DH bike recommedations for a 6'5" rider...xl frames? 8+ inches....

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH bike recommedations for a 6'5" rider...xl frames? 8+ inches....
Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 15:25 Quote
I'm 6' 4.5" and I ride a 2012 large Glory and a 2011 XL SC v10c. The Glory is a touch small. The v10 is perfect.

From what I have learned do not look at the top tube for sizing. The only thing that matters is the length of the down tube for a dh bike.

The theory of having a smaller bike so you can toss it around is dumb. The correct size for you is ideal.

IMO go for the larger size and put the smallest reach stem possible. I think straitline makes a 28mm or something.

Dude if you're on a budget and don't care about weight try to find a nice used 2008 large session 10. Most bullet proof bike and the large is freakin huge and it has 9.5" of rear travel.

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 15:41 Quote
judgerider348 wrote:
I'm 6' 4.5" and I ride a 2012 large Glory and a 2011 XL SC v10c. The Glory is a touch small. The v10 is perfect.

From what I have learned do not look at the top tube for sizing. The only thing that matters is the length of the down tube for a dh bike.

The theory of having a smaller bike so you can toss it around is dumb. The correct size for you is ideal.

IMO go for the larger size and put the smallest reach stem possible. I think straitline makes a 28mm or something.

Dude if you're on a budget and don't care about weight try to find a nice used 2008 large session 10. Most bullet proof bike and the large is freakin huge and it has 9.5" of rear travel.
elaborate...

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 22:28 Quote
Basically if you are on the fence about a certain size like a medium or large go large.

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 23:10 Quote
judgerider348 wrote:
Basically if you are on the fence about a certain size like a medium or large go large.
I disagree, I think it's personal preference.

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 at 10:27 Quote
Nobble wrote:
judgerider348 wrote:
RADICAL STORY BRO!
If this dude knew what his personal preference was he wouldnt be posting a forum on pinkbike smart one, and not having the feeling that your going to endo constantly/having a backache is way better than having a bike be a little too long which at 6ft5 isnt going to happen. You can have smaller cockpits as long as the wheelbase is long enough and then you can have bigger cockpits, like the glory and my musashi, but have the geo feel a little too small.

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 at 14:21 Quote
snyda wrote:
Nobble wrote:
judgerider348 wrote:
RADICAL STORY BRO!
If this dude knew what his personal preference was he wouldnt be posting a forum on pinkbike smart one, and not having the feeling that your going to endo constantly/having a backache is way better than having a bike be a little too long which at 6ft5 isnt going to happen. You can have smaller cockpits as long as the wheelbase is long enough and then you can have bigger cockpits, like the glory and my musashi, but have the geo feel a little too small.
who took the jam out your doughnut?

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 at 22:22 Quote
Am a true 6'5" but with longer limbs as opposed to thicker build so appreciate the different opinions. Would love a new, top of the line bike, but if I can find a more affordable option as DH will prob be second tier to the climbing and AM riding already happening...it would be ideal. Thus, the advice and suggestions have been very helpful.

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2012 at 22:42 Quote
If you can find a dealer check out the Norco Aurum, im 6'4 and fine on a Lg frame, only difference is adding an extra spacer under the fork crown as the HT is little low.

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 at 23:09 Quote
I'm 6'5" and I've been riding a small Santa Cruz VP-Free for 3 years now, it doesn't feel too small, it just doesn't feel like a boat like a couple bikes I've tried out. That being said I think I'm going to replace it with a large Nomad soon, not extra large though as I don't want the seat too high on descents.

