Noob Needs Help With Disk Brakes

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Noob Needs Help With Disk Brakes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 31, 2012 at 12:20 Quote
Just received a Charge lender 2012, my first bike with disk brakes. I went for a ride around the block and the rear rotor was rubbing so I read the manual and tried to centre the brakes. The problem is I think I've loosened the wrong bolts on the rear calliper, so when I've pulled on the lever some brake fluid has come out. I tightened the bolts up and now the lever is really spongy in fact it nearly touches the grip when I pull on it and now the rotor is squeaking which I'm guessing is because it's got brake fluid on it.

The brakes are Avid Elixir 1

Any help gratefully received as I've only had the bike a couple of days.

Thanks

Posted: Jul 31, 2012 at 13:20 Quote
You are gonna need the brakes bled , possibly new pads and possibly new rotor.
You can kind of save pads and rotors after oil contamination but in my experience they are never 100 percent again.
Super star components do cheap and good rotors and pads.

Posted: Aug 5, 2012 at 14:26 Quote
Sounds like it's a split caliper and you've split it meaning fluid has came out as big burd says you'll need everything replaced, the 2 bolts you want are on the top of the brake where you can see into the disc and pads

Posted: Aug 5, 2012 at 23:02 Quote
Pretty much what bigburd said except for the disc. Just clean it properly with either degrreaser or just soap and water. But you can trash the pads, and check in with your LBS to have the brake bled.

The 2 bolts you can unscrew to move the caliper are the ones fixing it to the adaptor (which is fixed to the frame itself). You probably (and I did that too on my first set of hydraulic brakes a couple of years ago Big Grin ) unscrewed the bolt which is used to keep both sides of the caliper in 1 piece.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013360
Mobile Version of Website