Kona Hater?

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Hater?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 14, 2012 at 13:47 Quote
Just curious... Why are there so many of them out there? I happen to love the Kona brand. Been riding them since 2001. And now that I have an Operator, I'm loving them even more. I'm an absolute rookie to the freeride/downhill scene and this bike just pops!

FL
Posted: May 14, 2012 at 14:06 Quote
vi5a wrote:
Just curious... Why are there so many of them out there? I happen to love the Kona brand. Been riding them since 2001. And now that I have an Operator, I'm loving them even more. I'm an absolute rookie to the freeride/downhill scene and this bike just pops!

Who knows man? I just got a 2011 Operator to replace a bike that was stolen. Im on a teachers' salary budget, so that helped me make the decision on the Operator. I have made a few upgrades and changes and am pretty happy with it so far. My saddle time is pretty limited. Definitely one of the longer wheelbase bikes I have ever ridden, but the cockpit is about the same length as my trailbike. I feel very centered on the Operator. I rode a Stab way back in the day as a loaner before I got my first "big" bike, and have spent some time aboard the Cadabra with the magic link. I've never had any issues or problems with Kona. It's hard to say why there are so many haters.

Posted: May 14, 2012 at 19:29 Quote
I think people remember the era of the Stinky...a big burly drop anything bike that handled like...a big burly drop anything bike.

I do think Kona shot themselves in the foot with the DOPE system, hell..their website still touts its merits even tho the Operator's moved beyond it. The marketing behind that was silly.

I think people remember those two things and have a negative association with the name. I also think people would be pleasently surprised to try out an Operator and see that it's not their big brother's Stinky.

Kona needs to buy a Sam Hill and your concerns would be alleviated Smile

Posted: May 14, 2012 at 19:44 Quote
Mainly because there's a lot of broken Konas and that they aren't exactly as innovative as most other companies.

For me I find Kona makes probably the easiest fully to ever hop onto and just go without getting used to it first.... and that's about it. I just feel like I'm getting more when I buy from other companies.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2012 at 12:18 Quote
i think its because there are a ton of broken kona's out there.

Do the math. Kona sells a hell of alot more bikes the anyone else ( maybe tied with norco)

more bikes on the trail, more broken bikes.
I bet the percentage of broken bikes are similar to those of any other company.

FL
Posted: May 18, 2012 at 9:16 Quote
Over here in the UK I reckon it was the importers that did them no favours selling them in the wrong stores. I wanted a Kona since way back in 92 a friend got a cindercone that would still be sweet today, got a Dawg now and yeah the suspension is abit old school but I've had a lot of good times on that bike in a lot of places.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2012 at 9:17 Quote
konabigshed wrote:
Over here in the UK I reckon it was the importers that did them no favours selling them in the wrong stores. I wanted a Kona since way back in 92 a friend got a cindercone that would still be sweet today, got a Dawg now and yeah the suspension is abit old school but I've had a lot of good times on that bike in a lot of places.

the suspension may be old school, but it sure doesn't take a engineer degree to do any work on them.

FL
Posted: May 18, 2012 at 9:27 Quote
Too right, it's simple and reliable. When it's time for a change I'm probably going for another Kona. When your over in Europe riding the Alps it's Kona bike parks your in not other brands and I like that.

Posted: May 18, 2012 at 9:34 Quote
da pink machine

photo

I love kona's ! my friends own/owned them and they ride great ! Plus the customisations options are awsome and nice ones can be built easy.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011151
Mobile Version of Website