Checks on a second hand bike

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Checks on a second hand bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2012 at 3:14 Quote
going to look at a 2011 commencal supreme 6 tomorrow with the view of buying it.
what are the main things i should check?
iv got the same brake set up on my bike so i know how they should work/feel
whats the best way to check bearings and forks/shocks?
thanks,matt

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 at 5:03 Quote
Have a ride about to check for play, rattles or funny noises and have a good check over the frame for dents or cracks

Shocks, wipe the sanctions and then compress the shock and check for oil leaks, test adjustment knobs to make sure they work properly

Just common sense stuff really dude Smile

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2012 at 5:24 Quote
On the commencal's check all the welds for cracked paint or signs of distressed paint. Commencal's, specially earlier models are very prone to this, specially around the shock linkages.
In general check for play and spoke tension. Also a good thing is to check the screws heads. If they are worn or the allen key doesn't fit properly it's a sign the owner didn't care much or that it was over tightened or can't be unscrewed. While checking screw heads also compare screws to see if they are all the same/originals.
Good luck!

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 at 9:13 Quote
Like other people have said buddy mostly common sense really.
Also this may sound obvious but if it is dirty it is harder to check a bike over as mud
can cover cracks and what not.
Make sure all the adjustments work on the shock and forks.
Look for rings of oil around the shock shaft and fork stanchions.
Check around head tube and welds for cracks.
Make sure the head set has no play in it.
Have a ride of if and make sure the gears don't slip as that means it will need a new cassette and chain.
Bearings in the frame are pretty hard to check on a built up bike as they could feel fine but when stripped down
they could feel gritty and rough.

Posted: Apr 20, 2012 at 9:39 Quote
Being a commencal have a REALLY good look for cracks , mine cracked allover the place , check every single weld on both sides

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009746
Mobile Version of Website