Avid Elixir 5 adjustment

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Avid Elixir 5 adjustment
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 17, 2012 at 17:27 Quote
I have read a bunch of different threads trying to find how to adjust my brakes but couldn't find anything specific enough so I decided to ask for myself. I have 2011 Elixir 5's and the problem I have is that I have to pull the lever for the rear brakes almost to the bars before I really start getting to the power. I know I can adjust the lever but I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to adjust the pad contact? Or if I just need to get them bled to solve it. They are the brakes that came with the bike so they are still on the factory bleed.

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 at 2:38 Quote
If your levers are wound out then you will most likely need a bleed.
Don't forgot to wind them back in a bit before doing to though.

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 at 9:28 Quote
I don't think those brakes have a pad adjust on them. What the poster above said, give them a new bleed. I have read that Avid brakes are notorious for having an awful factory bleed. If that does not work, then it might be time for a new pair of brakes. I had Elixer 5's come factory on my bike, and after three bleeds one of the levers still pulled to the bar before engaging.

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 at 9:58 Quote
Sounds like a bleed x2. I wouldn't say you need new brakes though.

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 at 11:29 Quote
Thanks guys. I have heard the same as well that the factory bleed on these can be sub par. I'll get them bled and see how things go from there. I have been thinking about selling/trading them for the XO's mainly because of the pad adjustment on the calipers. Thanks again for all your help

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 at 15:38 Quote
Banditt419 wrote:
Thanks guys. I have heard the same as well that the factory bleed on these can be sub par. I'll get them bled and see how things go from there. I have been thinking about selling/trading them for the XO's mainly because of the pad adjustment on the calipers. Thanks again for all your help

When you bleed them make sure the lever reach adjust is fully wound out, I tried bleeding my Elixir 5 about 10 times before i wound out the reach adjust and they bled perfectly first time. Avid never mentions this in any bleed guides but I've found it's very hard to get a good bleed without doing this. Instead of XOs I'd recommend getting some Saints or Hopes because even the XOs suffer from the same problems that plagues all Avid brakes.

Posted: Jul 18, 2012 at 18:04 Quote
Thanks for letting me know about the lever. When you say problems with the Avid brakes are you talking about the factory bleed problems or something else? They are appealing to me because of the adjustment capabilities but honestly I haven't researched the Hope or Saint brakes. I have heard all good about them though

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 at 1:07 Quote
In my experince Avids need bleeding regulary , I do a brake probably every 1-2 months depending on how many big tracks I ride

Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 16:10 Quote
So it's been a while and there have been some new developments. I had the rear bled and it was better at first when I was just riding on the street but then I went on my first trail ride with them since the bleed and they completely failed under downhill braking. No fluid leaks at all though. I went back the shop and they re-bled it for me and the next day the lever went straight to the handle again while going downhill. The bike shop called SRAM and they are sending me some new Elixir 7's front and rear. Still don't know what actually happened though

Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 23:31 Quote
Don't know how the bled it, but I assume they missed the bubble that is trapped into the master cylinder (and which is quite tricky to remove). With the 7s, you won't have any of these issues. Been running them for 8 months, running fine, no bleeding, to tricky levers ... (didn't have any of these problems on my old Elixir CR either but they were more prone to having problems)

Although now I'm switching to 2012 XT. Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010303
Mobile Version of Website