs. I plan to put a DHX 5.0 on the rear for a bit more adjustability(lock out). Even now tho, its a 7" travel trail bike that can do it all!!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012951
Mobile Version of Website