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 at 10:02 Quote
im tellin you only go for xl's man, theres a reason that companies make bikes in xls and not just larges anymore. There was a demand for us big guys and now we have a decent supply to meet OUR needs, basic capitalism. If your 6ft5 and ride a small vp free and say it doesnt feel to small then your fuggin high/dont know what your talking about, and you lose all your credibility in the conversation, Shoo. Checked the Aurumn geo and it could maybe be borderline for you, the wheelbase is 47.4 in, so that could be a little small. If your slow then itll probably feel good, have fun feeling sketchy at speed with your upper body pushed up towards the fork feeling like you going to endo. Because, you know, thats how you want to feel when your actually pinned Facepalm

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 at 10:22 Quote
snyda wrote:
im tellin you only go for xl's man, theres a reason that companies make bikes in xls and not just larges anymore. There was a demand for us big guys and now we have a decent supply to meet OUR needs, basic capitalism. If your 6ft5 and ride a small vp free and say it doesnt feel to small then your fuggin high/dont know what your talking about, and you lose all your credibility in the conversation, Shoo. Checked the Aurumn geo and it could maybe be borderline for you, the wheelbase is 47.4 in, so that could be a little small. If your slow then itll probably feel good, have fun feeling sketchy at speed with your upper body pushed up towards the fork feeling like you going to endo. Because, you know, thats how you want to feel when your actually pinned Facepalm
even the small VP-Free is pretty big as far as frames go, with a 22 inch top tube it's the longest bike I've owned (longer than my medium RM-7) I do believe now that it is time for a new bike and that's why I'm going for a Nomad, I want a bike that can do everything and I don't want to spend a ton of money getting multiple bikes (one for each use and such) I enjoy the descent and that's why I'm getting a large instead of an xl, I want the ability to pedal up but I won't be doing it most of the time

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 at 10:43 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
snyda wrote:
even the small VP-Free is pretty big as far as frames go, with a 22 inch top tube it's the longest bike I've owned (longer than my medium RM-7) I do believe now that it is time for a new bike and that's why I'm going for a Nomad, I want a bike that can do everything and I don't want to spend a ton of money getting multiple bikes (one for each use and such) I enjoy the descent and that's why I'm getting a large instead of an xl, I want the ability to pedal up but I won't be doing it most of the time
your high and digging yourself deeper in a hole of talking out your ass, you say you want to enjoy the descents but your getting a bike with a smaller cockpit and shorter wheelbase/geo. Weird, I guess you like feeling unstable and sketchy on downhills? Theres a reason Santa cruz has SIZING CHARTS. If they thought someone at 6ft5 would be matched well with a large they would have put it there, but dont worry you probably know more than mechanical engineers and people with, more than likely put together, 100+ years of biking experience. Go buy that large with your knowledge it will probably feel like a cruise ship!!!! not just a boat!

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 at 10:52 Quote
Snyda, stop being a douche. If the guy wants to ride a large he'll ride a large.

I'm 6ft5 and I have a large commy V3 and it feels great, bit too long in some tech though.

It's all down to preferance, I like longer front ends with a shorter rear end (track dependant, with my fancy adjustable CS) but yeah, he says he's been feeling comfortable on a small VP-free so you can't tell him he's an idiot for not wanting an XL

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 at 12:23 Quote
snyda wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:
snyda wrote:
your high and digging yourself deeper in a hole of talking out your ass, you say you want to enjoy the descents but your getting a bike with a smaller cockpit and shorter wheelbase/geo. Weird, I guess you like feeling unstable and sketchy on downhills? Theres a reason Santa cruz has SIZING CHARTS. If they thought someone at 6ft5 would be matched well with a large they would have put it there, but dont worry you probably know more than mechanical engineers and people with, more than likely put together, 100+ years of biking experience. Go buy that large with your knowledge it will probably feel like a cruise ship!!!! not just a boat!
the weird thing about my height is that at the shoulders I'm the same as every one of my friends who is 6'2"/6'3", I have a very tall head, I probably should have mentioned that sooner but really the sizing charts would place me at 6'3"

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 at 13:27 Quote
saying "only get an XL frame" is like saying an amp goes to 11...

sizing is relative to brands, a large frame could be just as big as an XL

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014612
Mobile Version of Website