Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jun 20, 2018 at 18:52 Quote
scart22 wrote:
Hi! So... I have a 2005 Stumpy FSR120. It - perhaps unsurprisingly - is built around a 120mm fork. In my case, it's a Reba Race. Unfortunately, it's toast and according to my LBS, isn't rebuildable. Super hella toast. Also unfortunately, the frame / head-tube is a 1 1/8 non-tapered headset, making replacement forks really difficult to find.

So... if I were able to find a lovingly used 140mm fork that fits (there seem to be more of those on the market than 120mm), how badly will it break my geometry? Am I just looking at a little difference in downhill performance? Or am I in danger of going ass over teakettle or snapping off my head-tube or something?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

While a 140 will probably be just fine, the magic number you are looking for is call "axel to crown height" this is the distance between the front axel and the fork crown. Every frame has an acceptable range of axel to crown height. If you really want to be certain, find this value and compair it to the axel to crown height of the fork you are considering.

That said, if it was me... I would just run the 140 and call it a day.

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 2:44 Quote
Question for coil riders out there..

I have a rockshox vivid rc2 which in certain places has started making skid noises over bumps and feeling harsh, why is this happening? Compression is all the way open and barely any preload on the spring

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 7:11 Quote
Skid noises?, my ccdb used to make some strange noises when I got it, it was secondhand, I got it serviced and now it's silent.
Was thinking could it be the coil rubbing on the body?

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 12:49 Quote
Hmm.. sounds like its coming from the damper, worth servicing I guess.

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 13:39 Quote
May not be the shock. Have you checked your linkage bearings?
Remove the shock and see if the rear end moves freely?

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 18:59 Quote
Ordered new brake calipers that will come with ceramic pads. I’ve been using metallic pads. My rotors still have plenty of life left and I’d like to continue using them. Can I just rub down the rotors with isopropyl and bed in the new pads or do I need to clean them with an actual cleaner.

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 22:51 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
Ordered new brake calipers that will come with ceramic pads. I’ve been using metallic pads. My rotors still have plenty of life left and I’d like to continue using them. Can I just rub down the rotors with isopropyl and bed in the new pads or do I need to clean them with an actual cleaner.

probably fine. isopropyl is pretty strong.

Posted: Jun 22, 2018 at 4:03 Quote
give the disks a little rub with some emery cloth/wet n dry paper fist then clean them with the IPA

Posted: Jun 22, 2018 at 17:42 Quote
I noticed cracking around one spoke on my rear wheel today. Wheel is still tru and spoke is still under tension. Obviously I’m going to have to replace the rim but any thoughts on how risky it is to continue to ride in this condition? Would you expect the wheel to slowly go untrue or fail catastrophically (generally speaking)?

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 22, 2018 at 18:41 Quote
That happened because there was too much spoke tension.

Loosen that spoke and periodically check the area, If the crack spreads don't ride it.

Posted: Jun 23, 2018 at 0:51 Quote
With the amount it's pulling up and out of the rim, I'd say it's unsafe to ride. Simply loosening the tension on the spoke isn't nearly enough to make it safer.

Posted: Jun 23, 2018 at 0:55 Quote
I would not worry about it, make sure the tension around the wheel is as even as you can get it.

keep an eye on it...happy trails.

Posted: Jun 23, 2018 at 8:26 Quote
seraph wrote:
With the amount it's pulling up and out of the rim, I'd say it's unsafe to ride. Simply loosening the tension on the spoke isn't nearly enough to make it safer.
atleast you're not going to be putting more tension on that spot other than the regular stress of riding.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024413
Mobile Version of Website