HELP! Derailleur is totally slack.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
HELP! Derailleur is totally slack.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 at 12:36 Quote
The bottom part where the two pulleys are on my sram x7 derailleur is totally slack and has no tension, so my chain has no tension either. The gears to change though. Help is really needed cause I'm going on a mountain biking trip in a few days.

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 at 14:52 Quote
I would also like to add that before I took my bike apart, the chain and derailleur where both fine. I have taken my bike apart countless times to clean and lube parts up and this is the first time that this has happened. PLEASE any suggestions or tips?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 at 15:59 Quote
Check the spring tension and if its in the right way, its how they work, if not screw the b screw in the whole way, hope i could help, its as far as i know Smile

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 at 16:15 Quote
NiallMcCullough wrote:
Check the spring tension and if its in the right way, its how they work, if not screw the b screw in the whole way, hope i could help, its as far as i know Smile
Thanks! But how do I check and possibly adjust the spring tension?

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 at 16:21 Quote
By the way, when I pull the derailleur towards the back of the bike, the chain regains tension like normal but does not stay tensioned after I release the derailleur. Would this be a spring tension issue?????????

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 at 16:56 Quote
Hey have you taken the chain off at all? I had this issue when I took the chain off and the little bump stop which is moulded in the cast of the deralleur was damaged which let the cage actually spin a whole turn around therefore having no tension like your having there. If your bike hasnt been apart it doubt it could do that though....

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 at 17:06 Quote
Yeah I've never taken the chain off. Oh and yeah I think I know the cast your talking about. I'll take a look into that thanks!

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 at 18:28 Quote
Yea sorry i forgot about that, theres a bump on your derailleur which sits on the bump on your hanger sorry man

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 at 18:33 Quote
NiallMcCullough wrote:
Yea sorry i forgot about that, theres a bump on your derailleur which sits on the bump on your hanger sorry man
Lol its all good don't worry

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 at 19:26 Quote
Could you guys possibly post pics of the bumps your talking about?????

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 at 16:33 Quote
Ok so I went to my bike shop and they gave me some advice on how to fix my issue. If that doesn't work, $75 for a new derailleur :-/

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 at 17:13 Quote
Na mate dont be paying that, sorry ive been busy il try and explain now Smile

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 at 17:27 Quote
Im sorry this is so vague but im on my phone as my laptops on the brink. www.exchangecycletours.org/rdadjustment.htm if you then go down to the picture which is looking straight at the derailleur (looking at the bike from back wheel to front) and you'll see his limiter screw is resting on the derailleur hanger, if you remove your mech from the hanger you should see a small lip on it, this is for a bump on your derailleur. Basically twist the derailleur back as far as you can backwards then screw the screw in a small bit and it should drop down and rest on the bump. Hope it helped

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 at 17:55 Quote
Yup that's what I'm going to try Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011395
Mobile Version of Website