Lowered fox 36 rlc kashima topout issue

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Lowered fox 36 rlc kashima topout issue
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 16, 2012 at 14:47 Quote
I have a brand new 2011 36float rlc kashima which I had my shop lower to 100mm for me. I am running 100psi in it as it is on my slopebike. It tops out on every rebound setting, unless rebound is turned all the way on. I'm wondering if this is a issue with not enough oil in the forks? Any help would be great thanks!

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 8:45 Quote
CsteveC wrote:
I have a brand new 2011 36float rlc kashima which I had my shop lower to 100mm for me. I am running 100psi in it as it is on my slopebike. It tops out on every rebound setting, unless rebound is turned all the way on. I'm wondering if this is a issue with not enough oil in the forks? Any help would be great thanks!
yep does sound like you need more oil . Do you hear a kind of sucking sound when they return to full travel. If so you def need more oil do this mm by mm . Sometime when bke shop take your forks apart they emty the oil out thinking the need to put that much back in. They can forget that mm's of old dirty oil gets wiped away . A few mm can make a big dif to your forks and feel so try it out . Of they may have put thiner oil in and its not thik enough to slow them down

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 10:31 Quote
superbikes wrote:
CsteveC wrote:
yep does sound like you need more oil . Do you hear a kind of sucking sound when they return to full travel. If so you def need more oil do this mm by mm . Sometime when bke shop take your forks apart they emty the oil out thinking the need to put that much back in. They can forget that mm's of old dirty oil gets wiped away . A few mm can make a big dif to your forks and feel so try it out . Of they may have put thiner oil in and its not thik enough to slow them down
I was told from another guy in the suspension "how to" forum that 100psi is to much for my top out springs which aren't designed for that kind of pressure

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 10:38 Quote
Think he maybe right there i have the same fork but 160mm i run 45/50 psi if i put 60 / 65 psi in they go solid so yeah 100 psi does seem way to high for your top out springs

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 11:43 Quote
superbikes wrote:
Think he maybe right there i have the same fork but 160mm i run 45/50 psi if i put 60 / 65 psi in they go solid so yeah 100 psi does seem way to high for your top out springs
I weight 195lbs - 205 with gear. So ya 100 psi is more pressure for a lowered fork to I think because the air chamber is smaller

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 11:45 Quote
superbikes wrote:

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 11:47 Quote
superbikes wrote:
Sorry accidentally reposted your quote. Refer the the one above

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 13:16 Quote
get in touch with Fox directly for pro advice on your issue

from my experiences lowering Floats in 32 and 36 flavours, you can experience issues when the travel is dropped too low, typically we would not take the 160mm Float to less than 140mm-150mm when making subtle geometry adjustment for all-mtn or trail bikes

air pressures, valve damping and oil weights are designed specifically for the original travel of the fork, and dramatically lowering the travel can do very funky things that the fork cannot easily cater for

as an example, I recently did "lowers service" on my 2012 Fox 32 Evo 29er RL (open bath) fork, I only had original 7.5wt Fox oil and the fork feels a bit "fast" on rebound unless its wound nearly all the way on, as they since moved to a thicker 10wt oil, which I will buy and use on my next lowers servicing session

if you are having issues with a lack of rebound damping, double check the oil volume as a lack of oil gives the damper nothing to work with

moving to a heavier viscosity fork oil in the damper can assist in this issue, but its best to talk with experienced suspension tuning shop or Fox for pro advice Wink

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 16:28 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
get in touch with Fox directly for pro advice on your issue

from my experiences lowering Floats in 32 and 36 flavours, you can experience issues when the travel is dropped too low, typically we would not take the 160mm Float to less than 140mm-150mm when making subtle geometry adjustment for all-mtn or trail bikes

air pressures, valve damping and oil weights are designed specifically for the original travel of the fork, and dramatically lowering the travel can do very funky things that the fork cannot easily cater for

as an example, I recently did "lowers service" on my 2012 Fox 32 Evo 29er RL (open bath) fork, I only had original 7.5wt Fox oil and the fork feels a bit "fast" on rebound unless its wound nearly all the way on, as they since moved to a thicker 10wt oil, which I will buy and use on my next lowers servicing session

if you are having issues with a lack of rebound damping, double check the oil volume as a lack of oil gives the damper nothing to work with

moving to a heavier viscosity fork oil in the damper can assist in this issue, but its best to talk with experienced suspension tuning shop or Fox for pro advice Wink
Ya thanks man! My lbs is fox certified. They may have just not known what pressure I would be running. Thanks!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010909
Mobile Version of Website