DH bike recommedations for a 6'5" rider...xl frames? 8+ inches....

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH bike recommedations for a 6'5" rider...xl frames? 8+ inches....
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 3, 2012 at 17:41 Quote
Looking for advice on large to xl DH bike for a 6'5" 215 lb rider....manufacturers? would like 8 or more inches of travel....
any suggestions?

Posted: Jun 3, 2012 at 23:59 Quote
That's messed up man. Anyone can ride dh. Lol. Steve Peat's like 6'4" or something. OP, try looking at an XL Santa Cruz V10.

Posted: Jun 4, 2012 at 6:34 Quote
Wow our first poster is a smart one... Geo is key for us big guys and wheelbase is a good first place to look. Without that you will not feel stable especially at speed, and your going to want that. So 47.5 + in and up is a good start personally the longer the better.
Some bikes: xl turner dhr, xl devinci Wilson,xl Santa Cruz v10, xl Canfield Jedi, large banshee legend, maybe a large demo 8, and an xl trek session. Check these sizing and sit on a few and see what works for you

Posted: Jun 4, 2012 at 9:27 Quote
My xl Supreme Dh v2 fits me perfectly at 6'2. Top tube is very long.

Posted: Jun 4, 2012 at 20:45 Quote
Word. Thanks for the advice!

Posted: Jun 4, 2012 at 21:07 Quote
Ignore CaarsoN, if you look at his profile you can see he's like 12.

As for frame sizing, I would imagine you'd be fine on most large frames. I'm 6'3" and my large glory feels a tad long. Demos also run pretty big, but I think you would be fine on most large frames (or extra large if the brand makes it)

As for specific models, there are so many to choose from and so many different riding styles that you really just need to try some out and see what suits you.

Posted: Jun 4, 2012 at 21:26 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Ignore CaarsoN, if you look at his profile you can see he's like 12.

As for frame sizing, I would imagine you'd be fine on most large frames. I'm 6'3" and my large glory feels a tad long. Demos also run pretty big, but I think you would be fine on most large frames (or extra large if the brand makes it)

As for specific models, there are so many to choose from and so many different riding styles that you really just need to try some out and see what suits you.

About the glory's I am 6'2'' and the top tube felt waaaayyy long! It was crazy!

Posted: Jun 5, 2012 at 2:12 Quote
CaarsoN wrote:
defintely dont get into downhill, its more of a small persons sport. Troy bronsnan for example.

I'll tell steve peat , minnar and Gee to find another job then

Posted: Jun 5, 2012 at 9:24 Quote
Hello, I am 6.3 ft and ride a Large Rotec RL9 which is very long and comfortable also for people taller than me.
I am selling it if it can be interesting to You... : )

Posted: Jun 5, 2012 at 9:54 Quote
It's hard to gauge sizing right, almost every manufacturer sizes bikes different. I was on a medium Reign X for a long time at 6'1" and the thing was perfect maybe a tad on the long side, so when I went and bought a downhill bike I got a medium Sunday, and man was that thing tiny.. I hit my knees on just about every piece of the cockpit. Yeah sizing is different between DH bikes and XC bikes, but it's still worth a look to take one out for a test ride and then go from there. Once you know what fits and what you feel comfortable on, it'll be easier to look for measurements and compare and contrast

Posted: Jun 5, 2012 at 10:15 Quote
if your actually 6ft5 i would still highly recommend xl frames! but if your more like 6ft3 in socks than a large MIGHT work. Especially if you like small cockpits, which people do, as long as it has the wheelbase. Dont make the mistakes I keep making,and keep getting large frames, they f*ckin hurt your back and are uncomfortable.This leads to lack of comfort and that is guaranteed to negatively effect your riding. And im only 6ft4 in socks but a pretty huge frame at 240 lbs so you still have an inch on me but probably not as broad but all limbs, so youll want that long reach. Moral of the story get an xl or the two larges i posted earlier

Posted: Jun 5, 2012 at 10:23 Quote
snyda wrote:
if your actually 6ft5 i would still highly recommend xl frames! but if your more like 6ft3 in socks than a large MIGHT work. Especially if you like small cockpits, which people do, as long as it has the wheelbase. Dont make the mistakes I keep making,and keep getting large frames, they f*ckin hurt your back and are uncomfortable.This leads to lack of comfort and that is guaranteed to negatively effect your riding. And im only 6ft4 in socks but a pretty huge frame at 240 lbs so you still have an inch on me but probably not as broad but all limbs, so youll want that long reach. Moral of the story get an xl or the two larges i posted earlier
It all depends on the brand, some brands only go up to a large. And their sizes are usually bigger because of it. The glory or demo for example.

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 13:20 Quote
I am 6ft 5 and use a large transition TR450 and it fits me PERFECTLY

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 15:01 Quote
Dude, don't listen to all that bullsh*t of too tall riders. Total nonsense. I'm 6'6'', I ride and I'm having all the fun as all short dudes. One is clear, over rough stuff you'll have extra 40cm suspension in your legs Wink
I would suggest you Commencal DH v3 size Large. I searched for long long time for large enough bike, that wouldn't suffer on handling. DH v3 is exactly that, it's low put super long and slack, therefore you'll have all the stability needed yet space to move around. Only bike that I felt as long but it bit taller is Santa Cruz V10 XL.
What is your budget?

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 15:08 Quote
Just to let you know about the Demo 8. The standing position on Large frame is good, but the saddle is more forward, and with knee pads you might hit bars. Not a real issue on true downhill track, as it's not that likely you'll sit down Razz but just letting you know, as it was a reason I crossed out Demo 8.

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014241
Mobile Version of Website