Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 9:21 Quote
MattJ99 wrote:
rhiwfawrdirt wrote:
I have a DMR Bolt Mark2 currently set up 135qr with a hope pro 2 evo hub and am wanting to convert it to 142x12. I'm just after a bit of clarity on what I actually need to purchase.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-pro2pro4-evo-rear-hub-conversion-kit/ Does this come with the 12mm end caps and an Larger diameter axle or do I need to by them separate?

Then there are the dropouts, are these the correct ones? https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/53459/DMR_142mm_Hub_SwopOut_Dropout_V2_

And finally, the through axle, Would this have to be the dmr specific axle or could something like a maxle be used? I'm not sure if the dropouts have a thread on the drive side or not.

Thanks
you'll need the x12 axle kit (it'll be an option to select when you go to buy it) if you're wanting to convert to 12x142 and AFAIK any 142x12 through axle should be fine- you'll need to buy this separately though as the hope kit won't come with one. The dropouts you asked about are the right ones you'll need
not all 142x12 axles are the same. He'll need one specific for his dropouts. If they're x12 dropouts then it's an x12 specific axle.

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 9:42 Quote
I was reading a thread and a guy said his Shimano e-thru axle didn't fit. It was too long. So not sure what axle you're meant to use.

I know DMR have their own 12x142mm axle. I guess that will work.

They seem to be non threaded dropouts. So an axle with a nut is needed. Although a guy posted an adapter with threads in. See link to thread below...

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/strange-dmr-bolt-rear-axle-problem

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 10:21 Quote
I think I'm going to have to give DMR a ring on Monday and find it out exactly what axle/ dropout I need to get and if I can run a maxle, Ideally I'd like to for ease of use.

I'll report back

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 13:44 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
New bike with temporary place holder 32.
New whip,
Waiting on Yari, specialized OEM xo cranks, GX group, deore brakes for now, enve carbon bars.
Roval alu rims with new Spesh tires.

deore brakes and enve bars? interesting.

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 14:00 Quote
iffy wrote:
just clean them with a drop of fork lube.

smear a small drop around them and cycle them through the travel once or twice and any dirt trapped in the seals should get lifted out and leave a ring you can wipe off. repeat till nothing comes out. clean off any excess around the seals to stop dirt sticking to it whan done.

gaitors tend to trap water and dirt.

Thanks, doews it come out because the air pushes then out when you compress the fork?

Do people worry about dropper posts getting mud in the dropping bit?

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 14:09 Quote
the lip on the seal scrapes the stanction as it enters but will loosen slightly to allow debris to pull out.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.psiseal.com/images/Bronze-Scraper-cropped.jpg
dont worry about it they do suffer from poor conditions but they cope well if looked after, they will require servicing and spares eventually. only way to keep it mint is not use it!

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 14:12 Quote
thanks. do I need to do it every ride or will it still come out after a few months?

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 14:14 Quote
guys I have a merida big seven 20 2015; very basic bike that has "cartridge bearing" bottom bracket. it has a square taper crank.

advanced models from 2016 have a BB30 bottom bracket, advianced models from 2014 use a shimano hollowtech ii (i read is a threaded) so ...

is it likely to be threaded BB, pressfit, or other? if i would like to fit a set of used BB/crank how do i know if it will fit? thanks

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 14:27 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:
thanks. do I need to do it every ride or will it still come out after a few months?

if you leave dirt in there it will accelerate the wear of the internals, it depends how much and on the conditions you ride in but you want to do a lowers service on the forks every 30-50 hours or so, so maybe 10-20 rides?

it'll take you about 45 min, and cost about 50p in oil.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 15:53 Quote
Hey, so I have a chain that's pretty stiff and gunked up. I have removed it from the bike. What is the best way to clean it/bring it back to life a little? I don't have one of those chain cleaner tools, so looking for an alternative.
Thanks

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 15:56 Quote
blazekelly wrote:
Hey, so I have a chain that's pretty stiff and gunked up. I have removed it from the bike. What is the best way to clean it/bring it back to life a little? I don't have one of those chain cleaner tools, so looking for an alternative.
Thanks

Throw it in a Tupperware or bowl with 1 part water 2 parts simple green or other degreaser and let soak for a while, shaking around and scrubbing every once in a while. Should free up most gunk. Then rinse thoroughly and dry thoroughly.

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 16:01 Quote
sopro13 wrote:
blazekelly wrote:
Thanks

Throw it in a Tupperware or bowl with 1 part water 2 parts simple green or other degreaser and let soak for a while, shaking around and scrubbing every once in a while. Should free up most gunk. Then rinse thoroughly and dry thoroughly.

Do this but use almost boiling water. It loosens the grease and dirt twice as fast

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 16:03 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:
guys I have a merida big seven 20 2015; very basic bike that has "cartridge bearing" bottom bracket. it has a square taper crank.

advanced models from 2016 have a BB30 bottom bracket, advianced models from 2014 use a shimano hollowtech ii (i read is a threaded) so ...

is it likely to be threaded BB, pressfit, or other? if i would like to fit a set of used BB/crank how do i know if it will fit? thanks

Just about all square taper bb's are for threaded frames dude. I seriously doubt it would be press fit

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 16:04 Quote
Awesome, off to do that now.
Cheers

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.040260
Mobile Version of Website